My First PC Build - Audio/Processing/Gaming

santhosharulvanan

Right off the assembly line
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: I mainly want to use my PC for processing of photos in light room and also for audio applications where in i run a couple of amps at home and would like it to have a decent sound card with atleast 5 channels of output.
Not to mention i would also like to use it connected to WIFI to surf the net.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 50 K

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 8.1

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1 TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No, i want to use it connected to my TV using HDMI.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: I already have a Zebronics 600 Watt SMPS not sure how good it is.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: ASAP

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: No this is my first time and i will be assembling it

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Chennai

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I want a decent cabinet that would suffice me in upgrades.
Intel I5/I7 processor preffered.
I need a decent mother board with good inbuilt sound card or should i go for a sound card seperately.

Thanks in advance for helping me out in this venture.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Modified forum's 60k config

ProcessorIntel i5 444011,000
CPU Coolerstock0
MotherboardAsus B85M-G6,000
MemoryKingston HyperX Blu DDR3 4 GB 1600 MHz2,300
Graphics CardZotac GTX 960 2 GB DDR5
Power SupplySeasonic S12II 520W4,800
CabinetDeepcool TESSRACT BF2,500
Internal StorageWD Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD3,500
Sound CardAsus Xonar DG 5.1 Surround1,800
Wireless NICTP-LINK TL-WN781ND 150Mbps700
Optical DriveAsus DRW 24B3ST DVD R/W1,000
Monitornone0
KeyboardLogitech MK200 Keyboard & Mouse Combo750
MouseIncluded in combo0
Total50,350

DK_WD

WD Official
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: I mainly want to use my PC for processing of photos in light room and also for audio applications where in i run a couple of amps at home and would like it to have a decent sound card with atleast 5 channels of output.
Not to mention i would also like to use it connected to WIFI to surf the net.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I want a decent cabinet that would suffice me in upgrades.
Intel I5/I7 processor preffered.
I need a decent mother board with good inbuilt sound card or should i go for a sound card seperately.
Thanks in advance for helping me out in this venture.

Hi [MENTION=310056]santhosharulvanan[/MENTION],

Take a look of this configuration, maybe it will fulfill your requirement:

Intel i5-4590
Asus z97-PRO (In built WiFi and Audio function)
Corsair Vengeance 16GB(2 x 8)
WD Blue 1TB
Zebronics 600 Watt SMPS
Zotac GTX 960 2GB DDR5

The MOBO has in built function of WiFi and audio feature with that, there is no need to add any other peripheral devices like WiFi and sound card, and it’s support the SLI and CrossFire technology that means in the future, you can add-on a second GPU card for performance, instead of buying a new MOBO or replacing a totally new GPU.

For RAM, if you run 2 sticks, you will be running memory in dual channel which will be a greater increase in performance than running a single stick in single channel.

Hope it helps.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
@DK_WD, spending ~10k extra on the mobo instead of getting a mobo+ Sound card + WLAN card is not wise IMO. That can be used in RAM upgrade.

No point in depending on that Zebronics PSU. Who knows when a surge may happen frying all the other components.

OP
S

santhosharulvanan

@DK_WD, spending ~10k extra on the mobo instead of getting a mobo+ Sound card + WLAN card is not wise IMO. That can be used in RAM upgrade.

No point in depending on that Zebronics PSU. Who knows when a surge may happen frying all the other components.

Yes i agree with you too, but will there be space to add both graphics, sound and wifi cards on the Asus Motherboard,
the Graphichs card if quite big should occupy two PCI slots, please correct me if i am wrong.

OP
S

santhosharulvanan

[MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION]: Will there be space in mother board to add graphics card along with WIFI and sound card?
If the graphichs card is big it should occupy two PCI slots, correct me if i am wrong.

OP
S

santhosharulvanan

[MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION]: Also i see that the Asus Xonar DG sound card cannot be used in the mother board along with the Graphics card since it has only one PCIe x16 Slot. I am new in building my desktop PC so i may not be correct always.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Well, this says other than higher ram speed and cabinet dimensions, there are no compatibility issues:

Intel Core i5-4440, Zotac GeForce GTX 960, Deepcool TESSERACT BF - System Build - PCPartPicker

DK_WD

WD Official
Yes i agree with you too, but will there be space to add both graphics, sound and wifi cards on the Asus Motherboard,
the Graphichs card if quite big should occupy two PCI slots, please correct me if i am wrong.

In Asus z97-PRO has in built WiFi and Audio function. So there is no need to add the extra cards for sound and WiFi function, and on MOBO have some extra PCI slots for your future proofing.

