Motherboard, processor and ram

rahulbasu

Broken In
Hi,

I have a 6 years old Intel DH67CL mobo with a i5-2500k processor and 2x4GB G-Skill NT DDR3 1333 Mhz. In general, I'm happy with it.

I've just had a series of transient problems. First the monitor wouldn't turn on. Then the replacement wouldn't go into BIOS or Windows, just stuck at the first screen. Then I managed to get into windows using HDMI instead of DVI. A few minutes later, cannot get to the monitor using HDMI or DVI. Seems time to replace the mobo.

I'm happy with the rest of the spec. Have a good PSU (Corsair CMPSU-600GUK), SSD, HDD, DVD-R, Keyboard, Mouse, Webcam, Cabinet, etc. Onwards:

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run?
Ans: No games. Some Handbrake / video editing, google earth / GIS would seem to be the maximum load. Chrome also takes up tons of CPU as I have zillions of tabs.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 30k?

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: NA - have enough

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Have an Acer S221HQL 21.5" LED monitor. Takes VGA, HDMI, DVI

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: As much as possible. Avoid waste.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Now

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Online

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Would like lots of USB ports. I'd like something solid that will last.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget -34K

AMD Ryzen 5 1500X -14500,
Asus Prime B350 Plus -8000,
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 3000Mhz -6500,
Zotac GTX1030 2GB DDR5 -5000.
TOTAL -34,000.

AMD Ryzen does not have an iGPU. So need discrete GPU.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
you are better off replacing PSU as well, CMPSU-600G wasn't a very high quality PSU , mostly Samxon GF capacitors from what i can see in some pics
it is good for 5-6 years use with no/basic GPU .. and you have already used it for that long ..

what is you CP-xxxxx number on psu ?

you can try getting your mobo repaired if it's a minor problem for very cheap and you want to save money .. and just buy a new PSU

Else build a Ryzen 2200G/2400G rig if you absolutely want a new rig .. Close those tabs that take high CPU usage with heavy/bad javascript , you can have a gazzilion tabs open with low CPU usage , it will only eat RAM ..

Last edited:
OP
R

rahulbasu

Broken In
you are better off replacing PSU as well, CMPSU-600G wasn't a very high quality PSU , mostly Samxon GF capacitors from what i can see in some pics
it is good for 5-6 years use with no/basic GPU .. and you have already used it for that long ..

what is you CP-xxxxx number on psu ?

you can try getting your mobo repaired if it's a minor problem for very cheap and you want to save money .. and just buy a new PSU

Else build a Ryzen 2200G/2400G rig if you absolutely want a new rig .. Close those tabs that take high CPU usage with heavy/bad javascript , you can have a gazzilion tabs open with low CPU usage , it will only eat RAM ..

Thanks GTA5. I didn't find a CP-xxxx number on the PSU. S/N is 11457106009002713779.

I didn't realize you could repair mobo. Right now, the display goes off on HDMI and DVI, but it boots into windows otherwise. I'm going to try a system restore, and failing that, using a graphics card. I'll update.

OP
R

rahulbasu

Broken In
It turned out to be an unstable issue. Finally I substituted monitors (DVI not working properly), and reset windows. So far so good. Thanks all.

Top Bottom