Mobile Under 45k

dexterz

Journeyman
Hi there, I'm presently using One Plus 5T and of late it's starting to show its age when multitasking and gaming. I'm looking to buy a new mobile in one of the ongoing or maybe an upcoming sale.

The budget is around 45k and I've looked at OnePlus 8T , Mi 10 5G, Mi 10T series and realme X50pro. Will be playing Pogo and few other games on it.

I know that OnePlus is pretty decent with supporting the phones with android updates for close to 3more versions but I lack knowledge of the others.

Please suggest a phone for some gaming, good cameras, and VFM.

Editing to add the questionnaire.

1. Budget? 40~45k
2. Display type and size? AMOLED (1st pref)
3. Dual sim?
4. Preferred choice of brand? Oneplus, MI, Samsung(maybe) havent used samsung since galaxy s2
5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)?
6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS,Stock Android etc). Android
7. Preferred connectivity options (Dual 4G,802.11AC/5Ghz(not 5g mobile network) wifi).
8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)? Gaming,Camera, Multimedia
9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration? OnePlus 8T, Mi 10 5G, Samsung S20 FE
10. Any other info that you want to share --Physical fingerprint sensor would be good to have since I'm used to it on oneplus 5T. Last option is to factory reset and OP 5T and wait for next bunch of release in Jan~Mar'21 cycle.

Last edited:

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Samsung S20 FE 5G: 50K
Good phone overall, camera also good. Small downside is Exynos chip but it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

iPhone 11: it's going for around 50K as well. No cons as such except that it isn't an Android device. Would fit "VFM" tag too at that range.

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk

Fill the questionnaire to know your requirements better:
Questionnaire for Mobile phone purchase queries

If the camera is important, get S20 FE. It is 45k right now minus other card offers. Samsung will provide 3 Android updates as well. So this will go till 13.

For gaming, OP 8T is a great choice. Top performer with most updates, as it has 11 out of the box, will go till android 14.

Blindly ignore Realme, Vivo & oppo phones at this price. They miss something or the other. Mi 10 is good but is overpriced. Mi 10T lacks an OLED panel & its MIUI is not good enough at this price IMO.

OP
D

dexterz

Journeyman
Fill the questionnaire to know your requirements better:
Questionnaire for Mobile phone purchase queries

If the camera is important, get S20 FE. It is 45k right now minus other card offers. Samsung will provide 3 Android updates as well. So this will go till 13.

For gaming, OP 8T is a great choice. Top performer with most updates, as it has 11 out of the box, will go till android 14.

Blindly ignore Realme, Vivo & oppo phones at this price. They miss something or the other. Mi 10 is good but is overpriced. Mi 10T lacks an OLED panel & its MIUI is not good enough at this price IMO.
Mi 10 available with bank discount of 8k at 36999 for 8gb/128 model. is that worth going for?

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Mi 10 available with bank discount of 8k at 36999 for 8gb/128 model. is that worth going for?

Small advice, if your budget is above 40k, avoid mi, realme and all of bbk at any cost.

OnePlus 8 has serious screen issues.

Instead samsung s20 fe or iPhone 11 is far better as suggested by @thetechfreak

U can also rather wait and get asus zenfone 7. It will be better too, with stock android. And will have a good processor, sd865. So that will be better vfm, as you want android.

OP
D

dexterz

Journeyman
Small advice, if your budget is above 40k, avoid mi, realme and all of bbk at any cost.

OnePlus 8 has serious screen issues.

Instead samsung s20 fe or iPhone 11 is far better as suggested by @thetechfreak

U can also rather wait and get asus zenfone 7. It will be better too, with stock android. And will have a good processor, sd865. So that will be better vfm, as you want android.
has asus gotten better at providing updates? think i used zenfone 5 few years back and updates/fixes to it were moving slower than a snail.

what's issue with 8T screen? i read that its camera has been the same for last few generations but nothing about the screen.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
has asus gotten better at providing updates? think i used zenfone 5 few years back and updates/fixes to it were moving slower than a snail.

what's issue with 8T screen? i read that its camera has been the same for last few generations but nothing about the screen.

I have 6z, No issues so far. Updates mostly ccome in time now.
8T's screen has a red tint on it, ruining the whole experience.

Also, Oxygen OS 11 looks like a cheap copy of oneUI, Although it is personal preference, Its totally on your choice for UI.

Not sure how you are getting for 37k as I'm seeing it priced at 45k. It has a better rear cam than OP 8T, might be similar to S20 FE ones as Samsung has a better post-processing algorithm. But MIUI is something which isn't as good as Oxygen UI of OP or One UI of Samsung.

OP
D

dexterz

Journeyman
Not sure how you are getting for 37k as I'm seeing it priced at 45k. It has a better rear cam than OP 8T, might be similar to S20 FE ones as Samsung has a better post-processing algorithm. But MIUI is something which isn't as good as Oxygen UI of OP or One UI of Samsung.
ICICI Credit card offers 8000 flat off on Mi 10 and 5000 on Oneplus 7t/7t pro. hdfc offer 4000cashback on samsung s20 fe

OP
D

dexterz

Journeyman
Seeing lot of reviews on Amazon for Samsung s20 fe as having heating issues with normal usage and battery drains fast. Any idea about it? Planning to visit a showroom and get a hands on today.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Seeing lot of reviews on Amazon for Samsung s20 fe as having heating issues with normal usage and battery drains fast. Any idea about it? Planning to visit a showroom and get a hands on today.

