9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration? MI A1
10. Any other info that you want to share? NA

Considering of purchasing MI A1.

Any other option in the same range?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Btw how is MI A1?

If I finalize it.
I used it for 2 weeks as my secondary phone and TBH, it didn't felt like a downgrade from Oneplus 3 (except for camera and amoled screen obviously).
Bokeh mode on back cam works as intended in good lighting conditions. Sound output from 3.5mm jack is probably the best in the budget.

OP
bad_till_bones

bad_till_bones

Ðèåd Måñ Wå£KîÑG
I used it for 2 weeks as my secondary phone and TBH, it didn't felt like a downgrade from Oneplus 3 (except for camera and amoled screen obviously).
Bokeh mode on back cam works as intended in good lighting conditions. Sound output from 3.5mm jack is probably the best in the budget.

BTW Redmi Note 4 and A1, which one you would suggest?

gifboy

Broken In
BTW Redmi Note 4 and A1, which one you would suggest?
I am using the MiA1 & that's a great device for the price.

The issue i am facing is on camera. the auto-focus sucks & video can't be done with manual mode. But for photos not that bad....

if we talk about features it's a great phone. You have face unlock (it's 2D.) & one of the great thing is Stock Android.

gifboy

Broken In
Can you make a brief camera review ? How does it perform with indoor lighting ? Colours are captured realistically ?

for sure.

I am currently writing a detailed review about the MiA1 on my blog.

I will also make a separate camera review here for your understanding in couple of day.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I have already started the detailed review for this on my blog which go live in couple of day...

I will also share an separate camera review here for your better understanding ....

for sure.

I am currently writing a detailed review about the MiA1 on my blog.

I will also make a separate camera review here for your understanding in couple of day.
It has been detected that these two accounts belong to same person. Choose which one of these you would keep using for the forum. Other one would be deleted.

gifboy

Broken In
It has been detected that these two accounts belong to same person. Choose which one of these you would keep using for the forum. Other one would be deleted.
Yes i have already reported this when i found this. I will be using my GifBoy profile not the Chiranjeevi once.

gifboy

Broken In
Can you make a brief camera review ? How does it perform with indoor lighting ? Colours are captured realistically ?
THE REAR CAMERA(S):
The Camera is kinda like a Mixed Bag here. While launching this phone in India, Xiaomi was hyping the Camera a lot and it was literally aimed to become the second USP after the Stock Android Software experience. So, we were really expecting the Camera to be pretty decent but, it didn’t stand up on our expectations. Let’s start with the Daylight Shots & we’ll move to the Indoor shots after that.

In daylight, the Camera performs well where the Sunlight is directly hitting the Subject but moving under shadows makes the image softer & the Subject start to lose sharpness & details. The colors are natural though but, they look a little bit washed out. So, in general the Camera lacks sharpness & photos also tend to be a bit underexposed. It’s not very bad or something but, it doesn’t reach up-to the expectations & hype.

*geeksnipper.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/IMG_20171111_134152-1-1024x768.jpg
*geeksnipper.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/IMG_20171112_095311-1-1024x768.jpg

Talking about the portrait mode, the camera does a pretty good job with it, but only if the object is 2.5 meter away. But, when we take photos away from 2.5 meter the portrait mode does not do a great job. I found the Bokeh to be pretty hit or miss. Sometimes there are noticeable Edge Defects & Background area misses to be found. So, we found the Software to be kinda immature to handle Portrait Shots well. Specially, if the subject was even a little bit far away from that 2.5 mm range, it keeps missing the subject randomly. The dynamic Range is ok but, it also could have been a lot better.

The manual mode of the camera is quite decent as compared to the price, but there are other brands that gives much better manual mode than this. The image processing in the other hand seems to be quick compared to some competitors, probably the stock Android is helping to push in this area.

*geeksnipper.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/IMG_20171113_171105_HHT-2-1024x768.jpg

In Indoor lighting conditions the pictures are softer as expected & you’ll see some noticeable noise in those photos. We thought it’ll loose most of the details as well & it does loose some of it. But, it isn’t as bad as much we assumed seeing the Daylight images. In low light most of the budget devices start to loose a lot of quality & show noticeable noise levels. So, this price point, the Low-light performance of the Mi A1 is just as you’d expect. Maybe they could have at least used a f-2.0 lens as that would have at least improve the low light performance a bit more and it does just as expected in Indoor Lighting conditions.

THE FRONT CAMERA:
The 5 MP Front facing Camera is Good & can take decent Selfies in both Indoor & outdoor conditions. Just like the Rear facing Camera, the Front facing Camera does loose some of the details & the selfies are not very sharp as well. But, unlike the Rear Main shooter this Camera has an aperture of f-2.0. So, that aperture translates to slightly better Low-light selfies that we expected.

*geeksnipper.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/IMG_20171113_172040-768x1024.jpg

So, overall This Camera is a decent one. But, it doesn’t lived fully to our expectations & we think Xiaomi could have done better but, in some parts they’ve compromised some major aspects of the Camera. So, we expected this phone to perform a bit better from where Xioami was hyping it.

How’s The Camera For Video:

If you are looking for video shooting, then i would suggest not to go for this smartphone. There are few problems that actually pull down the video performance of the smartphone.

First thing first. Auto-Focus is something that needs a huge improvement. While talking video the camera sensor does not focus on the right object. While shooting the phone does not support “tap to focus“, which is a huge disappointment for someone who is into videos. What’s more disappointing here is the absence of manual-mode for video shooting. I mostly prefer video shooting on manual mode. Even the Zenfone 3 Max 5.5 inch which we reviewed earlier, supports Manual Mode for Video, which was able to offer better controls over Video.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
A few doubts

1. Does it support HDR ?

2. How is auto focus in photo mode ?

3. Touch to focus available in photo mode ?

4. What's the maximum resolution it supports ( photo and video ) ?

5. 4k video recording possible ?.

6. Can we disable beautification ?

Thanks.

gifboy

Broken In

1. Does it support HDR ? - no

2. How is auto focus in photo mode ?- this one has the worst auto focus. Earlier I have been using Zenfone 3 which has an amazing auto focus.

3. Touch to focus available in photo mode ? Touch to focus on photo model is there, but auto focus is pathetic

4. What's the maximum resolution it supports ( photo and video ) ? Photo I will have to check for video it supports 1080 & 4k at 30fps

5. 4k video recording possible ?. Yes at 30fps

6. Can we disable beautification ? No.

Top Bottom