Microsoft is testing ads in the Windows 11 File Explorer

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
My personal philosophy is that any game that I can play on Linux I don't play on Windows. So, I keep Windows only for other games.

Since Apex Legends is now playable on Linux in Proton 7 and the Steam Deck, I think other games will also follow.

I understand your reluctance. But then dismissing Linux without trying it is unfair as well IMO. I suggest at least trying it out in dual boot and try to familiarize yourself with it. Try non-gaming activities on Linux and do all the gaming on Windows.
Dual-booting on a daily basis is impractical for me. Don't have too much time these days to try everything myself, so do rely on videos like Linus.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Not all but most

*www.protondb.com/
What is this Native, Gold & Platinum means by?

What is best flavor of Linux which resembles Windows 11 or 10?

I used to use Ubuntu around 2009 & 2010 but later stopped using it because I got busy with my married life and my wifey wanted Oracle on top of Windows for her software job.

Sent from my SM-M317F using Tapatalk

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Linux is like android, you can install launcher on top to change appearance.

Try Linux Mint, its a community fork of Ubuntu with Cinnamon Desktop environment. It looks pretty similar to windows taskbar.

IMO if you want to try Linux, dont expect everything to be similar to windows. Expect command line fixes for common issues which you might be used to, in Windows by GUI.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Linux is like android, you can install launcher on top to change appearance.

Try Linux Mint, its a community fork of Ubuntu with Cinnamon Desktop environment. It looks pretty similar to windows taskbar.

IMO if you want to try Linux, dont expect everything to be similar to windows. Expect command line fixes for common issues which you might be used to, in Windows by GUI.
Okay will try
Thanks for telling

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
What is this Native, Gold & Platinum means by?
Native means that that game as a native Linux version that was built specifically for Linux. As such the other ratings don't apply since native games don't use a compatibility layer like Proton.

Borked, Silver, Gold and Platinum are ratings for Windows games running on Linux using Proton or other methods. Borked means that the game does not run whatsoever. Silver means that the game runs but with there could be stability issues or it's barely playable. Gold means that the game runs well with some minor tweaks needed. Platinum means that the game just runs out of the box with little to no tweaks.
What is best flavor of Linux which resembles Windows 11 or 10?
Linux Mint I think is a good starting point for beginners. Are you using Nvidia? It might need some tweaks to run properly on Linux Mint. If you have any issues or questions you can ask here - Linux Discussion Thread

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Native means that that game as a native Linux version that was built specifically for Linux. As such the other ratings don't apply since native games don't use a compatibility layer like Proton.

Borked, Silver, Gold and Platinum are ratings for Windows games running on Linux using Proton or other methods. Borked means that the game does not run whatsoever. Silver means that the game runs but with there could be stability issues or it's barely playable. Gold means that the game runs well with some minor tweaks needed. Platinum means that the game just runs out of the box with little to no tweaks.

Linux Mint I think is a good starting point for beginners. Are you using Nvidia? It might need some tweaks to run properly on Linux Mint. If you have any issues or questions you can ask here - Linux Discussion Thread
No I am running rx6600xt

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Then you should be good. Generally AMD and Intel GPUs have better driver support than Nvidia.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
once u are comfortable with it , u can also customize how it looks and behaves .
Will try once and then see for customization. I like modding a lot. That's why I always search for browser extensions and Windows Themes as such.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
For general public to pick up Linux, it needs to be made available out of the box. So if the laptop doesn't come with Linux, people will most likely won't try it. Dual booting Ubuntu on my Dell XPS 15 laptop wasn't straight forward.

I wanted to try PopOs but it refused to recognize ssd partition I created. Also battery backup on Ubuntu on my laptop is poor.

I want to shift to Linux but it ain't easy for me.

K_akash_i

Journeyman
For general public to pick up Linux, it needs to be made available out of the box. So if the laptop doesn't come with Linux, people will most likely won't try it. Dual booting Ubuntu on my Dell XPS 15 laptop wasn't straight forward.

I wanted to try PopOs but it refused to recognize ssd partition I created. Also battery backup on Ubuntu on my laptop is poor.

I want to shift to Linux but it ain't easy for me.
could u try something like fedora ? It 'may' last longer, because of wayland session prolly and from videos of framework laptop it seems fedora is suitable for laptops.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
could u try something like fedora ? It 'may' last longer, because of wayland session prolly and from videos of framework laptop it seems fedora is suitable for laptops.
Maybe in the future. The point was not about the distro itself, but how installing Linux is not simple(especially dual booting) and in order for the Linux adoption to grow, laptops with linux pre-installed is necessary. Until then people will keep buying laptops with windows and put up with Microsoft's windows shenanigans. very few will try installing linux.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Even dual booting is simple. The only thing you need to keep in mind is to mount the EFI partition as /boot/efi. Most of the popular distros do this automatically if you choose the "install next to windows" option, at least Ubuntu has this option IIRC. Then the installer will automatically detect the Windows partition and add the appropriate entries in GRUB and you will get the option to choose the OS to boot after rebooting.

Some of the "boutique" distros might not do that but then I don't think this is too complex to configure manually. If you have the skill to install Windows, installing Linux is not too complex.

K_akash_i

Journeyman
If someone wants to try fedora Dual booting is quite easy , spare the windows partition (Prolly till sda4) , create boot/efi , root(btrfs), swap(optional), home(make home ext4 IMO) after the installation U'd immediately see a list whenever u boot, to switch between without a hassle.
Mint will show u option to install alongside windows though i like the one mentioned above.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
If you have enough RAM you generally don't need to make a swap partition and you can keep home as a directory in the root partition.

Top Bottom