MSI Sword 15 vs Dell G15 vs Apple MacBook Air

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
Will touchscreens come to the MacBook soon? That would slow down the iPad lineup but next year there might be a very expensive MacBook refresh coming with a touchscreen.

It's mostly productivity so getting the MacBook Air never personally owned a Mac before. Would 8GB RAM suffice I'm not sure if I will need the whole 16GB RAM even though I can have it as future-proof. MacBooks generally last 8-9 years I believe with the software updates. Is worth paying the extra roughly $250 for the RAM worth it?
I dont think touch screen would ever come to mac as apple already has ipad for that they would not put bullet in the hole to their existing products.

As for your requirement if you want to do heavy video editing or switching between 2-3 heavy softwares at once like if you have adobe photoshop chrome tabs and adoble premiere pro open and you're doing your wokrk and rapidly switching between those then get 16 GB model.
Else if you are doing only 1 task at once then 8 GB would be suffice

OP
powerstarprince

powerstarprince

In the zone
Thank you for your suggestion I just went for 16GB RAM and everything same as the base model. So now my configuration looks like Apple M1 chip / 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU / 16GB RAM / 256GB SSD / Space Gray all for $1069.00

Just a question would the performance of Steam games like The Witcher 3 or FIFA 22 be the same as Windows or less optimized for the Mac?

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
Thank you for your suggestion I just went for 16GB RAM and everything same as the base model. So now my configuration looks like Apple M1 chip / 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU / 16GB RAM / 256GB SSD / Space Gray all for $1069.00

Just a question would the performance of Steam games like The Witcher 3 or FIFA 22 be the same as Windows or less optimized for the Mac?
Yes thats true they are less optimised.
I would not suggest gaming on macs at all although if you want to play then do it once I tried to play dota 2 once on my mac though steam and it was lagging and fans went all full and never tried gaming since then.
Not familiar with gaming performance on latest m1 macs You can check youtube for their gaming performace.

As I said earlier, forget gaming on Mac. There should be some benchmarks available online for you to see, still, my comment stands as Mac is definitely optimized for productivity. Lack of optimization from Apple mainly makes Macs almost useless for gaming.

OP
powerstarprince

powerstarprince

In the zone
That's true I'm using a Linux Mint OS on my current laptop and I only tried a couple of games through Lutris and I also like to play Nintendo ROMs on Citra emulator. The performance is alright but the CPU throttles a lot and the fans are too loud. Definitely Windows is best for gaming.

Got an Xbox One to play games so that's fine I guess. Never tried gaming on Mac before and yeah how do you play Candy Crush without a touchscreen. Okay so play all iOS games that currently support M1 with mouse? It wouldn't be so much fun to be honest.

I definitely miss the experience from a gaming laptop I had an Asus N55sf and used it for an year before giving it away. A lot of games played smooth at the time. My heart still wants a gaming laptop again but since I never owned a MacBook before and I like Apple devices recently I prefer to choose the Mac.

Would you know of any gaming laptop that can also produce great battery life, is light-weight and has excellent screen and performance? Which can be comparable to a MacBook but can also play games just like a gaming laptop without much throttling issues. Something which is a hybrid between a gaming laptop and an ultrabook but does not cost above the MacBook. I liked a few options from above such as Dell G15 and Lenovo Legion with Ryzen 7 processors. MSI Sword sure the design looks good and MSI GF65 with RTX 3060 but an older gen CPU.

That's true I'm using a Linux Mint OS on my current laptop and I only tried a couple of games through Lutris and I also like to play Nintendo ROMs on Citra emulator. The performance is alright but the CPU throttles a lot and the fans are too loud. Definitely Windows is best for gaming.

Got an Xbox One to play games so that's fine I guess. Never tried gaming on Mac before and yeah how do you play Candy Crush without a touchscreen. Okay so play all iOS games that currently support M1 with mouse? It wouldn't be so much fun to be honest.

I definitely miss the experience from a gaming laptop I had an Asus N55sf and used it for an year before giving it away. A lot of games played smooth at the time. My heart still wants a gaming laptop again but since I never owned a MacBook before and I like Apple devices recently I prefer to choose the Mac.

Would you know of any gaming laptop that can also produce great battery life, is light-weight and has excellent screen and performance? Which can be comparable to a MacBook but can also play games just like a gaming laptop without much throttling issues. Something which is a hybrid between a gaming laptop and an ultrabook but does not cost above the MacBook. I liked a few options from above such as Dell G15 and Lenovo Legion with Ryzen 7 processors. MSI Sword sure the design looks good and MSI GF65 with RTX 3060 but an older gen CPU.
The Dell G15 I linked from Dell's website has a 86Wh battery, so has a great battery life because of huge battery + Ryzen 5000's efficiency. Just check its review by Jarrod Tech. The display will be bad (good enough for the price) & temps are high (Nitro 5 should be better IMO).

OP
powerstarprince

powerstarprince

In the zone
What do you think of this laptop? Always thought that Alienware laptops are too expensive but this one's cheap for a limited period of time Alienware m15 R5 Ryzen® Gaming Laptop | Dell USA

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
What do you think of this laptop? Always thought that Alienware laptops are too expensive but this one's cheap for a limited period of time Alienware m15 R5 Ryzen® Gaming Laptop | Dell USA
All alienware stuff is overpriced and not worth it, even compared to other dell products. Best option for your requirements would be to get the Dell G15 or go through Jarrod's Tech videos as suggested before.

*www.youtube.com/c/JarrodsTech/videos

I kind of regret buying Alienware & personally won't recommend buying any Dell's high-performance laptops because of poor thermals.

For $50 more, you get a much better laptop with 2x8GB RAM, double the SSD storage & mainly better thermals. It apparently has 165Hz 100% sRGB panel, so good:
*www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Display-Processor-GeForce-82JW0012US/dp/B08YKG5K7F/

Again check Jarrod Tech's review of Legion 5.

Check Lenovo's website as well, you can get coupons like this as well:
1637980939928.png

"I found some CRAZY Legion 5 deals! 6600M for $980 *lenovo.vzew.net/KeygXz & 3060 for $1140 *lenovo.vzew.net/7m1dOO just add coupon 'HOLIDAYSURPRISE' to either for the additional discount."

Credit to Jarrod Tech

OP
powerstarprince

powerstarprince

In the zone
@omega44-xt Oh cool that Legion 5 deal for $980 for the RX 6600M seems sweet. The kind of laptop that suits me. But it shows the first solid state drive as none. What does it mean? Also did I see somewhere that it takes 4+ months to ship?

@pkkumarcool Yeah the MacBook Air 16GB RAM model has been ordered.

@omega44-xt Oh cool that Legion 5 deal for $980 for the RX 6600M seems sweet. The kind of laptop that suits me. But it shows the first solid state drive as none. What does it mean? Also did I see somewhere that it takes 4+ months to ship?

@pkkumarcool Yeah the MacBook Air 16GB RAM model has been ordered.
Second SSD slot has 512GB drive, so its fine. Select 16GB RAM & 165Hz panel as well (as this one will be 100% sRGB vs 70% sRGB in 120Hz one).

I can see ships in 4+ months as well. Likely too many orders.

Top Bottom