Monitoring router bandwidth

rakesh-the gilli

Journeyman
I stay in a hostel. Here we share a single airtel 4mbps connection [40 GB FUP else 512 kbps] with around 10-12 persons through wifi mostly. This airtel plan came with its own free modem [beetel 450tc2] or T-Link TD-W8951ND as they are known elsewhere. The bill cycle starts from 5th of every month. 'The problem is i don't think the FUP limit of 40GB is fully used before reverting to a slower speed [512 kbps]. Is there any way where i can monitor the bandwidth used at router level. It wouldn't be nice to ask everyone to install bandwidth meters like DUMeter or any other software and collect cumulative details so as to find how much GBs we had used for a month. Is there any software [or online sites] that can aggregate network usage at router level instead of individual systems.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Install networx on any of the laptops and refer this guide
*www.softperfect.com/products/networx/manual/router_monitoring.htm

OP
R

rakesh-the gilli

Journeyman
Install networx on any of the laptops and refer this guide
*www.softperfect.com/products/networx/manual/router_monitoring.htm

Thanks for the link. But, we use laptops and connect to wifi. As most of them are students [including me], we carry our laptops to colleges and come back. Hence, we don't have a standalone always on laptop or PC that can constantly poll the router and collect usage data as said here.
"If your router supports so-called SNMP or UPnP protocol, you can monitor all traffic via your router. This however will not give you a per-device usage breakdown and the monitoring computer must be continuously on to poll the router and collect usage data. See the Router Monitoring page for more details."

May i know what are the other options.?

bhadkow

Broken In
Buy a cheap dd-wrt or tomato (custom firmwares) compatible router, link it to your modem, and then link your laptops to this new router. The custom firmare comes with various options to monitor your data. Note, your 1st device should only be used as modem ie., do not connect any devices to it except the new router.

OP
R

rakesh-the gilli

Journeyman
Buy a cheap dd-wrt or tomato (custom firmwares) compatible router, link it to your modem, and then link your laptops to this new router. The custom firmare comes with various options to monitor your data. Note, your 1st device should only be used as modem ie., do not connect any devices to it except the new router.

As i stay in a hostel, i must ask permission to my hostel in-charge first, for this plan to work. Also, he must accept my request. Anyways i will try it. Thanks for the idea though.