Need a laptop for music production. Any suggestions?

ranaprathap

Broken In
Hello all. I need to buy a laptop for music production.

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen. No weight considerations. And I don't mind if the screen were any bigger. Resolution has to be at least 1366x768

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
Music production. Plenty of office works. Heavy internet usage. Watching videos. The laptop will be working at least 6-8 hours on an average day.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: HP
b. Dislike: none in particular

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
Plenty of RAM. As much RAM as I can get for this money. I need a lot of RAM for music production. 4 GB is not enough

6) Anything else you would like to say?
Battery back up ( normal (3-4hrs) / extended (5-7hrs) ) : No particular issue. Extended is an added bonus. Portability is not a concern
Purchase place ( Online (eg - flipkart, infibeam) / Local / Abroad (do mention the country) ) : Would like to purchase it locally to avoid warranty issues. Preferably from official stores. Online stores are only second preference.

If I need to give any more info, please let me know. Thanks for the help in advance.

InfyProg

Broken In
Look for Acer Aspire V5 series, you might need to upgrade ram if 8gb isnt enough. If you do lots of heavy projects getting an i7 makes best sense.
Flipkart got a good deal on that. 43k

Though wise words are getting a desktop for music production.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Look for Acer Aspire V5 series, you might need to upgrade ram if 8gb isnt enough. If you do lots of heavy projects getting an i7 makes best sense.
Flipkart got a good deal on that. 43k

ULV i7s are nothing but higher clocked ULV i5s.
There was a HP laptop with 840M + 8 GB ram but lacked FHD screen under 45k. If OP needs FHD screen in this budget Lenovo Z50 is an option. I wouldn't pick Acer for above 25k laptops in India.

OP
R

ranaprathap

Broken In

I already have a desktop for music production. This is my second option, to be a comparitively portable solution.

This has come down to a choice between Lenovo z50 and an acer aspire v5 I guess. The acer aspire V5 comes with 8 GB RAM, i7 and 4 GB dedicated graphics(even though I don't need it) but is not FHD. The Lenovo z50 is only 4 GB RAM to start with, and is i5 without dedicated graphics, and has less battery life, but it is FHD and 4k cheaper. And I will have to upgrade the RAM. I do use an Acer Aspire 5710G for quite some time, and I am not unhappy with Acer laptops in general.

I don't think processor will be affecting performance in my case. I produce orchestral music from pre-processed samples. So the main things that would affect my performance will be the RAM and the read-write speed of my HDD(I can't afford SSD at the moment, so that is ruled out). FHD is impressive, if I won't be using multi-screen, so I am a bit more inclined towards the Lenovo at the moment. What do you guys think?

InfyProg

Broken In
ULV i7s are nothing but higher clocked ULV i5s.
There was a HP laptop with 840M + 8 GB ram but lacked FHD screen under 45k. If OP needs FHD screen in this budget Lenovo Z50 is an option. I wouldn't pick Acer for above 25k laptops in India.
FHD is not a necessity for music production, you need a processing power & ample amount of ram.
Btw this Aspire one is my suggestion because its not an ultrabook formfactor laptop, as he needs to keep it running for 4-8hrs plus gt750m
I have good experience with acer laptops my bro still has his centrino c2d powered laptop up & running well.
And with HP I have really bad experience graphic failure is common problem with HP.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Then OP should look for a second hand laptop with a proper quad core i7 instead of ULV ones, unless of course he can increase budget to 60k

Top Bottom