Not much idea, but for games, it should be hotter than S865 phones. For normal usage it should be fine IMO, but look for more reviews made by those using Exynos version of S20 FE.

OP
D

dexterz

Journeyman
Not much idea, but for games, it should be hotter than S865 phones. For normal usage it should be fine IMO, but look for more reviews made by those using Exynos version of S20 FE.
Runs hotter and slower than SD seems to be the general trend of exynos s20 fe reviews. All reviews on Amazon India is for exynos version as we don't get SD version AFAIK. Only the camera seems to be its strong point. Makes me think if I should look at MI 10 which had SD and Samsung camera.
No perfect phone I guess which has gaming camera and good OS. Opt for any 2 of the 3. SD version of FE would've been great as it covers all 3

Runs hotter and slower than SD seems to be the general trend of exynos s20 fe reviews. All reviews on Amazon India is for exynos version as we don't get SD version AFAIK. Only the camera seems to be its strong point. Makes me think if I should look at MI 10 which had SD and Samsung camera.
No perfect phone I guess which has gaming camera and good OS. Opt for any 2 of the 3. SD version of FE would've been great as it covers all 3

Good sensor alone doesn't get you good pics, take Sony phones for example who have been selling sensors to Apple, Google & Samsung for years but until last year, their image quality was always noticeably inferior (side by side). Pixel 5 has the weakest sensors this year, yet it takes flagship like pics. Xiaomi has inferior camera algo, most Chinese companies do, except for Huawei, maybe.

True, SD version of S20 FE covers all points, but yeah, now you have to make a compromise somewhere.

OP
D

dexterz

Journeyman
Good sensor alone doesn't get you good pics, take Sony phones for example who have been selling sensors to Apple, Google & Samsung for years but until last year, their image quality was always noticeably inferior (side by side). Pixel 5 has the weakest sensors this year, yet it takes flagship like pics. Xiaomi has inferior camera algo, most Chinese companies do, except for Huawei, maybe.

True, SD version of S20 FE covers all points, but yeah, now you have to make a compromise somewhere.
It'll probably be a oneplus 8t or Samsung s20 fe. Just contacted product expert chat on Samsung regarding SD variant and he said wait for first week of November for announcement. Not sure if he was blowing smoke or anything would come of it.
I'm planning to take up some astrophotography in near future. Which would be a better option for night time shoot between 8t and fe?

It'll probably be a oneplus 8t or Samsung s20 fe. Just contacted product expert chat on Samsung regarding SD variant and he said wait for first week of November for announcement. Not sure if he was blowing smoke or anything would come of it.
I'm planning to take up some astrophotography in near future. Which would be a better option for night time shoot between 8t and fe?

S20 FE has better cameras, like not a big question. OP 8T has gaming performance going for it.

I highly doubt Samsung will bring SD version to India. Only hope for us & Europeans is that Samsung makes better Exynos SoCs. Chinese phones have been selling a lot on Europe partially because of lack of SD in Samsung, a big problem this year as difference b/w Exynos & SD is huge, not to forget higher heat & lower battery life. Many Europeans can easily afford flagships like Americans but being offered inferior product to Americans pisses them off. Seeing that a EUR500-600 Chinese phone is a better value, no wonder likes of Xiaomi, Huawei & even OP/Oppo/Vivo are selling there a lot now.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
S20 FE has better cameras, like not a big question. OP 8T has gaming performance going for it.

I highly doubt Samsung will bring SD version to India. Only hope for us & Europeans is that Samsung makes better Exynos SoCs. Chinese phones have been selling a lot on Europe partially because of lack of SD in Samsung, a big problem this year as difference b/w Exynos & SD is huge, not to forget higher heat & lower battery life. Many Europeans can easily afford flagships like Americans but being offered inferior product to Americans pisses them off. Seeing that a EUR500-600 Chinese phone is a better value, no wonder likes of Xiaomi, Huawei & even OP/Oppo/Vivo are selling there a lot now.

This has caused a serious hate among samsung in Europe and people are considering huawei over it. Although it lacks GMS.

But next year, as per leaks, Exynos 2100 is gonna beat 875. Exynos 1080, which is a midranger also has a great score anyways.

OP
D

dexterz

Journeyman
Got a price of 45k (after 10k cash back) on s20 128gb model. Is that a better option than s20 fe at 40k or 8t?

Got a price of 45k (after 10k cash back) on s20 128gb model. Is that a better option than s20 fe at 40k or 8t?

S20 definitely has inferior battery life than the other two, but it is a more compact phone & personally I would get that anyday. It's surely built better than S20 FE, has much better telephoto cam (other 2 rear cams are same) & likely has better selfie cam as well.

OP
D

dexterz

Journeyman
S20 definitely has inferior battery life than the other two, but it is a more compact phone & personally I would get that anyday. It's surely built better than S20 FE, has much better telephoto cam (other 2 rear cams are same) & likely has better selfie cam as well.
S20 plus just dropped to 45k after 4k cashback. Looks like it has a larger battery than s20. So many changing offers due to the festival season

S20 plus just dropped to 45k after 4k cashback. Looks like it has a larger battery than s20. So many changing offers due to the festival season

S20+ is better choice than S20 FE & S20 (except for compactness).

Top Bottom