Mobile Phone under Rs. 40,000

Nehra2356

Right off the assembly line
Hello,

1. Budget? - Max 40k. Already stretched.
2. Display type and size? - Good clear display, Must not be smaller than 5.7 inches
3. Dual sim? - DOesn't matter. I use only one sim.
4. Preferred choice of brand? - Anything except Apple
5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)? - Top priority. Best in class. Both great photos and great videos.
6. Preferred operating system?(Android, iOS,Stock Android etc). - Android
7. Preferred connectivity options (Dual 4G,802.11AC/5Ghz(not 5g mobile network) wifi). - 4g
8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)? - Camera, Multimedia, Internet, NO gaming
9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration? - Oneplus 7t / Samsung galaxy S9+
10. Any other info that you want to share -
- Best Camera and good battery life are my top priorities.
- I don't care about 4GB, 6GB or 8GB RAMs
- 64 GB or 128GB inbuilt space is more than enough for me.
- Don't care about the triple camera and all that gimmick.
- Don't care about 60 Hz or 90 Hz gimmicks.
- All I want is a good looking phone with top-class photo and video results and more than a good battery life.

Regards.

Edit: I am using Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 (3GB RAM) for the last 3.5 years and never felt that I am missing anything ever. I only want to replace it because of the bad camera quality.

Last edited:
My post in another thread, which whitestar mentioned:

"Pixel 3a XL & S9+ should be two of the best cams for the price.

3a XL has weak SoC for the price (15k phones have better SoC now), no expandable storage (64GB might feel less soon), small display for the size of phone (poor screen to body ratio), single SIM till eSIM gains momentum & weaker display protection but has fastest OS updates with good camera-centric software updates (I doubt Pixel a series might not get everything in future because of the weak SoC). S9+, on the other hand, would have Android 10 as its last software, but boasts IP certification. One UI is good, better than stock IMO because of added features, but doesn't change the fact that other two will get Android 12 (some doubt on Pixel 3a, but time will tell).

OP 7T has more versatile cams, ultrawide really gives a good perspective, much more useful than telephoto. Its software support is almost as good as Google, takes longer but they do deliver it fast enough. Added features of Oxygen OS makes it more useful than stock OS. Because of Snapdragon SoC, you can use ported GCam to improve cam experience. Not to forget it has the 2nd fastest fastest mobile SoC right now, along with 90Hz display & a much faster charging solution than other two (30W vs 18/15W is a big difference alone, but the algorithm is better as well).

So decide keeping these in mind.
Compare Google Pixel 3a XL vs. OnePlus 7T vs. Samsung Galaxy S9+ - GSMArena.com "

- Best Camera and good battery life are my top priorities.
- I don't care about 4GB, 6GB or 8GB RAMs
- 64 GB or 128GB inbuilt space is more than enough for me.
- Don't care about the triple camera and all that gimmick.
- Don't care about 60 Hz or 90 Hz gimmicks.
- All I want is a good looking phone with top-class photo and video results and more than a good battery life.

Regards.

Edit: I am using Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 (3GB RAM) for the last 3.5 years and never felt that I am missing anything ever. I only want to replace it because of the bad camera quality.
You should totally avoid 4GB RAM in a 20k+ phone now. 8GB is overkill even now, but 6GB is good for the next 2-3 years.

I'd agree 64GB is enough, if you regularly take backups to a PC or something.

Depth sensor & macro aren't useful, even telephoto isn't that useful. But ultrawide is useful, used it first on a LG G6, its a nice perspective to have.

90Hz might not be a big noticeable change as some might exaggerate but there's a minor improvement. High Hz is the future. I'd say 1080p 90Hz would be better to have than 1440p 60Hz.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I don't want it but have to recommend you OP 7T. Though it lacks 3.5mm jack, has a notch and is overpriced, Oxygen OS and SD855+ make it better than S9+.
Your other option can be Poco F1 on a custom rom and Gcam. It'd have same, if not better, performance as a Global S9+ (which is better than Indian variant) but lacks ultrawide camera and oled screen. Also, it came 2nd in MKBHD's 2018 blind shootout.

OP
N

Nehra2356

Thank you anupam_pb and SaiyanGoku.

What about Redmi K20 or K20 pro. I'm hearing good things about these models. Are they better than Oneplus 7t, Poco F1 or S9+?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
What about Redmi K20 or K20 pro. I'm hearing good things about these models. Are they better than Oneplus 7t, Poco F1 or S9+?
K20 pro is better than F1 for sure. Redmi gives 18W charger in box while the phone supports 27W (sold for 1k separately). If you are considering value for money factor and can live with ColorOS crap, I'd say Realme X2 Pro is better (don't expect good custom roms for X2 Pro and unlocking bootloader disables fingerprint for some random stupid reason :sniper::machinegun2:).

Haven't seen any comparison with S9+ yet. Are you okay with paying 7-10k extra for OxygenOS and bit better camera with OIS?

meetdilip

Computer Addict
What about Redmi K20 or K20 pro. I'm hearing good things about these models.

