Motherboard for Ryzen 2600x/2600

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skillz

Broken In
Hello ..

after a decade long wait.. i am ready to assemble my second PC. Till now i am using C2D with 8gb and 460gtx .. i think its about time i give myself a nice little gift. But before that keep in mind i want cannibalize few hardware from my old pc which are running perfectly fine to keep the cost down obviously.. they are -

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')

Ans: Editing, Photoshop, Premier, Sound editing, Lightroom and casual gaming , online gaming - at mid to high settings

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Around 40,000 only cpu

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Nope

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: win 10

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Already have 2tb .

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No , I already have a 22" fhd monitor

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Seasonic S12 520W which is less than 2 years old,
Monitor
460 Gtx oc' edition, not much i know i will change next year.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: This month only

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes i assembled 2 pc years back

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Delhi, open to Online retailers too.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Planning to use it for the next 5 years , so it should be future proof without breaking sweat.
==========================

So after visiting zillion forums.. reddit.. i decided with my planned build

Ryzen 2600x
MSI B450 Tomahawk/Carbon Pro
Ram - 8gb single stick (for now )
Cabinet - Phanteks P300/S340 Elite NZXT
=======

But i still have few doubts and want to be absolutely sure before investing on it ..

Q.1) Will it be worth going for 2600 rather than 2600x, with 300mhz extra boost speed is it worth the money ? which cost around 3K more here. and yes i will not going be OC or stream.

Q.2) Can i overclock ram without touching or tinkering with CPU ?

Q.3) XMP support have to be present on both motherboards and ram or all kinds of ram supports xmp above 2400mhz ?

Q.3) What is best ram speed for ryzen.. ?

Q.4) Will it better to switch to X470 motherboard for Ryzen 2600x ? if yes suggest me some good boards under 13k .

Please advice my lords !!

Last edited:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
If you are not overclocking, I will choose 2600 and save some bucks there. afterall, 2600 can be overclocked too.
you can overclock the RAM if the BIOS has any provision to do it.
If the RAM supports XMP, it will be explicitly written on the product page. The BIOS has to support as well.
The higher the RAM speed, the better it is with ryzen. If you are planning on adding a RAM stick later, get a 3000MHz one. I think there isn't huge price difference either.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ryzen 5 2600X vs. 2600: Which should you buy?

Seems like for non OC system a 2600x is better choice.

ram overclocking option is separate from cpu overclocking.

usually rams have xmp support & mobos too(mentioned in their specs as supported ram speeds).

for ryzen anything 2400 or above should be fine though try to get 3000 as difference in price is not much

X470 mobos are meant for OC systems unless you specifically wants the extra features in them.

OP
S

Skillz

Broken In
If you are not overclocking, I will choose 2600 and save some bucks there. afterall, 2600 can be overclocked too.
you can overclock the RAM if the BIOS has any provision to do it.
If the RAM supports XMP, it will be explicitly written on the product page. The BIOS has to support as well.
The higher the RAM speed, the better it is with ryzen. If you are planning on adding a RAM stick later, get a 3000MHz one. I think there isn't huge price difference either.
Thank you for replying..
On topic.. For the time being I have no plan to oc my cpu may be in future.. but I will try to oc ram in xmp mode. About cooler I will change the stock cooler anyway by next year, delhi summer can be quite harsh.. So aftermarket cooler is on the list.
So how fast a oc 2600x compared to oc 2600?
What's your view on Msi b450 Tomahawk and Carbon pro ac.?

OP
S

Skillz

Broken In
Ryzen 5 2600X vs. 2600: Which should you buy?

Seems like for non OC system a 2600x is better choice.

ram overclocking option is separate from cpu overclocking.

usually rams have xmp support & mobos too(mentioned in their specs as supported ram speeds).

for ryzen anything 2400 or above should be fine though try to get 3000 as difference in price is not much

X470 mobos are meant for OC systems unless you specifically wants the extra features in them.
But for 3k extra and 8% speed boost is it worth? In real world I'm sure I won't notice any difference between x and non X model.
I have any eyes set on two b450 boards - msi Tomahawk and carbon pro ac, and they both support xmp. What's your views on them.?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saw some reddit threads & seems like it is better to get a 2600 & add a good aftermarket cooler.

Carbon pro ac is costlier but its price is justified only when OC as it has good VRM cooling which will not be used to its full potential when not OCing.