To check the specification of Asus z97-PRO, you may refer to the link below
Motherboard - Z97-PRO - ASUS

OP
S

santhosharulvanan

^ Z97 Pro again costs 17-18k and is not suited for a 50k config.

I agree with you with respect to the price factor, also what i am worried off is the size of the graphics card.
Since it is quite huge can you please confirm that the graphics card uses one PCI slot and covers the other since its size is big. Also in this case i am left with only one PCI slot for expansion which i can use either for sound card or for Wireless PCI.
Total PCI slots in Asus B85M is three; out of which one is used by graphics card and the other is covered by graphics card due to its huge size. I am only left with one PCI slot for expansion now.
In this case should i consider a motherboard of form factor ATX.

E.g Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H 32GB DDR3

If we go for ATX sized mother board will Deep Cool Tesseract BF be sufficient?
Are there other options i can consider.
If you confirm that the graphics card will not cover the PCI slot i will go ahead and get Asus B85.

- - - Updated - - -

In Asus z97-PRO has in built WiFi and Audio function. So there is no need to add the extra cards for sound and WiFi function, and on MOBO have some extra PCI slots for your future proofing.

To check the specification of Asus z97-PRO, you may refer to the link below
Motherboard - Z97-PRO - ASUS

I totally agree with your option but price being 18K in flipkart is quite too huge for me :( .
I would get an SSD for 8 K and add it to my existing mother board if i get one in the range of 10K that matches my purpose.
I am not going against you but this is my situation. Worst case scenario where i dont find a mother board with expansion slots that i need i will buy the Asus Z97 Pro, also it uses the latest chipset from Intel if i am not wrong, i will be worth getting it if i had the cash.

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
One PCIe will be blocked, there's no dening that. you can get an USB wifi adapter instead of a NIC.

A

amit.tiger12

why you want wifi in built? or wifi card or usb wifi ?
it's safer if you use wired network, at least for "old school" computer :)
adding wifi card or etc will cost you more.. use wire it will be useful.

OP
S

santhosharulvanan

why you want wifi in built? or wifi card or usb wifi ?
it's safer if you use wired network, at least for "old school" computer :)
adding wifi card or etc will cost you more.. use wire it will be useful.

The thing is my Wifi router is placed in a location where i cannot use my computer, i am going to use it paired with my TV and i dont have my router there :(

- - - Updated - - -

One PCIe will be blocked, there's no dening that. you can get an USB wifi adapter instead of a NIC.

What about this motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H 32GB DDR3 ?
Is it worth spending extra cash to get this , the size factor is ATX for above mentioned motherboard and can it fit in the Deep Cool Tesseract BF along with the graphics card which occupies quite some space.
This has more expansion slots and 6GB SATA connection which can be used if we add in extra hard disks to the CPU.

A

amit.tiger12

The thing is my Wifi router is placed in a location where i cannot use my computer, i am going to use it paired with my TV and i dont have my router there :(

not overclocking so why waste money on z97 chipset...
get h97

Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI Motherboard - Gigabyte : Flipkart.com

Gigabyte LGA 1150 H97 Wi-Fi Bluetooth HDMI SATA 6Gb: Amazon.in: Electronics

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku

- - - Updated - - -

What about this motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H 32GB DDR3 ?
Is it worth spending extra cash to get this , the size factor is ATX for above mentioned motherboard and can it fit in the Deep Cool Tesseract BF along with the graphics card which occupies quite some space.
This has more expansion slots and 6GB SATA connection which can be used if we add in extra hard disks to the CPU.

get a H97, Z97 is for overclocking

rabjabber

Journeyman
Modified forum's 60k config

ProcessorIntel i5 444011,000
CPU Coolerstock0
MotherboardAsus B85M-G6,000
MemoryKingston HyperX Blu DDR3 4 GB 1600 MHz2,300
Graphics CardZotac GTX 960 2 GB DDR5
Power SupplySeasonic S12II 520W4,800
CabinetDeepcool TESSRACT BF2,500
Internal StorageWD Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD3,500
Sound CardAsus Xonar DG 5.1 Surround1,800
Wireless NICTP-LINK TL-WN781ND 150Mbps700
Optical DriveAsus DRW 24B3ST DVD R/W1,000
Monitornone0
KeyboardLogitech MK200 Keyboard & Mouse Combo750
MouseIncluded in combo0
Total50,350

id say extend the budget by 3-4k and get amd fx-6300 (7500 rupees) and msi 970a-g43 (5500 rupees). furthermore get a cabinet around 1000 rupees and also save some money on the power supply by getting corsair vs550 (3200) which is actually better. (80 plus gold vs bronze)

this all gives you around 11000 extra using which you can get a gtx 970

oh and it also allows you to overcolock...

Top Bottom