mSATA SSD for my Lenovo Ideapad Y500

Guys, I'm planning to buy a 120GB mSATA SSD for my Lenovo Ideapad Y500 laptop, which has an additional mSATA slot free, from Amazon @ ~5.7k ($90.47), including shipping & taxes.

*www.amazon.com/Crucial-120GB-mSATA-Internal-CT120M500SSD3/dp/B00BQ8RFAI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1412821450&sr=1-1&keywords=Crucial+M500+120GB+mSATA+Internal+Solid+State+Drive+CT120M500SSD3

I plan on transferring my C drive to SSD.

Guys I need your opinion.
It'll fit in my laptop, right ? Just to reconfirm. I'm 90% sure about it
Is a better deal available ?
Or Should i go with Amazon ?

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Just to add here, if in rare case you need RMA then you have to send it abroad on your own cost as they don't have facility in India yet. You may search a little before actually ordering it. Also, make sure you don't have to pay any import duties..

mSATA for the Y500 are absolute bliss, I got the 250GB mSATA Samsung EVO and it flies.
This is the upgrade you will notice the most.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Whats your HDTune benchmark result as here *www.digit.in/forum/storage/187583-slow-ssd.html I am facing speed problem with EVO 250 SSD

OP
omega44-xt

omega44-xt

Gear up ...
Just to add here, if in rare case you need RMA then you have to send it abroad on your own cost as they don't have facility in India yet. You may search a little before actually ordering it. Also, make sure you don't have to pay any import duties..
Import duties are included in final price. Approx Rs 700

I couldn't find Kingston one for approx 6k

- - - Updated - - -

Guys how about this one? Seems a great deal at 4.7k
*www.onlyssd.com/product/adata-premier-pro-sp310-128gb-msata-drive/

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Most of the 128GB drives are in 5K range, so that whats so special about Adata .. I would choose Intel , samsung or crucial..

OP
omega44-xt

omega44-xt

Gear up ...
Most of the 128GB drives are in 5K range, so that whats so special about Adata .. I would choose Intel , samsung or crucial..

As you said earlier regd service centres, which Crucial doesn't have here, there's no other problem in it. Price is okay, my budget is 6k. Intel n Samsung are costly.
After confirming with OnlySSD about warranty of ADATA, i might go for it.
It's read n write speeds are approx 400MBps & 180 MBps respectively

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
As you said earlier regd service centres, which Crucial doesn't have here, there's no other problem in it. Price is okay, my budget is 6k. Intel n Samsung are costly.
After confirming with OnlySSD about warranty of ADATA, i might go for it.
It's read n write speeds are approx 400MBps & 180 MBps respectively

Don't go for Kinston/Adata for SSDs. They are not good players. You'll regret buying SSDs from them.
They are known to reach their cells' end of life very soon(say 6 months).

Go only for Intel, Samsung, Crucial And Plextor. Look at nothing else.
Go for earlier Amazon crucial one, you won't regret it.

*i.imgur.com/8Cgh0j1.png

SSD are absolutely worth it, I got the mSATA Samsung 840 evo from USA for 12k incl of shipping and amazon us price
The Samsung RAPID does make it look like madness but it really is very fast, power on button bootup to desktop takes 11s.
A full restart takes 24s. (Run command shutdown -t 00 -r or just restart using the menus).
Total paisa vasool upgrade IMO. Save/earn some money and go for a good SSD

vito scalleta

In the zone
*i.imgur.com/8Cgh0j1.png

SSD are absolutely worth it, I got the mSATA Samsung 840 evo from USA for 12k incl of shipping and amazon us price
The Samsung RAPID does make it look like madness but it really is very fast, power on button bootup to desktop takes 11s.
A full restart takes 24s. (Run command shutdown -t 00 -r or just restart using the menus).
Total paisa vasool upgrade IMO. Save/earn some money and go for a good SSD

turn off RAPID and do the tests.. you'll get the actual speed of ur SSDs.
either way i suuport ur point.. an SSD is a good upgrade with immediate noticeable performance increase.

turn off RAPID and do the tests.. you'll get the actual speed of ur SSDs.
either way i suuport ur point.. an SSD is a good upgrade with immediate noticeable performance increase.

Actual speeds on the Y500 and a TRIM'd 840 evo msata are like 480mBps give or take 20mBps.

The 120GB msata 840 evo shipped to india with import duty incl. is for 115usd, that is like 7k.
Get it, the stretch will be worth it. Warranty might be a problem.

Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I'm not expecting to get warranty...... Will try to persuade my dad, first i need to find that ssd

Wait.....I thought you had a job.

Go for Crucial M500 you first mentioned lol. You won't need warranty for SSDs for at least 7 years lol. Just don't buy second hand. Go for the CHEAPEST one among Crucial, Plextor, Intel and Samsung. All SSDs are fast and you won't notice the difference between them in real world usage.

OP
omega44-xt

omega44-xt

Gear up ...
Wait.....I thought you had a job.

Go for Crucial M500 you first mentioned lol. You won't need warranty for SSDs for at least 7 years lol. Just don't buy second hand. Go for the CHEAPEST one among Crucial, Plextor, Intel and Samsung. All SSDs are fast and you won't notice the difference between them in real world usage.

I know that all SSDs are fast...... Crucial is cheapest of them (except for the ADATA one).
So, i will buy the crucial one from Amazon... Will place order tomorrow or day after that

Btw why did you think i had a job?

OP
omega44-xt

omega44-xt

Gear up ...
Placed order at Amazon today....... Surprisingly price was $65 today, so total price came to $80 (~5.5k)

- - - Updated - - -

SBI rejected payment to Amazon......... :-x

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Placed order at Amazon today....... Surprisingly price was $65 today, so total price came to $80 (~5.5k)

- - - Updated - - -

SBI rejected payment to Amazon......... :-x

:lol: :rofl: you tried to use SBI card for International shopping. Only Credit Cards will work for International transactions, preferably not SBI.

OP
omega44-xt

omega44-xt

Gear up ...
:lol: :rofl: you tried to use SBI card for International shopping. Only Credit Cards will work for International transactions, preferably not SBI.

Going to try with Axis debit card...... That should work

I knew SBI had high chance of failure......still gave it a shot !!

Top Bottom