Need a new phone which isn't too big. Max Nexus 5 size. Stretchable Budget

Techguy

In the zone
Budget: Upto 20K. Might be able to stretch if it's worth it.

Display: Should be good. Don't mind 720p.

Dual Sim: Doesn't matter; not really needed.

Camera: Not gonna be taking too many pictures, but the camera should work well when I need it. Should take satisfactory pics atleast.

Primary use: Texting, internet, listening to music. Not much gaming. Mostly FB, Reddit, Twitter.

Connectivity: 3G minimum. 4G optional.

Main constraint is the phone size. I'm looking at the phonearena.com phone size compare tool; the phone should be no larger than a Nexus 5 (unless it's realllly worth it). I would like something the size of the original MotoX / 2015 MotoE.
Thickness is NO issue. Max thickness around 1.5cm (so theoretically almost all phones).

Battery life should be good. Around 5hrs Screen on Time.

Camera's as I mentioned won't be used much; but should be able to take decent pics when needed.

I would prefer a phone with good developer support, particularly Cyanogenmod, PAC Rom, AOKP. Don't wanna be stuck with an old OS. However feel free to list other phones with no dev support

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE:

Is the first gen motoX available anywhere online, with warranty, for cheap? Is the battery life good? Worth it? It's 2 years old.

Was considering the Moto E 2015 4G model, but I hear the cameras are bad.

Last edited:

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
Flipkart has ran out of Sony Z1 Compact (black), which was ticking all your requirements and under 20k. There are other colours available at a higher 25k from different sellers.

There are others that do match your requirements, but I am unsure of developer support (Redmi, Hauwei, Samsung).

OP
T

Techguy

In the zone
Flipkart has ran out of Sony Z1 Compact (black), which was ticking all your requirements and under 20k. There are other colours available at a higher 25k from different sellers.

There are others that do match your requirements, but I am unsure of developer support (Redmi, Hauwei, Samsung).

What If I chuck developer support? change that to optional, forget it for now.

Which phones? Btw I need warranty, bit of after sales support.

Last edited:

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
Try GSMArena. I have selected most of the filters, change the filters to suit your preferences. The existing filters return 8 results.

OP
T

Techguy

In the zone
Not many options. Z3 Compact is a tad bit too expensive+ no dev support at all. Sony is bad with updates too.

Hoping that Motorola releases a smaller Moto G, or another model which has the body of the MotoX, but with updated specs and better battery.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Nah S4 won't suit him, he needs Dev support, Exynos version has no Dev support, or very minimal.

Your best bet will be Moto X, don't know which generation sells at what price. You will get decent enough battery life. There's okay enough XDA support and all that. Be warned though, that camera is below average.

I don't understand one thing though, you have budget up to 20k and you wanted to get the Moto E? Hmm :confused:

PS: You can get a Nexus 5 too! You can alternatively get a Lumia 830 too, as you said WP is no problem.

Last edited:
OP
T

Techguy

In the zone
Samsung Galaxy S4 @ 18k

It's 2 years old, and as mentioned exynos support isn't very good.

- - - Updated - - -

Why not OnePlus One?

It's waay too big.

- - - Updated - - -

Nah S4 won't suit him, he needs Dev support, Exynos version has no Dev support, or very minimal.

Your best bet will be Moto X, don't know which generation sells at what price. You will get decent enough battery life. There's okay enough XDA support and all that. Be warned though, that camera is below average.

I don't understand one thing though, you have budget up to 20k and you wanted to get the Moto E? Hmm :confused:

PS: You can get a Nexus 5 too! You can alternatively get a Lumia 830 too, as you said WP is no problem.

The 2nd gen MotoX is ~30k

1st gen is out of stock on Flipkart and has been removed from the indian moto site, so i guess it has been discontinued. However, it is available on other sites like ebay and amazon india for ~14-17k. The thing is those might not be official resellers, so warranty will be an issue + moto has discontinued it. Dev support is very good though.
The 1st gen MotoX had mixed reviews when it came to battery and camera, so the question is whether it's worth buying a 2 year old phone with okayish battery and camera. Love the body and size though. Hopefully they update the specs and release it as a mid range phone, but keep the size the same.

The Nexus 5 16GB has limited storage, and battery life isn't too good.
I don't think I want to spend 20k on a Windows Phone. The 830 has a good Primary cam, but secondary cam is 0.9MP. Chipset is old. The phone is too big.

I think it now comes to Redmi 2 vs Moto E.
I like stock android better, and the build of the motorola phone. It's got better battery, but that seems to be it.
Display and Camera are much better on the Redmi.

Only issue now is after sales support/service and whether I will be able to flash a ROM. Not too fond to MIUI. Would prefer CM/PAC Rom, but any other stock-ish ROM would do. Btw does rooting/unlocking the bootloader void warranty for Xaomi?

OP
T

Techguy

In the zone
Moto G is out of stock on flipkart, and has been removed from the Motorola India website. Guess it's been discontinued.

The Moto G2 is a big phone. Compared to the moto Gv1 & moto e2015 it's taller, and little wider.
It's bulkier than the Nexus 5, and I wanted something smaller than the N5.

Visual Phone Size Comparison

I think only S4 can suit your needs, otherwise there is Mi4, but you can't use it at its full potential for a long time due to heating, otherwise a great phone

If you need dev support, stick with your N5