Microsoft is testing ads in the Windows 11 File Explorer

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Microsoft has begun testing promotions for some of its other products in the File Explorer app on devices running its latest Windows 11 Insider build.

The new Windows 11 "feature" was discovered by a Windows user and Insider MVP who shared a screenshot of an advertisement notification displayed above the listing of folders and files to the File Explorer, the Windows default file manager.

More on:
*www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-is-testing-ads-in-the-windows-11-file-explorer/

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Another interesting article to give us at least some idea about where this all is headed.

*www.adexchanger.com/online-adverti...dvertising-is-the-companys-newfound-religion/

But that’s going to change, said Rob Wilk, who took over as head of Microsoft Advertising from Rik van der Kooi in January.

Earning $10 billion in a year, as Microsoft Advertising did in 2021, is certainly the sort of thing that makes the C-suite sit up and take notice. From CEO Satya Nadella down through other organizations within Microsoft, including Xbox and LinkedIn, there’s a “newfound religion” when it comes to the advertising opportunity, Wilk said.

AdExchanger: What’s your priority coming into this new job?

ROB WILK: How do we get the market to understand that what we’re doing is beyond search advertising. We have a fast-growing native business, our retail media offering with Promote IQ, we’re doubling down on our SMB business with hundreds of thousands of advertisers – and, of course, we have our pending acquisition of Xandr.

But now that we’ve reached this level of scale – hitting $10 billion in search and news ads – we’re starting to become significant within Microsoft. That $10 billion is bigger than Mattel, bigger than Southwest Airlines and other big standalone companies. It’s bigger than Snapchat and Twitter combined.

And so there’s a newfound commitment I’m feeling from Satya all the way through to our senior leadership team that, hey, if we can build a $10 billion ad business, what else can we do to accelerate that?

Take Google and Facebook: Because we don’t have the same share that they have, our mentality is much more focused on going out and earning every dollar that we get. You do that by setting a high bar on account and on the insights and data we can provide to agencies or to help clients be better marketers.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Linux is not bad, I have been using it full time for several years now. Just use some stable distro.

Linux is not bad, I have been using it full time for several years now. Just use some stable distro.
Linus' video on switching to Linux proves to me it still has a long road ahead for ease of use. Best case scenario, 2 years IMO. But I highly doubt it. Simple stuff like installing software is also a bad exp. IF I feel its bad, easy to not recommend it for the general public.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I think everyone has a different experience. Perhaps you should try it yourself and see.

K_akash_i

Journeyman
i back this, i've been hopping distros and finally settled with fedora , @omega44-xt u should try dualbooting(if u have ,then ignore)
I think linux mint would be the place to start
what windows has on extra are softwares like adobe and microsoft office suite , games and nvidias somewhat ignorance towards linux(only nvidia users can testify the current condition)
bottles app seems a promising bet for running them , u can also pass through VM, use alternatives.
gnome , kde, cinnamon are desktops that i would interest u to try.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Well thanks to valve, there has been an incredible strides in linux gaming (steam deck).

But to be totally fair, nobody would spend a 3070 budget to get the performance of a 3060Ti by going linux gaming. That gap can never be closed unless nvidia/amd themselves are interested.

i back this, i've been hopping distros and finally settled with fedora , @omega44-xt u should try dualbooting(if u have ,then ignore)
I think linux mint would be the place to start
what windows has on extra are softwares like adobe and microsoft office suite , games and nvidias somewhat ignorance towards linux(only nvidia users can testify the current condition)
bottles app seems a promising bet for running them , u can also pass through VM, use alternatives.
gnome , kde, cinnamon are desktops that i would interest u to try.
I tried Lubuntu on cousin's laptop last year, that + Linus' video is enough for me to stay away for a few more years. SteamOS is helping games, but ease of use, it's bad. I'll rather use MacOS than Linux. Anyways, Linux is not worth my time for now, but I seriously hope it will be. I'll be stuck with Nvidia GPU for few years.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I get 60 fps in a lot of games. Hitting 60 FPS is more than enough unless you run a 120+ Hz monitor.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I tried Lubuntu on cousin's laptop last year, that + Linus' video is enough for me to stay away for a few more years. SteamOS is helping games, but ease of use, it's bad. I'll rather use MacOS than Linux. Anyways, Linux is not worth my time for now, but I seriously hope it will be. I'll be stuck with Nvidia GPU for few years.

I've watched all of these and I still use Linux. I think Linus is a bit unfair in a lot of his comparisons.

K_akash_i

Journeyman

watchedem all when it came on youtube , Ubuntu is something undesirable IMO (and lubuntu uses lxde/lxqt which is generally a desktop for old devices. hence the experience)
u just bought in an RTX 3070 iirc (i donot gave any gpu so i cant vouch on the experience)
at the same time the OS u experienced is far off from the linux now
try live booting an os like fedora and tell us how far off it is from windows (I've suggested u fedora because it has things almost latest)
if u are able to spare a 100gigs do check this if fedora

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
if i'm not wrong amd has opensourced its gpu drivers right?
AMD has two drivers: amdgpu which is open source (part of Mesa) and amdgpu-pro which is closed source and has some additional features such as ray tracing. amdgpu is basically upstream of amdgpu-pro so any feature added to amdgpu will eventually get added to amdgpu-pro as well plus some additional features.

In my experience, you don't really need amdgpu-pro unless you are looking to use specific features provided by amdgpu-pro.

I've watched all of these and I still use Linux. I think Linus is a bit unfair in a lot of his comparisons.
I'll say, Linus' content is mostly for mass audience, hence why, for reviews of PC parts, I prefer Hardware Unboxed or Gamers Nexus, as those are more technical. These days I don't want to waste much time on tinkering OS, hence why even on phones, I don't root anymore & try to avoid pure stock android. For PCs, Win10 is my preference. I can get the features I want on Win11 by tinkering it, but heard it gets broken at times with Win updates, so sticking with Win10.

So, hopefully, linux is better in future in terms of ease of use, so even someone like Linus can recommend it for a lot of people. My dev friends who used to use Linux back in college are all using macOS because it is very convenient. But some amount of showoff is there with Apple for sure.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I understand your reluctance. But then dismissing Linux without trying it is unfair as well IMO. I suggest at least trying it out in dual boot and try to familiarize yourself with it. Try non-gaming activities on Linux and do all the gaming on Windows.

Top Bottom