Mi tv vs Oneplus tv vs Kodak tv

Dr. House

No Regrets
HiSense is a big brand globally in terms of sales, last year they were 4th:
TV manufacturers: LCD TV market share worldwide 2018 | Statista

After sales might be an issue initially but I doubt their TVs will have very high failure rates like totally new brands. I don't know why TCL doesn't have well priced TVs in India, they are the go to budget option in the US & their TVs are good as well.
It's not fair to compare HiSense global with India as both sell totally different models and panels. Just like nissan cars in India and US. In India HiSense is just an another new brand and with suspicious services. Few reviews online have panel defects for HiSense.
Even TCL makes amazing TVs abroad but non of those models comes in India for sale. They make cheap products for masses with poor PR and marketing.
Why those models doesn't come? It's because of our govt that puts 28% taxes on TVs above 32 inch already. Soon those taxes will increase due to import duty.
In fact there is no higher refresh rate TVs under 1000$ (75k INR) in India 2020, all comes with 60Hz and software optimised motion flow tech that looks unreal.

Also there is new range of cheap QLED series of TCL that comes with 3 years of warranty. Anyone has idea about that?

Last edited:
@omega44-xt Dude don't go alone with specs, they can be very misleading or downright wrong. I am guessing you haven't actually seen a MI TV outside showroom ?
My opinions aren't based on specs at all, it's based on user reviews, esp tech savvy ones. Hifivision is a good forum to discuss about TVs & audio gear. Based on specs, Kodak & Thompson seem promising but not so many good reviews from tech savvy people because many didn't buy it. That ain't the case with VU. I know forum members who bought it & are extremely satisfied.

Among TVs, I seen some LG, Samsung & Panasonic TVs in showroom, best was an LG OLED TV but its price was way high as well.

It's not fair to compare HiSense global with India as both sell totally different models and panels. Just like nissan cars in India and US. In India HiSense is just an another new brand and with suspicious services. Few reviews online have panel defects for HiSense.
Even TCL makes amazing TVs abroad but non of those models comes in India for sale. They make cheap products for masses with poor PR and marketing.
Why those models doesn't come? It's because of our govt that puts 28% taxes on TVs above 32 inch already. Soon those taxes will increase due to import duty.
In fact there is no higher refresh rate TVs under 1000$ (75k INR) in India 2020, all comes with 60Hz and software optimised motion flow tech that looks unreal.

Also there is new range of cheap QLED series of TCL that comes with 3 years of warranty. Anyone has idea about that?
The specs of HiSense ones brought to India are similar to Vu TVs that were available. It wasn't a secret that Vu were buying from HiSense, so many expected good things from its line up & initial reviews were good enough as well.

That's not the case with TCL India as they have inferior products here. Like even if they brought a good 43" 4K here for 30k ($300 in US), it might sell well, but sadly not the case. Even user reviews on amazon aren't that good for the options they have here.

Dr. House

No Regrets
The specs of HiSense ones brought to India are similar to Vu TVs that were available. It wasn't a secret that Vu were buying from HiSense, so many expected good things from its line up & initial reviews were good enough as well.

That's not the case with TCL India as they have inferior products here. Like even if they brought a good 43" 4K here for 30k ($300 in US), it might sell well, but sadly not the case. Even user reviews on amazon aren't that good for the options they have here.
I own a VU 4k 43" TV and it has samsung VA panel inside. Maybe VU taking rest other parts from HiSense.
Also I found few people complaining about black spots in coroner of HiSense panels. It's difficult to spend money on a new brand that I never ever seen anywhere for real. Do HiSense sell offline as well? I want to see that before considering.

I own a VU 4k 43" TV and it has samsung VA panel inside. Maybe VU taking rest other parts from HiSense.
Also I found few people complaining about black spots in coroner of HiSense panels. It's difficult to spend money on a new brand that I never ever seen anywhere for real. Do HiSense sell offline as well? I want to see that before considering.
I'm not sure which parts Vu bought from HiSense, many said they just rebranded HiSense models.

