Monitor Considerations/Discussion

Xai

Journeyman
Hi All,

I had been thinking of upgrading my display from 1080-60Hz to something better. However, it seems like this a bad time to upgrade. With the high GPU prices and 4K technology not yet being standardized. So this thread is basically to have a discussion on the current trends and make an educated estimate of budget.

I run a PC as well as a vanilla PS4. Looking to the future, it would be good to have a single display for PC and PS5 (when it comes out). Nothing is known of PS5 specs yet. But maybe we can guess a few points for PS5 and PC gaming display future:

1. For console gaming it seems native support for 1440p might be skipped. So PS5 might be having 1080p-60 and 4K-30 outputs. It would be great to have 1440p support, but I am not optimistic. However, if I am not mistaken XBONE-X supports 1440p, so maybe Sony will follow suit.

2. HDMI 2.1. It has the capability to output 4K-120. How much will it impact PS5 development? Do we expect next gen PC GPUs and Monitors to be released with HDMI 2.1? When? At what cost? Will HDMI 2.1's built in VRR make FreeSync and G-Sync obsolete? How will that impact monitor pricing?

3. HDR support on monitors still is not at par with UHD-HDR TVs. Windows 10 seems to have issues with HDR. Maybe a future patch will fix it? Very few monitors have 1000 nit peak brightness.

4. GPU-power to run 4K-144. Not sure if a single 1080Ti (or next gen version of it) will be able to handle it. SLI will double the cost. Add to that cost of maybe upgrading PSU.

Overall, the more I research, the more confusing it gets to decide what to buy. Seems like anything I buy, will get obsolete within a year. My initial plan was to wait and watch for 1 or 2 years, and upgrade maybe in 2020. But I doubt if I have the patience.

One of my friends is also considering upgrading to 1080p gaming (yeah, now!) and has offered to buy my R9 290 and Dell ST2220L from me. Which makes me consider an upgrade in 2018 itself.

Budget considerations:

In all cases, at least one 1080Ti is required - guess with 2-3 fans. So looking at 65-75K on GPU.

1. 1440p-144: Maybe I will splurge on this one. Something high end like Asus PG279Q. That makes total of around 1.5L

2. 4K-60: This may actually be cheaper. Pairing a LG 27UD68-P with 1080Ti will cost me around 1L. I would prefer LG 32UD99, but it seems it is not released in India. Also, will these monitor have screen tearing issues with Nvidia?

3. 4K-144 (DP): Frankly I am not sure how feasible this would be. With current pricing trend, I expect something like Asus PG27UQ to cost around 1.5L. If it needs dual 1080Tis to run, then total cost would be near 3L. Way off-budget.

4. 4K-144(HDMI 2.1): If a VRR is designed around built in standards, then maybe the monitor cost would be lower compared to G-Sync modules. So maybe something equivalent to FreeSync models. Maybe too early to speculate.

So, thoughts? Where do you guys think 1440p/4K gaming is headed? What will be the future standards?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
4K monitor with HDR support is what you should be aiming for, but its unlikely you will get a monitor with HDR in india.
If you want, you can go for TVs though.
No one can predict what PS5 will have, so get according to what technology is available today.

Reactions: Xai

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
30 and 60fps will still be the industry standard for gaming framerate targets for a very long time. So I would prefer 4K and HDR over higher refresh rates. HDR capable monitors should be coming this year. Just wait a bit i guess.

OP
Xai

Xai

Journeyman
Question mainly to those who have experienced a non G-Sync 4K monitor with 1080 Ti - something like LG 27UD68P. How is the experience? Any noticeable screen-tearing or stuttering without G-Sync?

Benchmarks suggest that even 1080Ti cannot provide a smooth 60 fps on Very High/Ultra on some recent games. This noticeable?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I use the above monitor with a 1080, yes some games cannot handle 2160p @ Ultra, like Witcher 3, but the overall gameplay is smooth enough, you can reduce some settings to get a 60 fps lock, with Vsync enabled and its more than fine.
1080 Ti should be able to do 2160p @ Ultra just fine but I think its a very bad time to buy a 1080 Ti.
Honestly, the difference in price at which Gsync 4k IPS monitors are available vs the price 27UD68P is availalble does not justify the extra addition (Gsync). If it were around 5k more, I'd consider getting it but more than that, its absolutely not worth.

OP
Xai

Xai

Journeyman
I might get a 2nd hand Aorus 1080Ti @50K. Original purchase was 6 months ago - so should be within warranty. Buying through a mutual acquaintance, so may be reliable. Good deal?

How is Aorus? Any issues with the card or after-sales service?

PS: My CPU and PSU combination (signature) ought to be enough to run 1080Ti without bottlenecks, right? The display, of course, I plan to upgrade.

Last edited:
OP
Xai

Xai

Journeyman
Changed my mind, and got a 1440p 165hz Acer Predator XB271HU for PC. Now waiting for 1180 to come out.

Will wait a couple of years to get a 4k HDR tv for the PS5.

*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180613/7aac066034411b77b0973e81a7f6f9ab.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

shreeux

Movie Buff
Changed my mind, and got a 1440p 165hz Acer Predator XB271HU for PC. Now waiting for 1180 to come out.

Will wait a couple of years to get a 4k HDR tv for the PS5.

*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180613/7aac066034411b77b0973e81a7f6f9ab.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Ok

Posr your experience after getting GPU

Top Bottom