Ms Excel - Formula

Status
Not open for further replies.

vava

Right off the assembly line
To prepare an employee payroll, I am putting the date of birth of a person/employee in one cell. I want MS Excel to give me the dte of retirement of the employee in the next cell. (The date of retirement is the last date of the month in which he attains 55 years of age. What formula should I use?

tuxfan

Technomancer
I could have given you the exact solution, but I don't have excel in my machine. It has no pirated softwares :D I use OpenOffice.org. Secondly I am too lazy to work for you :)). Self help is the best help ;)

Anyway, why don't you have a look at all the date functions? If you are not too comfortable using a long function/formula, you can break it down in different columns and hide the intermediary columns!

Last edited:
vava said:
To prepare an employee payroll, I am putting the date of birth of a person/employee in one cell. I want MS Excel to give me the dte of retirement of the employee in the next cell. (The date of retirement is the last date of the month in which he attains 55 years of age. What formula should I use?

Your problem is simply solved using the "=DATE" function in excel.

Let me assume you have input your employee X's birth date in cell A1. I'll assume you have used the format YEAR,MONTH,DATE.

To get the retirement date in any cell, try this formula -

=DATE(YEAR(A1)+55,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1))

I'm amazed at all the cool stuff that can be done with excel. Everyday I keep discovering new excel formulae and tricks from our lovely secretaries who also happen to be excel experts.

Cheers,
Keith

Edit: BTW, formatting of the date does not matter. You can set any format of date for both the cells and they don't even have to be similar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom