MOBO+CPU+(RAM) - 20K upgrade

Alright, that was helpful, I also saw mostly positive things about tpstech and elitehub.
Will now get back to the original subject, so there is nothing decent for gaming unless I stretch budget for 25K only for mobo+cpu. :unsure:
Considering you have an excellent GPU, just get R5 5600 (15k) + MSI B550M Pro VDH WiFi (10k) + 16GB RAM (5k). It is nice to have extra RAM & M.2 slots + other ports.

OP
Ricky

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Ok, some were saying that should go for mid-level mobo, what about this one :
*elitehubs.com/msi-x570-a-pro-motherboard/?variant=15125

Also, the link I shared for Asus is now sold out, ASUS TUF Gaming A520M-Plus AMD AM4 Micro-ATX Motherboard with DDR4 4800MHz and USB 3.2 Gen 2
Probably like 5600 deal at about 12K, I missed this also

Last edited:

DestGod

Journeyman
Ok, some were saying that should go for mid-level mobo, what about this one :
*elitehubs.com/msi-x570-a-pro-motherboard/?variant=15125

Also, the link I shared for Asus is now sold out, ASUS TUF Gaming A520M-Plus AMD AM4 Micro-ATX Motherboard with DDR4 4800MHz and USB 3.2 Gen 2
Probably like 5600 deal at about 12K, I missed this also
Overkill motherboard. Really, you do not need much features for a gaming build. Also, won't it go way beyond your budget?

IMO, if you feel that budget is holding you back, leave the memory upgrade for another day.
Consider the Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming as well. It costs 8k, so 2k less than the B550 Pro vdh. For that 2k, you do lose a BIOS flashback button and Wifi.

OP
Ricky

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
What about brand preference, people say that Asus is better than MSI than its Asrock then Gigabyte, if I buy ASrock, is it bad ?

Overkill motherboard. Really, you do not need much features for a gaming build. Also, won't it go way beyond your budget?

IMO, if you feel that budget is holding you back, leave the memory upgrade for another day.
Consider the Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming as well. It costs 8k, so 2k less than the B550 Pro vdh. For that 2k, you do lose a BIOS flashback button and Wifi.
+1
R5 5600/X + MSI B550M Pro VDH WiFi is more than enough, can even handle 5700X in a good cabinet w/o OC. Add RAM later.

What about brand preference, people say that Asus is better than MSI than its Asrock then Gigabyte, if I buy ASrock, is it bad ?
I will rate it as Asus, MSI, Gigabyte & AsRock, in that order, but also depends on prices, specific model & deals. I'm myself using Gigabyte because of a great deal I got on the mobo. You can find an Asus mobo priced similar to MSI but performing inferior (just a scenario). Check mobo VRM testing by Hardware unboxed if you are curious, but the MSI B550M Pro VDH WiFi has almost everything that most people need.

DestGod

Journeyman
It's not that Asrock is bad, it's just that they get overshadowed by the other brands. Additionally, Asrock has consistently managed to get in trouble each year, with the most recent being the DDR5 sticker controversy. But the B550 PG is still a decent board.

Btw, could you answer these questions?
1. What games do you plan on playing and on what resolution and settings?

2. List your entire system specs, with the model and name of every single part. Include fans, case, PSU, current CPU and motherboard, storage and everything inside. All play a big part in what you buy now.

3. What is your current monitor?

If you still haven't decided on what buy, then trust me when I say this, we could all be here for months unless you answer these questions.

OP
Ricky

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
It's not that Asrock is bad, it's just that they get overshadowed by the other brands. Additionally, Asrock has consistently managed to get in trouble each year, with the most recent being the DDR5 sticker controversy. But the B550 PG is still a decent board.

Btw, could you answer these questions?
1. What games do you plan on playing and on what resolution and settings?

2. List your entire system specs, with the model and name of every single part. Include fans, case, PSU, current CPU and motherboard, storage and everything inside. All play a big part in what you buy now.

3. What is your current monitor?

If you still haven't decided on what buy, then trust me when I say this, we could all be here for months unless you answer these questions.

This is what I have currently :
PSU: Corsair 750 CXM
RAM : HyperX Fury 8GB CL15 2400Mhz (Just realized, its not 16GB)
GPU : Zotac 3060Ti
Case : Corsair spec 01 with its stock fan
SSD : Adata SP580 premier 240GB
Monitor : Acer ED242QR 23.6” Full HD VA Panel Curved

I may add ultrawide monitor somewhere later, 29inch or 34inch.

For games, I really don't know yet, will use steam and try few, but expecting that current or some future titles should run fine at decent settings if not max.