Most budget TVs aren't found in shops sadly, just available online, helps them with pricing as well.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
From what I read, TCL brings their 1 or 2 generation older TVs to India. A company sources, components from different vendors. So there have been cases where the same model of TV came with panels from 2 different vendors. So there was no guarantee, which buyer got which panel in their Tv.

Irrespective of the brand, after sales service is inconsistent and outright terrible in India. I am personally happy, we have cheaper options now atleast.

Dr. House

No Regrets
From what I read, TCL brings their 1 or 2 generation older TVs to India. A company sources, components from different vendors. So there have been cases where the same model of TV came with panels from 2 different vendors. So there was no guarantee, which buyer got which panel in their Tv.

Irrespective of the brand, after sales service is inconsistent and outright terrible in India. I am personally happy, we have cheaper options now atleast.
TCL TVs are amazing in terms of quality of panel. Really good contrast and colours in their low priced TVs. Yes, service is the big issue in India. I don't know any brand that gives satisfactory services. I faced pathetic service of expensive Samsung TV that I moved to other online brands that offers A+ panel, 3 years warranty and value for money.

Last edited:

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
TCL TVs are amazing in terms of quality of panel. Really good contrast and colours in their low priced TVs. Yes, service is the big issue in India. I don't know any brand that gives satisfactory services. I faced pathetic service of expensive Samsung TV that I moved to other online brands that offers A+ panel, 3 years warranty and value for money.
I would give more brownie points to Vizio instead of TCL. No doubt they sell excellent TV in USA & Canada. But in India its not that good.

Dr. House

No Regrets
Zangestu, How is this samsung LED model made in vietnam? It will cost me around 45k. How is it in comparison to other cheap brands like VU, HiSense, Toshiba etc.

Last edited:
Zangestu, How is this samsung LED model made in vietnam? It will cost me around 45k. How is it in comparison to other cheap brands like VU, HiSense, Toshiba etc.
Samsung is generally a safe bet but picture quality might be similar to good cheap TVs at best, like Vu or HiSense but at a higher price & without Dolby Vision certification. I won't be too surprised if Samsung is actually a bit inferior to those though. I'm sure it doesn't have as low brightness as cheap/old Mi 4K TVs.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
What is your requirement ?
If it is ELED panel then don't buy it. Look for DLED panels only if you want those beautiful colors with Deep Black.
Get the HiSense model instead. Check if their service center is available in your city first.

HiSense has good sound than Vu 4K TV. But the WCG is better in Vu (Sad that its not available online now)

Last edited:

Dr. House

No Regrets
What is your requirement ?
If it is ELED panel then don't buy it. Look for DLED panels only if you want those beautiful colors with Deep Black.
Get the HiSense model instead. Check if their service center is available in your city first.

HiSense has good sound than Vu 4K TV. But the WCG is better in Vu (Sad that its not available online now)
It's a 2020 model by Samsung recently and it shows DLED backlit also it has MEMC (Auto motion Plus).
My requirement is to watch action films, sports and play games on playstation 5 on it. I don't care about inbuilt speakers much as I have a Sony 5.1 home theatre to connect with. No TV can give that thud and bass in their inbuilt speakers as home theatres do.
I get to know from HiFi vision forum that HiSense 55A71F is a crap TV and they suggested me to stay away and get Samsung, Toshiba U79 or U80 instead. Also HiSense is unavailable in my city in offline as well as online. Also I get to know VU will be available from big billion days sale.

Last edited:

Dr. House

No Regrets
Samsung is generally a safe bet but picture quality might be similar to good cheap TVs at best, like Vu or HiSense but at a higher price & without Dolby Vision certification. I won't be too surprised if Samsung is actually a bit inferior to those though. I'm sure it doesn't have as low brightness as cheap/old Mi 4K TVs.
Please don't assume and suggest brother, it is a very new model and have many features. VU, Toshiba, HiSense, TCL doesn't even offer MEMC (Auto Motion Plus/Motion Flow) that brands like Samsung and Sony offers with more price. Playing that much in a big TV and not having that is such a bummer. Even OnePlus Q series having MEMC support. It is must to watch sports, actions and gaming.

