Need a Laptop for Data Science

siddharchris

Broken In
1) What is your budget? (INR)
75,000 - 80,000 Max

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
  • Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3)What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?

For practicing Data Science algorithms. Scripting intensive computations and matrix calculations in R and Python. Mutithreading capability is required. Would be working with huge data sets (in GBs) so need appropriate memory power (min 8 GB).

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?

Read 7th / 8th Gen i7 would be best, but i5 would just be good enough for practice problems. Min 8 GB (expandable upto 16 GB) RAM, 1 TB HDD (for storing the data sets), 256 GB SSD (wouldnt be a problem if I can add it standalone) and a good enough GPU (heard GTX 1050 onwards must suit good)

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: ASUS (For its build quality and Global warranty)
b. Dislike: Nothing. Any brand faltering in build quality and after sales support should be 'No'

6) Anything else you would like to say?
  • OS - Dont need a Windows preinstalled.
  • GPU - Not very sure about the available options in India. Kindly recommend anything that will be helpful for medium level matrix calculations
  • Screen resolution - 1080p (Full HD)
  • Battery back up - Not a problem. Since I'll be connecting the laptop always to a power source (90%)
  • Purchase place - Online and physical. Doesn't have anyone from US to avail the benefit of price difference.
  • Warranty - Looking for global warranty. At least global support in developed US / Europe countries.
  • Build quality - is very important. Used HP G6 2005 AX for the last 6 years. Visited the service centre thrice for fixing flimsy and breaking up body. But the 9 year old ASUS X54C still goes gun-ho even after accidental drops a couple of times.
Planning to get by July 1st or 2nd week. Recommend a laptop that can go good atleast for three years.

Thanks,
Chris.

Last edited:
Top Bottom