My Athlon 64-bit is slower than 32-bit ?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I upgraded my Proc, M/B & RAM for AMD Athlon 64-bit 2800+ but still my system performs slower older AMD Athlon 32-bit. Application launching is very slow. Sound skips during heavy workload (on winamp 5.1). Nero gives DMA not active warning everytime I burn CDs.

This is the config of my system:-

Proc: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 2800+
Speed: 1.81GHz
L2 Cache: 512kB

Mainboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. K8S-MX
(Latest BIOS, version 1015)

Graphics Card: On-board SiS (i guess it's not recognized!)
Adapter: SiS 651_661FX_741_760_760GX_M661FX_M661MX_M741_M760_M760GX

RAM: 256MB DDR-SDRAM (32 MB shared for video, upto 64MB)
Hard Disk: SAMSUNG SV2044D (20GB)

Logical Drives:
WinXP (C: ): 9.3GB (5.1GB, 55% Free) (NTFS)
Music (D: ): 5.0GB (478MB, 9% Free) (NTFS)
Games (E: ): 4.7GB (2.1GB, 44% Free) (NTFS)

O/S: MS Win XP/2002 Pro (Win32 x86) 5.01.2600
(Service Pack 2)

I hope I gave all the req specs. Can anyone help me out?
Also, bout the DMA thing, I followed the response from ASUS help Centre but Nero still does the same!

CYa!
Rohit

G

gxsaurav

First check if all the drivers are installed properly, I have used this motherboard my self, & it's works fine

OP
R

rohithsharma84

Broken In
Yup, all the drivers are installed properly (from M/B CD) except maybe for the graphics adapter. I guess that's why it shows a long string of chars after SiS!
But is THAT the whole problem? Could it be that my HDD is worn out and slower than it should be? It was a second hand.

well?

OP
R

rohithsharma84

Broken In
Like i said, i already asked ASUS about the DMA prob. They asked me to do the same thing you did. Both Pri & Sec IDE are with "Use DMA if available".
Still Nero bugs me. So i guess there should be another solution.
BTW, I haven't come across a forum so busy as Digit's. This rocks!

H

harsh bajpai

@rohitsharma84
pal i really think you shoud consider increasing your RAM
since your ram is shared it really becomes very low and
224MB RAM will hardly be able to complement an amd athlon processor which i think is running XP, right? increasing ram would definately help you.

G

gxsaurav

RAM is good & so is the HD , it's enough, although getting a faster 7200 RPM current generatioon HD is recomended but not required

here's what U do,

1) Disable Cool & quite in the BIOS
2) Reinstall Windows from scratch, after a format, then all the drivers etc, download the ltest drivers
3) Don't worry about the long string in gfx card drivers, it's only the name
4) Disable D.E.P, although for Athlon64 it's hardware based, but still try to disable it

7mm

Broken In
It's Only 1/2 job done........

Nice job.....that's almost 'The P'fact' discription.
OK my friend........it looks like a BMW M3 Engine 'FIXED' in to a Maruti 800. With AMD Athlon series & Asus Motherboard (....though with SiS chipset....anyway) you've got some power apgrade. But rest of the parts just dosn't do any justice to your MAIN hardware combo.

1. HDD : It's too old now (May be year 2000 purchase)as it runs on UDMA66 & that's slow.
2. Also 256MB RAM with shared Mem. will make you feel uneasy with OS like Windows XP. So @least get 512 runing.
3. Also don't you ever install your heavy applications such as Games on your last partition, just keep it close to your windows partition. e.g. D:\Games
4. Also Upgrade your BIOS version.
5. For now Most Unignorable thing with Windows XP is Service Pack 2, it's essential for 32bit Windows XP to run new Hardware "PERFACLY"......well @least 64bit stuff.

As far as your DMA is not right, I'd say IDE channel has somthing to do with it. Just remove your Primary / Secondary IDE Channel (Whichever holds the problematic Optical drive) from Device Manager, and restart. Good Luck. :idea:

AcceleratorX

Youngling
I've seen PCs with VIA chipsets have this problem.....and the solutions were either of the following:

1)Remove the memory modules and cleaned them, then put them back in.

2)Enter BIOS, disable Cool and Quiet (I've not seen any problems with it enabled though, except for some infernal noise).

3) In the BIOS, make sure that the HyperTransport bus is running at 800MHz (Socket 754)....

4)And make sure that ECC is disabled in the BIOS if you don't have ECC RAM.

OP
R

rohithsharma84

Broken In
Well I feel like a dolt having, as a friend aptly described, "A BMW engine on a Maruti 800". From what I gather I need to:
1. Get a faster HDD (Segate Baracuda 80/160GB 7200rpm?)
2. Get more RAM (512MB)
3. Disable Cool n Quiet
4. Reshuffle my drives (games closer to C: )

Anything else?

Thx for all the help guys!

Rohit

technoteen

Journeyman
Dont Worry About spending even a penny on hardware first try this,
It worked for my Samsung DVD Combo on MSI-RS480

1. Set The Option for use "DMA if Available" in Property Page of every IDE Controller

2. Open RegEdit

3. Find the following KEY:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000x

4. The last four digits will be 0000, 0001, 0002, 0003, and so on.

5. Under each key, delete all occurences of the following values:
Code:
MasterIdDataChecksum
SlaveIdDataChecksum

6. Reboot the computer. Windows will now redetect DMA settings.

OP
R

rohithsharma84

Broken In
thanks for the tip dude, but there were no MasterIdDataChecksum or SlaveIdDataChecksum under 0000.
By the way I had only 0000. What does this mean? Only one DMA enabled drive? I don't have a clue!
CYa!
RoHiT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom