Motherboard and RAM Confusion !!!

vizkid2005

In the zone
Hello Guyz !!!

Please help me by suggesting appropriate motherboard and RAM for my new rig !!!!

i7 950
Corsair HX850
GTX 460(1 gb) * 2
500 GB HDD
CoolerMaster 430 Elite

Please suggest a motherboard that is suited and available(Mumbai) for my needs :

3 way SLI not needed ...
SATA III and Usb 3.0 not needed ( Will get an add-on card later .. But will the SATA III on the card will be as good as SATA III on mobo) ????

Will I need to overclock in next 3-4 years to play future games even with 2*GTX 460(1 gb) ???
If yes .. please suggest mobo with overclocking ability ..
Brand preffered : ASUS

Considering RAM suggestions ...
What is latency, ppl keep talking about ??? How does it affect my PC`s performance ???

Considering 2*GTX 460(1 gb) ... Will I need more than Corsair (3*1 gb ) Kit tp play future 3-4 yr games ?????
If yes please suggest RAM also ....

What difference does 1600 MHz and 1033 MHz RAM make ???
Does 1600 Mhz RAM have compatibility issues with motherboard ????
Like will it run only on specific motherboards ???

Please enlighten me with your valuable suggestions ....
Thank You !!!

RaptorX

Broken In
As far as I know 1333 & 1600 ddr3 ram are the most commonly available. Supposedly, the difference in performance between the two is quite small.

On the motherboard's website it will mention something like:Support for DDR3 1800 (OC)/1666/1333/1066 MHz memory modules. It's different for different motherboards.

Most experienced users would probably suggest going with another brand of motherboard instead of ASUS (Apparenly the service is quite bad from what I've heard)

OP
V

vizkid2005

In the zone
As far as I know 1333 & 1600 ddr3 ram are the most commonly available. Supposedly, the difference in performance between the two is quite small.

On the motherboard's website it will mention something like:Support for DDR3 1800 (OC)/1666/1333/1066 MHz memory modules. It's different for different motherboards.

Most experienced users would probably suggest going with another brand of motherboard instead of ASUS (Apparenly the service is quite bad from what I've heard)

@ RaptorX :But I havnt heard of MSI or Gigabyte earlier ...
All I`ve heard bout is Asus and Intel ...
Why I prefer Asus is that I`ve heard it has nice mobo`s and aftersales service ....
What bout MSI and Gigabyte Aftersales ???
Do they have service centres in Mumbai ????
Neways Plz suggest an ASUS mobo ....

What 1800(O.C) means ???
Like You can put 1800 Mhz modules only if u`ve oc`ed or wat ????

@ rajan : around 20 k for mobo and ram ....
bt if 3* 2gb is needed , I`m ready to increase my budget ...

The main issue is that Is 3 * 1gb sufficient for future games (3-4 yrs)???
Also suggest a decent mobo ...

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

as of now (if u are short on money, or wanna spend good on a gpu) then a 1GB x 3sticks of DDR-III RAM running at 1333 Mhz is more than enough, get a corsair triple channel DDR-3 RAM pack for Rs. 8K :)

and increase the components as and wen u require them...later in future... coz even if u add, say a 1800Mhz RAM into ur system, then the gaming industry is such that they will make games at such fast pace that our systems look and feel like poor lads in front of their so called "RECOMMENDED SPECS", so at the moment jus relax, and DO NOT worry abt 3-4 yrs ahead... :)

buy stuff wat ur budget and pocket allows..:) as there's always room for adding stuff if u get a good mobo now... :)
------------

also, for the mobo part, Gigabyte and MSi are also trusted brands.. :) so u can buy them w'out any worries and hv good after sales service too... :)
------------

(if its intel core ix) then please, post all ur queries in the link given in my siggy.. as it will help keeping things oganised.. :)

plz its a sincere request... (u can request mods to lock this thread and cointinue discussions here-----> Core i3,i5,i7: The Official Core ix (i3,i5,i7) Thread for Desktops & Laptops - Digit Technology Discussion Forum - Tech Discussion Forums in India ) :)
----------

Cheers n e-peace.....

OP
V

vizkid2005

In the zone
Thanks ashu !!!!
Thank U alll !!!

But I`ll be posting more Questions in the near future !!! :razz:
Its really helpful to get advice from so knowledgable people like u all !!!

What is latency in RAM ??? What shuld be the deciding factor ??
Like is Higher better or Lower better ???
What does the combination of numbers mean ???

Kind attn : every1 who helped me so much ...

Hers the rig I`m planning to buy ...

Intel i7 950

Motherboard = p6t deluxe

Ram = corsair 6 Gb kit

GPU = Zotac GTX 460

PSU = corsair HX850 ( Since I`m planning to SLI )

HDD = Seagate 500 GB (Other suggestions welcome )

Cabinet = Cooler Master Elite 430

DVD Drive is obvious ...

Will using a non-stock cpu cooler void my warranty ??? Example corsair H50

Last edited:

rajan1311

Padawan
latency -> lower the better, but it comes at a cost. It does not make a lot of difference performance wise, so just keep that in mind.

the 'combination' is basically different timings for various things, if you need detailed explanation of that, you can read up on wiki or ask some overclocker next door ;)

Using an aftermarket cooler will not void the warrenty, lapping the processor surely will.

You could get a cheaper board, are you really looking to overclock? cos even a basic MSI X58 pro e board has good features.

OP
V

vizkid2005

In the zone
Guys is it only at lamington road or everywhere in India ...

p6t = Rs 14900/-
p6t deluxe = Rs 18900/-

Thats pretty steep ...

Amazon prices are pretty lower
p6t = $220 = Rs 10208/- approx
p6t deluxe = $275 = Rs 12760/- approx

Considering shipping and stuff too .. Why is it so expensive in India ...
Please suggest cheaper and better shops on lamington road ....

I am seriously reconsidering MSI and Gigabyte ...

Any one in mumbai .. Please suggest good and trusted shops at lamington road that provide cheaper rates ....

Last edited:

pegasus

Journeyman
Guys is it only at lamington road or everywhere in India ...

p6t = Rs 14900/-
p6t deluxe = Rs 18900/-

Thats pretty steep ...

Amazon prices are pretty lower
p6t = $220 = Rs 10208/- approx
p6t deluxe = $275 = Rs 12760/- approx

Considering shipping and stuff too .. Why is it so expensive in India ...
Please suggest cheaper and better shops on lamington road ....

I am seriously reconsidering MSI and Gigabyte ...

Any one in mumbai .. Please suggest good and trusted shops at lamington road that provide cheaper rates ....
Where in lamington road did you get those prices from?
There is no one who gives "cheaper" rates per se but competitive rates maybe yes.
Check with PrimeABGB, Lamington road- i have heard they also have a separate office to take care of the service part if need be.
Computers Hardware, Peripherals, Cameras, Laptops, Gaming Equipment Tech Heaven, Thin client Lamington Road, Mumbai

Also a friend went looking for the P6T SE and it may be available here soon and mostly for lesser than the P6T.

BTW, US prices have been much lower than ours, especially computer hardware, irrespective of brand- it has always been like that i think.
asus has always charged a premium price compared to prices in the US, also many have a bad time with their RMA.
And if you find any latest rma issue wrt to ASUS, please do start a thread for the same with all links or post in the other forum where there is already one thread related to the same. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom