[Want to Buy] NAS drives

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So the 1 TB HDD that is in my NAS is falling short of my requirements.
I am looking for 1 or 2 TB NAS HDD upgrade. Prices are sky rocket and so I was thinking if someone have some spares they can sell it.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Go for WD Purple or Seagate Skyhawk. They cost same as blue/baraccuda but have 1 year extra warranty and they are meant for 24x7 operations.

For 1-3 users playing 1080p videos at same time, its plenty of read write speed.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Oh man those surveillance drives are so much affordable than NAS drives. Any pros and cons for using surveillance drives instead of NAS drives?
From what I read, surveillance drives are specialized for write, while NAS drives are specialized for write and read both. Hence NAS drives cost so much more than surveillance drives.

However, for my low usage of NAS, mostly 1 person streams and that too for not more than 3 hours a day (on an average), I think surveillance drives should also do the job fine.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So got myself Seagate Skyhawk 4 TB for the NAS and Seagate barracuda 2 TB for my desktop PC.
Thanks for suggesting Skyhawk drive Nerevarine and SaiyanGoku for suggesting that should go for atleast 4 TB!

invisiblebond

Journeyman
Where can I buy WD Purple or Seagate Skyhawk 1TB online?

Should I upgrade to 2TB for the surveillance DVR? I am currently going to buy 2 cameras but will be adding 2 more when there is any offer.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Where can I buy WD Purple or Seagate Skyhawk 1TB online?

Should I upgrade to 2TB for the surveillance DVR? I am currently going to buy 2 cameras but will be adding 2 more when there is any offer.
mdcomputers, primeabgb, amazon (beware!).

I once ordered purple drive on amazon but it was an old blue drive with purple sticker on top of it. Thankfully amazon took it back.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I really prefer buying hard drives with moving parts inside from any physical shop.
God knows how packages are handled while delivery.

Top Bottom