Please don't assume and suggest brother, it is a very new model and have many features. VU, Toshiba, HiSense, TCL doesn't even offer MEMC (Auto Motion Plus/Motion Flow) that brands like Samsung and Sony offers with more price. Playing that much in a big TV and not having that is such a bummer. Even OnePlus Q series having MEMC support. It is must to watch sports, actions and gaming.
MEMC is not a deal-breaker IMO & many budget TVs don't do a good job at that interpolation.

I'm not assuming randomly, just making an educated guess. There is a very small chance that the budget Samsung is better than best cheap TVs because Samsung is a big company & that itself increases the cost.

See Samsung phones vs Chinese phones. Even Samsung's online-only M series barely competes with its Chinese competitors, A series is an absolute bad value (because it is available locally & thus increased price).

Dr. House

No Regrets
MEMC is not a deal-breaker IMO & many budget TVs don't do a good job at that interpolation.

I'm not assuming randomly, just making an educated guess. There is a very small chance that the budget Samsung is better than best cheap TVs because Samsung is a big company & that itself increases the cost.

See Samsung phones vs Chinese phones. Even Samsung's online-only M series barely competes with its Chinese competitors, A series is an absolute bad value (because it is available locally & thus increased price).
I had bad experience with Samsung LED TV back in 2011 model since then I didn't buy anything of Samsung. MEMC is a big thing for a person whose purpose is for PS5, sports and action films for sure. A big 55" TV without MEMC might be good for a office lobby or public place. Samsung is trying so hard to get in the new chinese evolving market unlike Sony that still sells the most expensive one. Recently I have seen Samsung Joy series and other cheaper range Samsung TVs and they are very pathetic in terms of contrast and colour. I never imaged something like Samsung will sell for small price tag. I can't find reviews for this new model. If it has decent 350nit brightness then I can buy.
People are suggesting for Samsung get The frame 55" TV and that is 85k (10% lesser for me) as it has amazing QLED 120Hz panel for the cheapest price in India. Though it doesn't have dolby vision. But no other brand can give 120Hz in this range AFAIK.
In terms of phone I don't even use android from a long so I have no idea for that. I trust only iPhones.

I had bad experience with Samsung LED TV back in 2011 model since then I didn't buy anything of Samsung. MEMC is a big thing for a person whose purpose is for PS5, sports and action films for sure. A big 55" TV without MEMC might be good for a office lobby or public place. Samsung is trying so hard to get in the new chinese evolving market unlike Sony that still sells the most expensive one. Recently I have seen Samsung Joy series and other cheaper range Samsung TVs and they are very pathetic in terms of contrast and colour. I never imaged something like Samsung will sell for small price tag. I can't find reviews for this new model. If it has decent 350nit brightness then I can buy.
People are suggesting for Samsung get The frame 55" TV and that is 85k (10% lesser for me) as it has amazing QLED 120Hz panel for the cheapest price in India. Though it doesn't have dolby vision. But no other brand can give 120Hz in this range AFAIK.
In terms of phone I don't even use android from a long so I have no idea for that. I trust only iPhones.
I think MEMC is bad for gaming because it introduces input lag (search online for more info, but I read this somewhere). Already these budget TVs have big input lag compared to much cheaper gaming monitors. MEMC is best used while watching sports from what I know.

Again, it's your choice if you prioritize MEMC, I don't, based on my experience (it was a never a priority when that Panasonic TV was bought last year, it just had a better panel than competition, LG UM7300, that I found locally).

Dr. House

No Regrets
I think MEMC is bad for gaming because it introduces input lag (search online for more info, but I read this somewhere). Already these budget TVs have big input lag compared to much cheaper gaming monitors. MEMC is best used while watching sports from what I know.

Again, it's your choice if you prioritize MEMC, I don't, based on my experience (it was a never a priority when that Panasonic TV was bought last year, it just had a better panel than competition, LG UM7300, that I found locally).
Ok! I get to know that. But I 120Hz panel is really a big thing for gaming I had experience. What are the cheapest TVs 50-55" inch with 120Hz?

Top Bottom