Medium-end PC configuration: need advice

rahullak

Right off the assembly line
Hi All!

I'm looking at a particular config. Would like to know if it is good and is compatible. The requirement is for a system that will not be outmoded in 5 years, but not going to be used for gaming. Alternative suggestions are also welcome. Budget is Rs. 15000 (without monitor, keyboard, mouse, optical drive, HDD)

Asus M5A78L-M LX V2 Motherboard. Rs. 4,080 (Parallel Port is a must!)

AMD FX4300. Rs. 6,300

Deepcool Gamma Archer CPU Cooler 120 mm Universal CPU Cooler (PC) Rs. 500

Kingston Memory - 4GB Module - DDR3 1866MHz. Rs. 2,450

Zebronics 450W SMPS. Rs. 500

Total: Rs. 14,080

TIA!

Rahul

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
please fill this up *www.digit.in/forum/pc-components-c...new-pc-help-answer-these-questions-first.html

OP
R

rahullak

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Windows 10, Office 2013, Java based applications, online share trading, games like Star Trek 2013, Formula 1 2013, Company of Heroes, World of Warcraft.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Overall budget is Rs. 15,000. That is a hard limit.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: No HDD.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No monitor. 17" Samsung CRT

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: HDD, Monitor, Keyboard+mouse, optical drive

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: In the next 3 months.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Assembler.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: I live in Chennai. Components would be bought from Ritchie street. No online shopping.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Parallel port is a must, since I need to use a hardware dongle. Quad core is preferred. Also, please suggest alternative configurations that are compatible and within the overall budget.

deathblade

death,destruction and dev
Intel i3 4150-₹7500
Gigabyte h81 s1-₹3400.
Kingston hyperX blue 4GB-₹2100.
Local cabinet-₹500
Antec bp300-₹1900
Total-₹15,400.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Thanks deathblade! Can I get a quad core intel for the same price range??

In order to get a Quad Core you need to increase your budget by another 7k.So here is your new config if you want an i5 in it.OK.

Intel Core i5 4440 -12500,
Gigabyte H81M-S1 -3500,
Kingston HyperX Fury 4GB 1600Mhz -2100,
Zebronics SPY 2-1100,
Antec VP450P -2500.
TOTAL -21700.

OP
R

rahullak

Thanks! I'll consider it.

I didn't realize there would be such a huge difference in price between Intel and AMD.

Any comments on the configuration that I proposed above? Will it work?

deathblade

death,destruction and dev
Single core performance of AMD FX4300 is too weak.. So it is not at all recommended... If you are so fixed on getting a quad core processor and can't increase ur budget then try AMD FX6300(Hexacore)... The Intel core i3 is more than enuf for ur needs

OP
R

rahullak

So, assuming I take the i3.... the Gigabyte h81 s1, doesn't appear to have a parallel port. Am I mistaken?

- - - Updated - - -

Can I replace with Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2?

Top Bottom