Need a laptop for designing/light gaming that doesn't weigh like a brick

xerxes3117

Broken In
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD) 1 lakh INR (1400-1500USD)

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
  • Thin and Light; 14" screen
  • Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen (preferred)

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
Programming:
1) Development (visual studio)
2) Design (Photoshop, adobe illustrator)

Gaming:
1) Arcade fighting games like street fighter/soul caliber
2) MMOs like Dota 2, Tera online etc

Casual:
1) Browsing and watching FHD/4K videos

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
- Display - Good color coverage and brightness with at least 1080p
- CPU - At least i7-8550U (preferably i7-8750H)
- GPU - At least 1050 ti Max Q GPU (preferably 1060 6gb, 1070 might overkill for me)
- Weight - At most 2.4 kg
- Storage - At least 128 GB SSD (preferably NVMe) and up gradable
- RAM - At least 8 GB and up gradable to 32 GB
- Battery backup - 6-7 hours on normal usage, 2-3 hrs on gaming

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
no

6) Anything else you would like to say?
Good display, CPU and weight are my priority however i also want to be able to do some gaming with it. Also i would prefer a laptop without any keyboard issue (as i'm gonna be programming on it). Might be able to order from outside India but not before December so would prefer to buy from India.

Shortlisted :
Here's a list I made with pros and cons (in my opinion) :
Laptop list

From the above list i'm inclined towards buying these 3 laptops:
1) MSI GF63 (but not sure about this as there are not much reviews about this laptop. Also MSI support in India doesn't seem to be trustworthy)
2) Dell XPS 15 9570 (looks awesome despite heating issues but is this worth the money? Also why is this laptop imported from USA?)
3) Asus TUF FX504 GM-en017t (Great laptop all around but something seems wrong here. The model i shortlisted in above list is only available on paytmall which seems weird considering such the specs and the price)

Also this is not very urgent requirement for me. Should i wait another 1-2 months to get a better deal or a better laptop being released? (Asus Strix scar 2/hero 2 have just been released and Asus TUF FX-505 got announced )

Please help!

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Laptops are too much overpriced in India & not even all good models are available here.If it is possible to get a laptop from USA via some returning friend/relative/contact then better get it from there.

That asus Tuf laptop seems good but when looking at specifications it says 1060 6gb DDR3 which I think is a typo but I would rather confirm it first at official asus forum/support(& by that I don't mean call centre people who probably don't even know the difference between ram & gfx card ram let alone gfx card with ddr3 vs gddr5 vram).
ASUS TUF Gaming FX504

OP
X

xerxes3117

Broken In
Laptops are too much overpriced in India & not even all good models are available here.If it is possible to get a laptop from USA via some returning friend/relative/contact then better get it from there.

That asus Tuf laptop seems good but when looking at specifications it says 1060 6gb DDR3 which I think is a typo but I would rather confirm it first at official asus forum/support(& by that I don't mean call centre people who probably don't even know the difference between ram & gfx card ram let alone gfx card with ddr3 vs gddr5 vram).
ASUS TUF Gaming FX504
Yeah i was also skeptical about that description. I'd rather wait for the FX505 which happens to be lighter with 1060 GTX. (although as per reviews online both fx504 and fx505 have a bad/average quality IPS display)
What do you think about dell xps 15? I've heard it has got some heating issues.
Also, for some reason i never see any news about this laptop (dell xps 15) in Indian market or reviews on youtube from Indian customers.

Last edited:
Yeah i was also skeptical about that description. I'd rather wait for the FX505 which happens to be lighter with 1060 GTX. (although as per reviews online both fx504 and fx505 have a bad/average quality IPS display)
What do you think about dell xps 15? I've heard it has got some heating issues.
Also, for some reason i never see any news about this laptop (dell xps 15) in Indian market or reviews on youtube from Indian customers.
Don't have high hopes from Asus to bring it to India soon. They launched the 1060 model 2-3 week ago.