I heard complaints that Xiaomi is not supporting them well. I am not sure where I read, but it said that Xiaomi is focusing on their new flagship and K20 series is taking a backseat. I could be wrong, but I guess the source was a genuine user. Do your research before buying.

OP
N

Nehra2356

If you are considering value for money factor and can live with ColorOS crap, I'd say Realme X2 Pro is better (don't expect good custom roms for X2 Pro and unlocking bootloader disables fingerprint for some random stupid reason :sniper::machinegun2:).
I don't play with my phone's roms. So it doesn't affect me. But somehow, I don't trust Oppo, Vivo, Realme kinda brands. So I'll stay away from it.

Are you okay with paying 7-10k extra for OxygenOS and bit better camera with OIS?
If I have to spend extra money, I would rather buy Galaxy S10 or S10+ without a second thought. But right now I don't want to spend that much money on a phone which anyways I am going to use for communication and some great video and photography. (Obviously not for professional use).

OP
N

Nehra2356

I heard complaints that Xiaomi is not supporting them well. I am not sure where I read, but it said that Xiaomi is focusing on their new flagship and K20 series is taking a backseat. I could be wrong, but I guess the source was a genuine user. Do your research before buying.
I never had a problem with even my Redmi Note 3 for last 3.5 years. You may be right but I trust Xiaomi.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
In that case, I have an update for you. This is very recent. Xiaomi launched Mi TVs in India early 2018. In Sept, Xiaomi switched all TVs to Android TV and offered to upgrade 32 inch and 43 inch models to Android TV. Even today, there are lakhs of 1 st gen users who got no update ( some got recently ) and are cursing Xiaomi in their official forum. Do you know, Xiaomi had no experience in selling TVs. Yet, there are 10 lakh plus ( million plus ) units sold in India by users like you who trusted Xiaomi. Do you know that even YouTube app won't work in those 1st gen TVs? 55 inch TV has got no promise at all. 55k and there is no working YouTube app :(

I am not turning you against Xiaomi, nor I have any intention to tell you which product to buy. What I told you so far is something you can read at Mi.com India support section.

Xiaomi these days are falling back in customer care. But again, don't take my word.

OP
N

Nehra2356

In that case, I have an update for you. This is very recent. Xiaomi launched Mi TVs in India early 2018. In Sept, Xiaomi switched all TVs to Android TV and offered to upgrade 32 inch and 43 inch models to Android TV. Even today, there are lakhs of 1 st gen users who got no update ( some got recently ) and are cursing Xiaomi in their official forum. Do you know, Xiaomi had no experience in selling TVs. Yet, there are 10 lakh plus ( million plus ) units sold in India by users like you who trusted Xiaomi. Do you know that even YouTube app won't work in those 1st gen TVs? 55 inch TV has got no promise at all. 55k and there is no working YouTube app :(

I am not turning you against Xiaomi, nor I have any intention to tell you which product to buy. What I told you so far is something you can read at Mi.com India support section.

Xiaomi these days are falling back in customer care. But again, don't take my word.
Sure, Dilip. I know your intentions are good. Peace bro.

Thank you anupam_pb and SaiyanGoku.

K20 pro is better than Poco F1 but not 7T, better than S9+ in some respects, but S9+ will thrash it easily in camera. 7T will give a much better competition to S9+ & Pixel 3a XL. 7T is easily a good all-round phone under 40k.

OP
N

Nehra2356

K20 pro is better than Poco F1 but not 7T, better than S9+ in some respects, but S9+ will thrash it easily in camera. 7T will give a much better competition to S9+ & Pixel 3a XL. 7T is easily a good all-round phone under 40k.
Thanks Anupam. Yup, I have decided to go for Oneplus 7T. Thanks to everyone who replied.

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan

i agree with that. as per my personal experience, for the last 1 year or more, they are only interested in launching one device after another. the service part is almost gone. any newly launched phone gets update first but after some time, it becomes old and another one becomes priority.

i had a series of talks with multiple people from xiaomi and their development team. none of them even acknowledged problems which i reported. service centre staff (third party) who knows me, told me that there are problems which they have reported but xiaomi is not doing anything so they are helpless.

a lot many super idiot admins in their official forum remove most of the posts like these.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
I have a Redmi Note phone which works fine even now. 5 years old ? I am not sure, but it works without a glitch. That was what Xiaomi was before. They supported devices even after 2 years of selling them. But now they want to sell more units ( perhaps they have targets ). They can't sell more units if the old one works great.

Also, there is a lot of investment in promotion, marketing and social media advertisement. But lesser when it comes to ROM, customer care etc. This could be linked to the falling standards after Hugo Burra left. Personally I would like an Indian as their head due to the love for my country. But now when we look back, Hugo Burra cared about quality and customer satisfaction too and not just numbers.

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
I am told that it is just 2 years of updates for Redmi series and this period starts with the launch of phone. After that nothing, even within that, it is not regular. So consider yourself lucky if the company is releasing any update beyond that period.

Top Bottom