MS Releases XP SP2 to Computer Manufacturers

Status
Not open for further replies.

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Microsoft Corp. today announced the release to manufacturing of Windows® XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies. This free service pack delivers the latest security updates and innovations from Microsoft, establishes strong default security settings, and adds new proactive protection features that will help better safeguard computers from hackers, viruses and other security risks.

*www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2004/aug04/08-06WinXPSP2LaunchPR.asp

G

gxsaurav

This just in

Windows XP SP2 will allow Pirated Keys, it will install on Pirated Windows 2 although, U won't be able to use Windows Update v5

wORm

Journeyman
Has anyone installed RTM ? Is anyone trying to?
I personally am waiting for the release meant for home users.

aadipa

Padawan
Many users have questioned why illegal PIDs are being allowed on a Windows XP SP2 installation when they were blocked in previous betas. This is due to Microsoft's new approach on security in Service Pack 2 to prevent any further Windows XP machines from getting infected with viruses and malicious attacks. Microsoft's Gary Schare answers:

There have been a number of discussions on this newsgroup regarding whether SP2 will install on non-genuine (aka "pirated") versions of Windows. Here is the official Microsoft position on this topic:

We expect that nearly all Windows XP users, running genuine or pirated Windows, will have access to the security technologies in SP2. The same users that were blocked from installing SP1 - those that have used a small set of legacy pirated product keys - will be blocked from installing SP2. We believe that there are very few systems in use today that use these keys -- in other words, the pirates have moved on to other keys which we are not blocking.

So how do we charaterize our policy?

We want to make sure that the broadest number of people can install SP2. The nature of malicious attacks on computer users is constantly changing and we will continue to evaluate how we deal with security updates for pirated versions of Windows to best protect our genuine Windows customers.

Thanks,

Gary Schare
Microsoft

Source : *www.msfn.org/comments.php?shownews=9214

But when I tried install XP with an Pirated key.. It woked fine but when I use windows Update v5 it give me an error "Invalid Key".

Humm so i think SP2 may still b for everyone but later updates may not b!

G

gxsaurav

SP2 officially released by Microsoft, go here
for more info,

G

gxsaurav

RTM - Release To Manufacturer
RTW - Release To Web for general public,

RTM is only for OEMs so that they can start providing it as soon as possible on each of their PCs

Confirmed : MS has allowed everyone to distribute SP2, so U can make a CD of SP2 & Distribute as much as U want, but free

mahidhar

Broken In
navneeth_snr said:
when will they re-distribute free cds!

Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD

Thank you for your interest in the Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD. You will be able to order this CD when Windows XP Service Pack 2 becomes available later this summer. Please check back.

The best way to ensure you get SP2 when it is released is by turning on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP. Visit the Protect Your PC site to let us turn it on for you or follow these manual steps—either way you'll get SP2 automatically as Microsoft releases it.

Turning on Automatic Updates today allows your PC to begin downloading important updates automatically, including the latest version of Windows Update. It also ensures you will receive future updates, such as SP2.

techno_funky

da' Ťurntable ruleth
hey is someone fonna try ordering the cd
well i would have but me a bit scared
ahem. for my win aint u know what
so is anybody gonna order thre cd

G

gxsaurav

Just found this, nlite will slim your Windows XP & will make a slipstreamed CD, but what if U want to just remove the components without reinstallaing windows, or after Installaing Windows with nlite slipstreamed CD U find U can remove somethigs else, now will U go & make another CD just with 1 component, no, U can use XPLite by which U can remove or reinstall & Windows Component without making A CD, in your existing Windows,

wORm

Journeyman
blade_runner said:
wORm said:
Has anyone installed RTM ? Is anyone trying to?
I personally am waiting for the release meant for home users.

Downloaded sp2 final, will be installing it soon !

blade_runner, I'm currently running RTM, no problems whatsoever. Neowin.net says that the RTM release is exactly the same as the RTW release (to be released by the 25th of August.)
Maybe you should verify as to what you have downloaded. I downloaded SP2 fro microsoft's server, linked to from the "SP2 for IT Professionals page" its RTM and not RTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom