Macbook pro 2018 vs macbook pro 2019

Nerevarine

Incarnate
hdd is fine, unless you tend to drop things.
Get a normal caviar blue and use a orico usb type c enclosure. later you can upgrade to ssd if you wish using same enclosure.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
All noted. Any recommendations for external hdds which uses usb c? Do most of you use ssd or hdd?
You can get a USB C to USB 3.0 micro-b adapter cable and use it with any external drive. How did I found this out? I got a type-c hub which uses same cable and all external HDDs which I tried worked, even on my phones.
My laptop is all SSD but I keep media and game/os/software installers in HDDs.
hdd is fine, unless you tend to drop things.
Sorry for OT: I thought about getting a cheap 240GB ssd to use as an internal 2.5" torrent drive and it would survive 7-8 years easily even with heavy 10 TB/year write (which is too high). Or should I just use my 660p for it?
Also, would installing linux on same nvme drive but on a separate partition disturb existing windows installation? I don't remember about the grub stuff. :oops:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Also, would installing linux on same nvme drive but on a separate partition disturb existing windows installation? I don't remember about grub stuff.

@Desmond David might answer this better, but I think No. If Its configured properly, Linux wouldnt touch your existing windows installation.

I thought about getting a cheap 240GB ssd to use as an internal 2.5" torrent drive and it would survive 7-8 years easily even with heavy 10 TB/year write (which is too high). Or should I just use my 660p for it?

This is actually a good idea but why not use a regular HDD ? Torrents dont need fast read writes, if you are concerned about reliability then get a slower RPM drive.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
*www.amazon.in/ORICO-Transparent-US...37ADDWJHCH5&psc=1&refRID=W6QG2FD5V37ADDWJHCH5

US $1.99 |0.2M 1M USB3.1 Type C to USB 3.0 Micro B 10Pin Cable 5Gbps Data Connector Adapter For Hard Drive Smartphone PC OTG C Type PHONE-in Data Cables from Consumer Electronics on AliExpress

Buy these two and you are set.. Alternately, you can buy the type c enclosure (slightly costly) and a type c to type c cable. REMEMBER TO SEE Reviews for cable as some sellers in aliexpress sell usb 2.0 cable and market them as 3.0.

You wont find internal 2.5 inch hdd with capacity 2tb + for cheap. So it would be more economical to buy external hdd 2 tb + directly.

So calculate your requirements and make a decision

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Also, would installing linux on same nvme drive but on a separate partition disturb existing windows installation? I don't remember about grub stuff.

@Desmond David might answer this better, but I think No. If Its configured properly, Linux wouldnt touch your existing windows installation.
It won't but that is only if your bootloader is set up correctly. All linux distros do this automatically these days. However, you will still require an EFI partition where the linux distro will put the bootloader. The EFI partition will be automatically created by windows when installing so normally you don't have to create one manually.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is actually a good idea but why not use a regular HDD ? Torrents dont need fast read writes, if you are concerned about reliability then get a slower RPM drive.
Torrents need good random 4k read/writes which is why a torrent downloading at 4MB/s can cause a typical hdd to crawl while a download manager downloading at 6MB/s works fine.

@SaiyanGoku It is only writes which matters for torrents when using a ssd so only downloading torrents results in write endurance of ssd getting used. Just saw the successor to kingston A400 on amazon *www.amazon.in/dp/B07KCGPRMQ/

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
SSD won't consume higher battery or cause more vibrations than fans. I use an old hdd for torrent but I think it might die (hearing faint clicking noise).
It won't but that is only if your bootloader is set up correctly. All linux distros do this automatically these days. However, you will still require an EFI partition where the linux distro will put the bootloader. The EFI partition will be automatically created by windows when installing so normally you don't have to create one manually.
Got it. Would keep running it on VM for now and then when I'm ready to learn/practice android dev would install it on a separate partition.
@SaiyanGoku It is only writes which matters for torrents when using a ssd so only downloading torrents results in write endurance of ssd getting used. Just saw the successor to kingston A400 on amazon *www.amazon.in/dp/B07KCGPRMQ/
I would never reach even 100 TB writes in 5 years (have 400 TB total). I think that's a QLC drive.

OP
C

chillz88

Broken In
Got my macbook. Used it. The next day it won't even start.. Lol. Now its a expensive paperweight. Hopefully I can give to the authorised Indian apple service for fixing it.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Wow thats unfortunate, did you buy it from an authorized place ? if you bought it from amazon, you are eligible for FULL refund while keeping the paperweight..

OP
C

chillz88

Broken In
Wow thats unfortunate, did you buy it from an authorized place ? if you bought it from amazon, you are eligible for FULL refund while keeping the paperweight..

Yeah I did but from Bahrain. I asked the Indian service center for replacement and they said they wont replace since its from another country but can fix it.

I have to find some way to get it back to Bahrain for replacement.. I dont know what went wrong with it or maybe just so unlucky enough to get a dud.

OP
C

chillz88

Broken In
Are they charging you for repairing it ?

No they said they said they will check it and maybe open it up if it doesn't boot up. I don't want my new expensive laptop to be opened up. I rather have a replacement. I have to take it to them by Monday or send my laptop back with another person back to Bahrain to be checked up and replaced.

OP
C

chillz88

Broken In
I returned it back and the sales person couldnt turn it on unless he used a separate charger. Afterwards he used my same charger and it worked. He then send it to the technician who made the report after two days saying that there is no problem with the laptop when he checked it.

Should i push for a replacement or would it be alright? Any suggestions?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Do you want to take risk with it or just want peace of mind? If it is the latter, push for a full refund and get a non-Apple laptop. It hasn't been more than a month and you already are making trips to service center.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
I returned it back and the sales person couldnt turn it on unless he used a separate charger. Afterwards he used my same charger and it worked. He then send it to the technician who made the report after two days saying that there is no problem with the laptop when he checked it.

Get a replacement i would suggest for peace of mind
Do you want to take risk with it or just want peace of mind? If it is the latter, push for a full refund and get a non-Apple laptop. It hasn't been more than a month and you already are making trips to service center.
Macbooks are way better than windows for casual work I wont suggest windows laptop if you have budget.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Windows laptops in same budget don't die randomly or have keyboard issues because the OEM decided to cheap out on components.
True but chances of being a satisfied mac user is much more than chances of being a satisfied windows user judging by online comments & some real life experience.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
Windows laptops in same budget don't die randomly or have keyboard issues because the OEM decided to cheap out on components.

Windows has bad optimisation compared to a mac so for regular user i wont suggest windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom