Membrane vs Mechanical keyboard

nac

Aspiring Novelist
The one I am using right now is an el cheapo generic keyboard probably bought for sub 500/-. Before this one, I used Samsung Pleomax. Samsung gone kaput when I tried to clean and the current one is serving me for about 7yrs. This one is too flimsy and have broken in two places, again that was while cleaning, but functionally okay. Some keys are not registering well lately. So I have been thinking of getting a new one for quite sometime now. Though the thought of getting a new one have come before, I chose to stick with the current keyboard. Infact even now in back of my head thinking of sticking with the current one.

This keyboard's main and only use is generic home/office usage. NO GAMING.
Looking for wired keyboard USB/PS2, full size keyboard.

I have heard Mechanical keyboard being good, but the price makes me think "if I actually need that one".
If I am going for mechanical, I wouldn't spend a lot and settle with the cheapest ones like
Cosmic Byte CB-GK-27 Vanth Mechanical Keyboard with Outemu Blue Switches, No warranty info
Cosmic Byte CB-GK-28 Vanth Mechanical Keyboard with Outemu Red Switches, No warranty info or
any under these price range.

Is it worth going for these? or Instead I should settle for good membrane keyboard?

The above mechanical keyboard costs about 1.5k. This budget is only if I am going for mechanical keyboard. If those mechanical keyboards are not worth going for, I would go with membrane and for that I would spend ~500 or max 1000/- if it's semi mechanical (don't know what that is and sounds like better in terms of typing experience and longevity) and/or backlit membrane keyboard. Though I don't fancy backlit, it may come it handy and something different from the ones I have used before.

Redgear Blaze 3 Backlit KB with Aluminium body, 1yr warranty
HP K300 Backlit Membrane, 3yrs warranty

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I have been using a mechanical keyboard for a long time now and I personally prefer it over the membrane keyboard anyday. Though if you are not very experienced with mechanical keyboards I'd suggest trying before buying if you can since different types of switches have different "feel" about them and have different sounds.

I'd suggest taking a look at some youtube videos on how the keys sound and understand how they feel and then buy a keyboard that you think matches your requirements best.

Reactions: nac
Top Bottom