I AM GROOT (and so are you)
Questionnaire for laptop/notebook purchase:
1) Budget?

1L INR, give or take

2) Size & weight?
  • Thin and Light; 12" - 14" screen
  • Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    (Both will work)
3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
Primary task: Coding
Secondary task: WebBrowsing, college work
Others: Misc(multimedia/docs/2d, old games/photoediting/notetaking)

4) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
The way I see it there are 5 types of laptops in this price range:
1. Office Laptop: (since XPS isn't in my price range) Ideapad. I have no idea if they would be smooth when multitasking, browsing, compiling etc.
2. Gaming Laptop: I had this one before. While it had good performance, its battery life and mobility were laughable. Couldn't be left unplugged. HP Omens and Pavilions are around this price range. Performance to value for these seem to be the best.
3. Macbooks: Not a option, since no Windows/Linux. Seem to be the best in terms of what a laptop should be.
4. Thinkpads: They are sturdy, but have average performance. I have specifically seen E14 around my price range. Have good linux support and battery life from anecdotes. Leaning towards this option.
5. G14: Seem to be office+gaming laptop, with best of both worlds. Cheaper versions of latest models doesn't seem to be available though.

6) Anything else you would like to say?
  • Screen resolution: 1080p
  • Battery back up: extended (5-7hrs)
  • Purchase place: Preferably Amazon, but can go for flipkart too. Not any other obscure websites
  • Should have fairly good support for linux. It would be on Linux for 70% of the time.
  • Should have 16GB of RAM and a SSD, if not available it should have necessary slots to add them

Last edited:
www.amazon.in/dp/B0CFF4S5H1

This should be enough IMO. Look into linux drivers yourself. Usually AMD side is better.

www.amazon.in/dp/B0CJ2KTSV5/

This has an even better CPU & display.

AMD CPUs are more efficient than Intel ones generally, except for Intel's latest Core ultra series.

FYI - core ultra 7 155H performs around 7840U territory, so ultra 5 is inferior in performance. To state the obvious R7 7730U is inferior to both, maybe by 20%.

OP
Æsoteric Positron

Æsoteric Positron

www.amazon.in/dp/B0CFF4S5H1

This should be enough IMO. Look into linux drivers yourself. Usually AMD side is better.

This has an even better CPU & display.

AMD CPUs are more efficient than Intel ones generally, except for Intel's latest Core ultra series.

FYI - core ultra 7 155H performs around 7840U territory, so ultra 5 is inferior in performance. To state the obvious R7 7730U is inferior to both, maybe by 20%.
Alright, buying the Ideapad. Couldn't check the linux compatibility. Or anything about this laptop. Reviews are pretty scarce.

Last edited:
OP
Æsoteric Positron

Æsoteric Positron

Not related but look what I found researching this topic:

*www.amazon.in/Lenovo-IdeaPad-39-62cm-Warranty-82H803LPIN/dp/B0C6HTW7R8
Seems like serious mislable. Discription makes sense, but the product title says core 9 ultra 185H, 32 GB RAM and 1TB SSD with OLED panel at 60K

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
@omega44-xt Do you know of any Laptop in the range of 70-75k with something like an H series processor(Preferably AMD). Graphics card is not required. RAM >=16GB. Also, would Like to avoid lenovo (Asus would be my preference). I know this is vague but I basically need a good speed processor and good amount of RAM as no gaming will be done but Coding and Containers.

@omega44-xt Do you know of any Laptop in the range of 70-75k with something like an H series processor(Preferably AMD). Graphics card is not required. RAM >=16GB. Also, would Like to avoid lenovo (Asus would be my preference). I know this is vague but I basically need a good speed processor and good amount of RAM as no gaming will be done but Coding and Containers.
Asus is under fire for its RMA practices, likely they wanted to scam customers, internally trained everyone sometime last year & then Gamers Nexus happened.

www.amazon.in/Lenovo-i5-13450HX-300Nits-Graphics-83DV00BHIN/dp/B0CX8V9C7D/

Take your pick. Latter has the faster CPU & better display, but no RAM upgradability.

OP
Æsoteric Positron

Æsoteric Positron

Asus is under fire for its RMA practices, likely they wanted to scam customers, internally trained everyone sometime last year & then Gamers Nexus happened.

www.amazon.in/Lenovo-i5-13450HX-300Nits-Graphics-83DV00BHIN/dp/B0CX8V9C7D/

Take your pick. Latter has the faster CPU & better display, but no RAM upgradability.
There's also a huge weight difference. Lenovo one is significantly heavier maybe because of dedicated GPU

Top Bottom