On the other hand MSI X570 A Pro would be wastage, just wondering what is target user of such boards if B550 boards are getting job done most of the time.

For games, I really don't know yet, will use steam and try few, but expecting that current or some future titles should run fine at decent settings if not max.

On the other hand MSI X570 A Pro would be wastage, just wondering what is target user of such boards if B550 boards are getting job done most of the time.
You need to buy 2 new RAM sticks, 2400MHz is a huge bottleneck. IF you have financial constraints, do upgrade in parts.

New CPU + mobo is a must buy, as suggested earlier, R5 5600 + B550 or i5 12400 + B660.

RAM - 2x 8GB DDR4 3600MHz CL18 (2x 16GB RAM if you want, get rid of 2400MHz one when you make this upgrade)

Buy a few Arctic P12 fan for the case & monitor temps.

Monitor - Buy a 27" 1440p 144Hz monitor later after the previous upgrades are done. Current monitor isn't great colour or response time wise, so needs an upgrade.

3060Ti is a solid 1440p GPU.

X570 is for overclockers mainly, people who use Ryzen 9 CPUs. Even R7 users can save a bit by not opting for X570. X570S has 3x M.2 slots.

DestGod

Journeyman

Yikes, as mentioned above, you really might want to upgrade most of your other parts as well. Performance can be severely impacted with your current build.

My suggestions would be these 2-
1. i3 12100F+Gigabyte B660 DS3H+2x8GB DDR4 Memory
2. Ryzen 5 5600 + Asrock B550 Phantom/MSI B550 PRO VDH

Both of these come within your current budget. At 1440p with the 3060 Ti, there won't be any noticeable performance difference between these 2, maybe 5-10 fps max. So take your pick.

Also, additional tip, don't try to pair any new memory/RAM kits with your existing Hyperx stick. It would be better to sell the Hyperx stick after getting new RAM.

OP
Ricky

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Yikes, as mentioned above, you really might want to upgrade most of your other parts as well. Performance can be severely impacted with your current build.

My suggestions would be these 2-
1. i3 12100F+Gigabyte B660 DS3H+2x8GB DDR4 Memory
2. Ryzen 5 5600 + Asrock B550 Phantom/MSI B550 PRO VDH

Both of these come within your current budget. At 1440p with the 3060 Ti, there won't be any noticeable performance difference between these 2, maybe 5-10 fps max. So take your pick.

Also, additional tip, don't try to pair any new memory/RAM kits with your existing Hyperx stick. It would be better to sell the Hyperx stick after getting new RAM.
Ya, I understand that existing RAM is useless hence will get 16G stick now and will add another 16G later.
Others I guess are fine for now, aren't they ?

OP
Ricky

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
May be it can have its own dedicated discussion ie. TDP and VRM thing.

For now I have finalized 5600x, that would mean that my spending would be 50% more than initial budget (about ~30K now including RAM stick). Now mobo has to be decided, I think will go for 15K board alone (since budget is already fucked up), what would be suggestions now ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
May be it can have its own dedicated discussion ie. TDP and VRM thing.

For now I have finalized 5600x, that would mean that my spending would be 50% more than initial budget (about ~30K now including RAM stick). Now mobo has to be decided, I think will go for 15K board alone (since budget is already fucked up), what would be suggestions now ?
Check the google spreadsheet link in below reddit thread, you will find lots of options & info based on solid research & testing to help you decide.

OP
Ricky

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
This was long read but guy from that reddit post, he is going against his own suggestions about features and then later suggesting don't buy things you don't need.
Here thing is that there are lots of perks but I am more interested in reliability part. Already ordered R5 5600x, and going by this read, should go for more feature like more x16 slots, more m2 slots etc. you then use them in future. How are B550 plus boards ?

DestGod

Journeyman
This was long read but guy from that reddit post, he is going against his own suggestions about features and then later suggesting don't buy things you don't need.
Here thing is that there are lots of perks but I am more interested in reliability part. Already ordered R5 5600x, and going by this read, should go for more feature like more x16 slots, more m2 slots etc. you then use them in future. How are B550 plus boards ?
Leave that post aside. There are more reputable YouTube channels that provide far better content, like Hardware unboxed and Gamers nexus. They explain what features you need and what you dont. If you're curious about the feature set of a motherboard, type in its name and watch reviews of it on YT.
Ex: Hardware unboxed does a quick overview of the MSI B550 PRO VDH here-

IMO MSI B550M Pro VDH WiFi is enough for most people for CPU upto 5800X3D & 5700X (w/o OC). Can save a decent money that can be put towards say an additional RAM or maybe purchasing 32GB instead of 16GB. Just get a tower style cooler & you can even OC 5600X on that mobo.

Top Bottom