OP
S

Skillz

Broken In
Saw some reddit threads & seems like it is better to get a 2600 & add a good aftermarket cooler.

Carbon pro ac is costlier but its price is justified only when OC as it has good VRM cooling which will not be used to its full potential when not OCing.
Yea will get aftermarket cooler later for sure..
Although I haven't decided yet but i like carbon because it has wifi, bluetooth, better vrm and better sound which is one of my needs. And as you said it will also give me option to oc in future.. But I am worried for msi bios which i heard isn't that good.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
[Hardware Unboxed] Top 5 Best B450 Motherboards for AMD's 2nd Gen Ryzen CPUs : Amd

Looks like msi b450 mobos are better options.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Thank you for replying..
On topic.. For the time being I have no plan to oc my cpu may be in future.. but I will try to oc ram in xmp mode. About cooler I will change the stock cooler anyway by next year, delhi summer can be quite harsh.. So aftermarket cooler is on the list.
So how fast a oc 2600x compared to oc 2600?
What's your view on Msi b450 Tomahawk and Carbon pro ac.?

2600x is better binned than 2600 hence higher overclock potential, but may be mostly useful for OC enthusiasts who wants to explore GHz marks! if you overclock a 2600 to match the frequency of a 2600x, they will have the same performance(if any difference, will be negligible). also the bundled coolers for these processors are even good enough for mild overclocking unlike intel whose stock coolers are basically joke for higher end CPUs.
both are good motherboards. if you have the budget, go for the carbon pro.

OP
S

Skillz

Broken In
2600x is better binned than 2600 hence higher overclock potential, but may be mostly useful for OC enthusiasts who wants to explore GHz marks! if you overclock a 2600 to match the frequency of a 2600x, they will have the same performance(if any difference, will be negligible). also the bundled coolers for these processors are even good enough for mild overclocking unlike intel whose stock coolers are basically joke for higher end CPUs.
both are good motherboards. if you have the budget, go for the carbon pro.
Binned meaning? Sorry.. I'm little noob..

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Binned meaning? Sorry.. I'm little noob..

it means 2600x is likely to have better overclock potential(getting higher frequencies at ,say, slightly less voltage than 2600) with low power and better heat dissipation.Again this will depend up on the die used. might not be the same for all chips.

OP
S

Skillz

Broken In
it means 2600x is likely to have better overclock potential(getting higher frequencies at ,say, slightly less voltage than 2600) with low power and better heat dissipation.Again this will depend up on the die used. might not be the same for all chips.
you mean chip lottery.. ! anyway going out to nehru place to check prices.. will report here later today evening.

Minion

Conversation Architect
AMD RYZEN 5 2600 6-CORE 3.4 GHZ (3.9 GHZ MAX BOOST) SOCKET AM4 PROCESSOR-15,600
MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC-13,000
ADATA 8GB DDR4 RGB AX4U300038G16-SRS-7,300
NZXT H500 Matte Black-5,600

OP
S

Skillz

Broken In
Just reached home from Nehru Place and here is the prices i found to be lowest -
Ryzen 2600x - 17500
Ryzen 2600 - 14800
MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC - 12600
Ram - 8Gb 3000mhz- Trident Z - 7200
2666mhz - Ripjaws - 5890
Cabinets - are too costly, will order it online

So what do you guys think ?

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which shop you are getting these quotes from?Prices are good though. There were never good quality cabinet options in nehru place,only few too basic or too expensive ones while rest are just generic Indian brands.

OP
S

Skillz

Broken In
Which shop you are getting these quotes from?Prices are good though. There were never good quality cabinet options in nehru place,only few too basic or too expensive ones while rest are just generic Indian brands.
Motherboard and processor are from cost 2 cost and ram prices are all same with Rs 100-200 difference.. Well I found cabs from antec coolermaster corsair and rest were garbage..

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Motherboard and processor are from cost 2 cost and ram prices are all same with Rs 100-200 difference.. Well I found cabs from antec coolermaster corsair and rest were garbage..
I just checked the costtocost price list( *www.costtocost.in/list/pricelist.pdf ) & 2600 is listed at 12599 which after 18% gst will cost 14867.

OP
S

Skillz

Broken In
I just checked the costtocost price list( *www.costtocost.in/list/pricelist.pdf ) & 2600 is listed at 12599 which after 18% gst will cost 14867.
I may be wrong.. There was so much chaos.. But he was also looking at the same price list. So Yea you are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom