Microsoft Starts A FUD Campaign Against OpenOffice.org?

Rahim

Married!
LinuxToday.com

"It seems like OpenOffice.org is really giving Microsoft nightmares, so much so that that they have put up a video in YouTube doing what they do best – spread FUD against OpenOffice.org (and open-source in general).

"Unlike Microsoft’s Office Suite, which can cost even above $400, OpenOffice.org is completely free to download and use.

"Here is the Microsoft video in case you wan to see it:"

[youtube]kzdykNa2IBU[/youtube]​

Slashdot.org
ChiefMonkeyGrinder writes
"Microsoft has unwittingly admitted that OpenOffice.org is a rival, by launching a three-minute video of customers explaining why they switched to Microsoft Office from OpenOffice.org. Glyn Moody writes: 'You don't compare a rival's product with your own if it is not comparable. And you don't make this kind of attack video unless you are really, really worried about the growing success of a competitor. [Microsoft] has now clearly announced that OpenOffice.org is a serious rival to Microsoft Office, and should be seriously considered by anyone using the latter.'"

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of the claims might be true.

FYI : Oracle has been giving some trouble to Developers of Openoffice.org and so a new fork LibreOffice has been developed.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Heh, first time I see M$ acknowledge Open Office via a video. The sad part is a lot of stuff is not supported in OpenOffice.org and that is due to the fact Microsoft has created such an insane documentation for OOXML and has fiercely lobbied to push it.
I think OpenOffice/LibreOffice should make a response video to this.

As a side note:
*blogs.computerworlduk.com/open-ent...nofficeorg/index.htm?cmpid=sbslashdotschapman

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Says it all:

*img3.imageshack.us/img3/3903/saysitall.png

Those 206 are Microsoft employees.

vaithy

In the zone
I support M$ in this matter.. let them post more such "free" advertisement..Then people may come to know "so there is a alternative.. let us try it" imagine even a 1% of the targeted windows users know OO and actually installed in their system.. it can spread its tentacles slowly.. See the example of 'Android' When version 1.0 was come out more negative comments and advertisement attacking android given in the media by the M$ and Apple combined, till 1.6 version come Android is clumsy .. what where is now 'Android'? Where is 'win Mob' ? now..
negative publicity is good for FOSS if it is by M$.. Remember the "Linux: know the fact" campaign by M$ whenever I want to see Linux matter and type it in google immediately M$ advertised "why Linux is BAD ?" sites appeared instantly.. then there are thousands Linux sites which are solely survived on running the advertisement "Know the fact" M$ campaign..
sadly those sites are starving.. Please Ballmer. .Go ahead You have done good things for Android.. now please do give more advertisement like this so Linux and OO can increase their share..
Neither stallman nor Torwalds can match your skill to destroy M$ products!

OP
Rahim

Rahim

Married!
I beleived negative publicity was good only for Bolly junkies :D

Anyway, we need more Power users to really highlight whether Oo is ready for serious prime time work rather than just a free alternative which has its own share of, dated interface and still improving in terms of compatibilty with MS Office. Oo 3.2 was a huge improvement though.

Problem of implementing in Enterprise level may be quite true considering lack of inter-operatibilty.

Many peple know that there are other worlds besides Microsoft.

vaithy

In the zone
copying MS Products or catching up with them will not help to OO but advertise the cool features or create some other 'killer' features in OO than watch for it. perhaps now 'libre Office' developers can focus their attention to that idea. My officce use Office 2007 and when details of bills are copied in to MSword and forwarded to customers email, many customers complained they could not open it in their old Office format. I introduced OO writer to my staff and told them to export the file in to pdf then attach it. Now customers are happy.. such features should be explained to users

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice really need to fix their compatibility with the old MS Office binary formats and the OOXML format. It's the real need of the hour IMO. Also fix their interface, the current Swing Interface is like :|
MS Office should be beaten in their own game.

Krow

Crowman
^+1.

M$ has shot itself again with another mud slinging ad campaign. Even my roommate did not know about Open/LibreOffice. He thought it was owned by M$. Now even he knows that there is something beyond M$ Office. Good awareness campaign for OSS by M$.

Down with monopolies! ;)

abhijangda

Padawan
oh Microsoft pata nahin kab sudhrega, let them do this. But we will continue to use OpenOffice.org( or open source in general).

varuog

Journeyman
I could not believe at first that M$ could actually do something like this.

I myself am a strong supporter of open-source software. in fact, now I am even feeling better for posting my recent post regarding the same topic (refer: TechRav: Best "Free Alternatives" for Microsoft Office ! ) at my blog ...

Keep up the good work M$. Through this video, you are spreading information that alternatives for M$ products exist !!! Cheers !

OP
Rahim

Rahim

Married!
"However, Oracle is not taking their move well. They want the founders of The Documents Foundation to leave the OpenOffice.org council. According to Oracle, their works with The Documents Foundation and LibreOffice will conflict with that of OpenOffice.org."

What do we make of this move?

"we already fell addicted to this specific drug, it feels good and we see no way out. So you should take it too".

Quite true

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Rahim

Rahim

Married!
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."

Mahatma Gandhi

Top Bottom