Microsoft terminates its Tay AI chatbot after she turns into a Nazi

Cyberghost

Federal Agent Area 51
Staff member
*cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/tay-picture.jpg​

Microsoft has been forced to dunk Tay, its millennial-mimicking chatbot, into a vat of molten steel. The company has terminated her after the bot started tweeting abuse at people and went full neo-Nazi, declaring that "Hitler was right I hate the jews."

@TheBigBrebowski ricky gervais learned totalitarianism from adolf hitler, the inventor of atheism

— TayTweets (@TayandYou) March 23, 2016

Some of this appears to be "innocent" insofar as Tay is not generating these responses. Rather, if you tell her "repeat after me" she will parrot back whatever you say, allowing you to put words into her mouth. However, some of the responses were organic. The Guardian quotes one where, after being asked "is Ricky Gervais an atheist?", Tay responded, "ricky gervais learned totalitarianism from adolf hitler, the inventor of atheism."

Read More: Arstechnica

TheSloth

The Slowest One
So Microsoft created a chat bot that so perfectly emulates a teenager that it went off spouting offensive things just for the sake of getting attention?

I would say the engineers in Redmond succeeded beyond their wildest expectations, myself.

wow. damn those people who created this bot are genius

Top Bottom