TheSloth

The Slowest One
1. Budget?
Around 50k

2. Display type and size?
VA or IPS
Around 30 inch or above
1440p at least

3. What will the TV/monitor be used for primarily?
As monitor only

4. Types and number of ports required?
HDMI 2.1 so that I can get 120Hz through HDMI cable.

5. Preferred choice of brand?
Any brand with good After Sales Service(ASS). I guess Acer seems like a brand who deny warranty claims for silly reasons, so I would like to avoid this kind of brand.

6. Any TV/monitor in consideration?
Samsung G7(2022) 28" 4k 144Hz
Samsung G7(Old) 32" 1440p 240Hz
Dell S3422DWG 34" 3440x1440p 144Hz
Gigabyte M28U 28" 4k 144Hz
Gigabyte M32U 32" 4k 144Hz

7. Any other info that you want to share.
The main reason to upgrade to bigger monitor is to have more browser windows opened side by side while coding.
I will be pairing it with Nvidia 3060Ti GPU and will be using it to browse, code and game
Earlier I only wanted ultrawide because it would be easy to open multiple windows side-by-side on this. But while gaming it seems like there will be more horizontal movement on the edges of the screen on ultrawide, say for a game like CSGO or Rocket League. Unless someone can provide any info if this is not an issue I think will be going with normal 16:9 format instead of 21:9.

I don't need 240Hz since I only play casually. 144FPS is enough for esports titles and 60FPS or better for bigger/single player games like Sekiro.

Gigabyte G34WQC Ultrawide was another monitor I was considering but it seems to be worth spending a little more on the Dell S3422DWG for slightly better performance(compared on rtings) and brand ASS.
It seems poor VA suffers from flicker on the websites in dark modes. This was overcome in old G7 because of really low input lag. I was blown away by the reviews honestly.

The new Samsung G7 28" is on sale right now on Amazon at 40k and additional card discount so I making this post here. Only issue is it's 4k and VA. I am hesitating to pull the trigger because
  • 3060Ti may not good at 4k for longer time. I want the setup to survive AT LEAST 5 years without changing any hardware!
  • I see more and more issues related to this new G series Samsung monitors on reddit, e.g. scanlines and flickers.
  • VA panel is another reason I am hesitating because of flickers on static content(menus) in games and dark mode browsing, black smearing!
I am not in any kind of hurry here. I can wait even till next year since everything in my budget comes with some kind of compromise. If next year we have some budget releases, may be 34" IPS panels then I think I would like to at least experience those before spending this big amount. At last, I would reiterate that brands with good ASS is only preferred so may be Samsung and Dell are the only option.

Edit:
Another monitors from Gigabyte, M28U and M32U seems as good as new Samsung G7. Here is the comparison on rtings.

Last edited:
2022 Samsung G7 was under 40k a few days back, was a great deal, easy. It is IPS, not VA, see that rtings review, should have grabbed it IMO. My friend has old 1440p 240Hz VA model, works great, curve might take some time to get used to it. Old G7 with VA looks great for multimedia because of the VA panel. I have TUF VG27AQL1A & I can notice that movies/games look better in old G7 compared to my monitor.

No idea about ultrawides personally. M32U seems good on paper as you need a big display. Else G7 32" curved can also be considered.

3060Ti is not a 4K gaming card, but you can always use DLSS or FSR at quality mode, else just reduce game resolution to 1440p, as required.

Check reviews by Hardware Unboxed as well.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
The problem with the new G7 lineup is that so many complaints of scanlines on reddit. I almost pulled the trigger but decided to ask opinions here first.
M28U also comes with it own set of issues where 144Hz has some scanline issues with certain color palette.
May be I should try to find the old G7 1440p VA panel. That one was really good. Only thing was I don't plan to run it at 240Hz. May be I can run games locked at 120FPS which would eliminate screen tearing ?

The problem with the new G7 lineup is that so many complaints of scanlines on reddit. I almost pulled the trigger but decided to ask opinions here first.
M28U also comes with it own set of issues where 144Hz has some scanline issues with certain color palette.
May be I should try to find the old G7 1440p VA panel. That one was really good. Only thing was I don't plan to run it at 240Hz. May be I can run games locked at 120FPS which would eliminate screen tearing ?
Why lock it to 120Hz?

Use DP cable & enable g-sync, simple. It has a VRR range of 20-240Hz, if I'm not wrong.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Why lock it to 120Hz?

Use DP cable & enable g-sync, simple. It has a VRR range of 20-240Hz, if I'm not wrong.
I read somewhere long back that odd frames at 240Hz refresh rate sometimes creates screen tearing. 60/120/240 FPS are perfect for 240Hz because it matches screen refresh rate perfectly. VRR and Gsync below 60FPS comes with its own set of issues where we face flickers in in-game menus. This issue is mentioned on rtings as well and several user reported it on reddit.
If I decide to go G7 with old VA panel then I will go for 32". It has same PPI as 1080p so I should not face any blurriness. But I wont get much screen estate like 4K resolution.
Since 3060Ti can pull above 60FPS with medium-high quality and RTX completely off in games, 4K should be fine, right?

I try to play games at least at 70-80fps as fps drops will be above 60fps mostly. These days, games below 50fps does not look smooth to me. VRR has no issues on high fps, unless there's some overshoot or slow response times involved, which is not the case with old G7. It has a solid one mode for gaming at whole fps range.

As I said earlier, you can render games at 1440p or use DLSS/FSR with 4K monitors.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Does 3060Ti gives good fps at 4K resolution ? If yes, then G7 is excellent monitor for 4K gaming.
Yes I am considering this monitor since I can play common esports title at 120fps even on 4k. Other single player games I can run at 60fps. I am waiting for affordable IPS panel in ultrawide segment. If nothing good comes, I will go for the new 4k G7.

Top Bottom