My RX 480 lights up, but no display or fans moving

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Yo guys. Remember how excited I was to be able to finally got me a RX 480 back in the day?
Well, 2 years ago, the GPU stopped giving display, and I was busy in my marriage and stuff. So I had kept the GPU back in the original box.

Today I finally decided to install the GPU again, but hard luck the problem persist.

While the GPU LED lights up, fans are not spinning and no display is coming. I did check if "PEG" is selected instead of "IGD" in BIOS.

So what are my options? Any way to bring it back to life, or should I just go to a repair center?

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Any chance you can check GPU in another system and check another GPU in your system? This will isolate if the GPU slot and PSU to GPU cable is working fine.

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
Yo guys. Remember how excited I was to be able to finally got me a RX 480 back in the day?
Well, 2 years ago, the GPU stopped giving display, and I was busy in my marriage and stuff. So I had kept the GPU back in the original box.

Today I finally decided to install the GPU again, but hard luck the problem persist.

While the GPU LED lights up, fans are not spinning and no display is coming. I did check if "PEG" is selected instead of "IGD" in BIOS.

So what are my options? Any way to bring it back to life, or should I just go to a repair center?
Step 0 - Make sure all cables are connected properly. You may or may not be pleasantly surprised that most of the black screen problems are because of wrong or loose connections.

My thought would be first to check the GPU in another PC, so as to eliminate the possibility of bad PCI-E slot, less PSU power and other external variables(like @TheSloth suggested). Then you can try going to a repair shop, but beware, usually once GPUs are dead, they are most probably dead, so don't pay much for its repair, the solution would be only temporary. Rather than paying a repair fees, I would suggest you to buy a new GPU instead, when you are able to.
PS. I hope you weren't overclocking that baby.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
No, I don't overclock. Never thought to.

I have checked all cables properly. No dice.
I will try to test the baby in my friend's PC. Looks like that could infact be a good way to isolate the issue.

Buying a new GPU isn't in fact easy. It's a bad time to want a new GPU with the chip shortages and stuff!

quicky008

Technomancer

you have wronged your gpu by ignoring it for the sake of your marriage-and now it wants revenge!:x

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
No, I don't overclock. Never thought to.

I have checked all cables properly. No dice.
I will try to test the baby in my friend's PC. Looks like that could infact be a good way to isolate the issue.

Buying a new GPU isn't in fact easy. It's a bad time to want a new GPU with the chip shortages and stuff!
Yeah, I feel you, I had to buy a GPU in the crypto crisis.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Your GPU is very likely dead. Since it's been 2 years, I think it's not covered under warranty either.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Your GPU is very likely dead. Since it's been 2 years, I think it's not covered under warranty either.
Warranty was never applicable. Long story short, I had bought from Amazon.com using some voucher and I knew that very well.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try on another system.

Sometimes power supply is not able to supply enough power and could be the source of the problem.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
It would be interesting what the service center people have to say about repair. Is repair even an option ? AFAIK, GPU becomes a paperweight if it goes kaput and is out of warranty.

I dont have much experience in electronic boards but 99% of all GPU problems arent concerned with the GPU die itself, its usually some capacitor or other component that failed.

Top Bottom