Mini-ITX build for my dad

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Hey there,
I am looking for a mini-ITX build as a gift for my dad, as his current pc is now like..10 years old now. I have built several ITX systems before, but never the mini ITX ones.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: My dad is going to use it for internet browsing, online web based games (nothing fancy, only chess etc.), play music, microsoft office and occasional printouts.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: I am targeting 30k, can extend upto 40k.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10 x64

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1TB. I would also like to add in a SSD (120 or 250 GB) for windows storage.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No. The current monitor is 19 inch 1440x900. I know its outdated but its good for now.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: The cabinet + all components need to be bought new.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: 2-3 weeks.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Will build it on my own.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: In India these days, can shop online or offline from nehru place, delhi.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: No graphics card required. I am thinking of giving ryzen system a try this time as I've never played with an AMD system before. Plus its inbuilt graphics processor is much better than intel's, so it should be a better choice.

chetansha

In the zone
Why mini itx? These boards tend to be more expensive than m-atx . I would suggest you go for :

Ryzen 2400g
350/450 chipset mbd
8-16gb ram
256/512gb ssd / m2 nvme if budget permits
450w psu seasonic ( don't do kanjoosi here)
Decent cabinet
Keyboard mouse Logitech combo wireless if you like

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Why mini itx? These boards tend to be more expensive than m-atx . I would suggest you go for :

Ryzen 2400g
350/450 chipset mbd
8-16gb ram
256/512gb ssd / m2 nvme if budget permits
Decent cabinet
Keyboard mouse Logitech combo wireless if you like

Sorry, I forgot to mention that smallest possible system is the priority here :)
I guess 2400G would be more than enough. Is 2200G good? If price difference between the two is considerable enough, I guess 2200G should be okay for me.
Ram 8 GB would be sufficient.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
What's the monitor you have? I don't remember seeing ITX board with VGA port. Does yours have HDMI port?

In my view even Pentium/Athlon 200GE should be suffice for the need.

As cheransha said ITX board and cabinet/compatible PSU will be more expensive and will sure overshoot your budget.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member

Days of recommending seasonic in India are long gone,only older/discontinued models are available here with no recent models availability.Only option for psu now in India is Corsair CXx5x/TMx/RMx series.

OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
*www.amazon.in/Cooler-Master-Elite-...d=1538903795&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+itx+pc+case
What's the monitor you have? I don't remember seeing ITX board with VGA port. Does yours have HDMI port?

In my view even Pentium/Athlon 200GE should be suffice for the need.

As cheransha said ITX board and cabinet/compatible PSU will be more expensive and will sure overshoot your budget.

You are right. Its Dell E1909w with VGA and DVI-D ports and no HDMI. But a converter can be used until the monitor is upgraded.
I am seeing mini-ITX cases for rougly Rs. 4k on amazon, but the motherboards are surely looking more expensive. However, I think mini ITX cases support standard size PSU's. Can anybody confirm please? Overall, I think only the motherboard would be little expensive, rest should be fine.
Below are some rough figures:

Case: 4.5k
PSU: 4k
Processor: 7k (Ryzen 2200G?)
RAM: 8GB (5k)
1TB HDD: 3.5k
120GB SSD: 2.5k

Total: 26.5k
That leaves me with approx. 8-10k for a motherboard if I extend my budget to 35k.
This makes me wonder about AIO systems. Are those good? They sure look great with neat design and no wires whatsoever.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ That's a very good pricing for RAM and CPU.

This will come about 40k

Ryzen 2200G
MSI B450I Gaming Plus (the only ITX board available AFAIK)
Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz 8GB DDR4
CM Elite 130 m ITX
Antec NE550M or Corsair CX450
Samsung 860EVO 250GB
WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm

OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Alright guys, I thought about this again and I think I should just upgrade his current system rather than going for a new system altogether. It would help to get a decent monitor within same budget.
Things I can still use from the existing system

Coolmaster elite (some model) mid size cabinet (still in very good condition)
Corsair VX 450 PSU (Great PSU, but now approx. 10 years old. Working absolutely fine but not sure if I should replace this. There wouldn't be any dedicated graphics card in the system though)

Please advise for new processor, motherboard, RAM, HDD (1TB), SSD (120GB, only for OS) and Monitor.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^getting new processor & mobo itself means new system.Suggestions are already there above your post.Just get Kingston A400 120gb from onlyssd.com for 1.8k & 2*4gb corsair 2400mhz ram from vedantcomputers(dual channel ram matters much more for ryzen G processors).

OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Apologies as I didn't mention it explicitly in my previous post. Earlier suggestions were for M-ITX system. As the existing case is mid size, it can accomodate ATX motherboards, which cost much lesser than m-ITX. That price drop may also help to get better components (or maybe not). Also, I need to have a decent monitor now (FHD, atleast 24").

Top Bottom