XPS 15 is for professionals who need a powerful laptop. Due to its small chassis & some laziness by Dell, it does get very hot. XPS 15 is too costly in India & rarely anyone would spend that much. Even 1 lakh is too much for Indians. My 75k laptop was considered too much spending on a laptop even in 2016.

I'd say that Asus TUF FX504 with 1060 seems to be a good choice. The 120Hz panel is a good one whereas the 60Hz one is average at best, in terms of color reproduction & contrast. Acer Predator Helios 300 has a better display (similar to 120Hz of Asus but at 60Hz). If you are concerned about weight & bulkiness Asus TUF is better than Predator. Its cooling system is sufficient for 1050Ti, don't have any reviews for 1060 but it should be fine, expect 85-90C for CPU GPU at worst with loud fan noise. Use a cooling pad or raise the back portion of the laptop with a book or something.

Also this is not very urgent requirement for me. Should i wait another 1-2 months to get a better deal or a better laptop being released? (Asus Strix scar 2/hero 2 have just been released and Asus TUF FX-505 got announced )

Please help!

Scar II & Hero II have a slim chance of India release due to cost. It starts at $1600 here. Even Asus GL703GM isn't available in India but going on sale here for as low as $1350 which makes it a great choice. Even the $1200 USA launched Acer Predator Helios 300 isn't available in India, Indian one lacks 144Hz display.

You can hope for a better deal towards the end of the year due to upcoming GPU which I think should be available in the USA by Nov end or at least by Christmas. People do buy a lot of stuff here during that period & companies wouldn't want to miss the chance.

OP
X

xerxes3117

Broken In
Don't have high hopes from Asus to bring it to India soon. They launched the 1060 model 2-3 week ago.

XPS 15 is for professionals who need a powerful laptop. Due to its small chassis & some laziness by Dell, it does get very hot. XPS 15 is too costly in India & rarely anyone would spend that much. Even 1 lakh is too much for Indians. My 75k laptop was considered too much spending on a laptop even in 2016.

I'd say that Asus TUF FX504 with 1060 seems to be a good choice. The 120Hz panel is a good one whereas the 60Hz one is average at best, in terms of color reproduction & contrast. Acer Predator Helios 300 has a better display (similar to 120Hz of Asus but at 60Hz). If you are concerned about weight & bulkiness Asus TUF is better than Predator. Its cooling system is sufficient for 1050Ti, don't have any reviews for 1060 but it should be fine, expect 85-90C for CPU GPU at worst with loud fan noise. Use a cooling pad or raise the back portion of the laptop with a book or something.
My biggest problem with asus FX504 is the display. It has got 64% sRGB which seems to be below average when comparing with other laptops.
What if i import dell xps 15 through a friend? Found that its available for around 90k in USA (which might get lower during december) Wouldn't this be a better deal (except the fact that i'll have to sacrifice 1060 gtx available in asus fx504)

OP
X

xerxes3117

Broken In
Scar II & Hero II have a slim chance of India release due to cost. It starts at $1600 here. Even Asus GL703GM isn't available in India but going on sale here for as low as $1350 which makes it a great choice. Even the $1200 USA launched Acer Predator Helios 300 isn't available in India, Indian one lacks 144Hz display.

You can hope for a better deal towards the end of the year due to upcoming GPU which I think should be available in the USA by Nov end or at least by Christmas. People do buy a lot of stuff here during that period & companies wouldn't want to miss the chance.
I guess i'll wait for Diwali/end year sales.
Are you sure about scar and hero II? I found that they have already been released (not sure if the source below is valid)
Asus Strix SCAR II and the Hero II launched in India: Price, specifications

OP
X

xerxes3117

Broken In
Are you sure about scar and hero II? I found that they have already been released (not sure if the source below is valid)
Although i don't think they would be priced anywhere near my budget range.

Ok, seems legit, didn't know about it.

Top Bottom