Meltdown & Spectre patch Discussion

billubakra

Conversation Architect
For Spectre fix please share the step by step process for Intel i5 processor, which mobo is it having HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-ab522tx Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support and R1600 with Asus Prime B350+

OP
bssunilreddy

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
For Spectre fix please share the step by step process for Intel i5 processor, which mobo is it having HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-ab522tx Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support and R1600 with Asus Prime B350+
You need to update the Windows 10 OS as and when needed for protection against Meltdown or Spectre Vulnerabilities:HPSBHF03573 rev. 11 - Side-Channel Analysis Method | HP® Customer Support

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
For laptop HP should release bios update,for mobo Asus should release bios update.If they don't release it then you can install MS spectre update when it is made available through windows update.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
You need to update the Windows 10 OS as and when needed for protection against Meltdown or Spectre Vulnerabilities:HPSBHF03573 rev. 11 - Side-Channel Analysis Method | HP® Customer Support
For laptop HP should release bios update,for mobo Asus should release bios update.If they don't release it then you can install MS spectre update when it is made available through windows update.

Windows update will be downloaded automatically or is there a need to do it manually?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depends on MS.Applying spectre patch on 4th gen & older intel processors may significantly reduces system performance which many people may not like so MS may make this update optional.

quicky008

Technomancer
If you are on windows 10,it will be downloaded automatically,provided of course the update service is enabled.

If for some reason it doesn't get downloaded by itself,you can google the specific update that contains the necessary fixes and patches and then download and install it manually from windows update catalog-this is what i did for installing the update that contained the fix for meltdown as windows update service was taking too long to download it automatically on my system.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Meltdown patch was always included as auto update on win 10 & on win 7/8.1 it came bundled with monthly security update meaning it can't be skipped unless one decides to not update anymore(if you skip a month update then it automatically adds to next month update & so on).

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Depends on MS.Applying spectre patch on 4th gen & older intel processors may significantly reduces system performance which many people may not like so MS may make this update optional.
When is this update coming out? Also will it effect performance in systems with i5 and 1600?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your laptop i5 is 6th gen I think so it shouldn't be an issue & for Ryzen processors also it should not be of any concern as AMD processors were already harder to exploit using spectre.No idea about release date but it should be on major tech news channels the day MS release these updates(every month 2nd tuesday is usually the monthly patch release day for win 7/8.1 so if MS is planning on releasing this month then it should be around that time).

OP
bssunilreddy

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I download both Spectre & Meltdown Windows 10 Updates and MSI Bios Updates as well and updated them.

*i.imgur.com/Y66FuZQ.png

Top Bottom