Macbook pro 2018 vs macbook pro 2019

chillz88

Broken In
My uncle has someone working in a an apple related or selling store in Bahrain and he wants to buy me an apple laptop(lucky me). I have never used apple anything. But since I got an offer, who would tell him no. His options on his friends store are only the new macbook air 2019 or macbook pro 2018. Both of the are new and unopened and 13'. I do have a few questions to others about it tho as I haven't used an apple laptop before.

1)I only do docs, music, movies, Netflix and maybe some photo editing. I think new 2019 air would be enough but since i get a choice, 2018 pro won't be bad for future proofing, right? Both are only 8gb ram. Would that be enough? I would like a lag free experience and I want it to last long(lots of years) as I will be going to Germany for studies after a couple of months and maybe work there.

2)Both of them are 256 GB options. Maybe i should buy some cloud options. Is it enough? Maybe I can get an ext drive and 256 would be enough to write docs and store other small things.

3) I don't like apple phones because I like to tinker with my phones. So android all the way. Would it be that bad to use an android phone with a macbook? Could I use alternative apps to calendar, cloud and syncing?

Kindly help me and advise.
Thank you
Don

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Questionnaire for laptop/notebook purchase

PS: Don't get the air models and the 2019 16" pro is the one with better keyboard and fewer hardware issues.
8 GB is bare minimum now and 256GB storage is unacceptable.

OP
C

chillz88

Broken In
Questionnaire for laptop/notebook purchase

PS: Don't get the air models and the 2019 16" pro is the one with better keyboard and fewer hardware issues.
8 GB is bare minimum now and 256GB storage is unacceptable.

Apologies for the posting at the wrong thread maybe post in that thread to get replies?

I don't know if i can tell him to get the laptop from another place as its a present. Anyone here who uses a 256gb macbook?

Anyone else with other suggestions?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also for cloud storage buy MS Office 365 home pack in India itself from amazon as it gives 6TB(1TB per user account & 6 user accounts) onedrive storage for as low as Rs.3.6k/year during some sales(biggest being the oct month great Indian shopping sale).

P.S. just checked its price,currently it is available for 3970 & with 10% off using sbi card you can get it for 3573(3374 if you buy via sbi yono app(must add to cart & finish the transaction within yono app,sbi bank account is must to use yono) for extra 5% cashback of 198 & assuming you will get it after 90 days,it is sbi after all so no guarantees).

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Apologies for the posting at the wrong thread maybe post in that thread to get replies?

I don't know if i can tell him to get the laptop from another place as its a present.
It is better to have no present instead of one which you'd start hating later because of hardware and/or software issues.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
If you go full on cloud, (Netflix, etc), then Macbook 500GB is enough (Even 256 GB is enough). You can store non-important files in a secondary HDD (get appropriate type c cable for it though).
In terms of software stability and OS responsiveness, its far ahead of Windows, even after many years when a windows laptop would start lagging and junk files accumulated everywhere... I can never go back to Windows for work purposes, trying to move to linux but its been bumpy.

Not everyone requires a giganthicc piece of slab to carry around for simple tasks.. Either get a macbook, or the dell xps and install linux

But know this, you are spending so much on a laptop, apple's ecosystem hates piracy and do not think you can just download and install photoshop just like someone would on windows..

OP
C

chillz88

Broken In
If you go full on cloud, (Netflix, etc), then Macbook 500GB is enough (Even 256 GB is enough). You can store non-important files in a secondary HDD (get appropriate type c cable for it though).
In terms of software stability and OS responsiveness, its far ahead of Windows, even after many years when a windows laptop would start lagging and junk files accumulated everywhere... I can never go back to Windows for work purposes, trying to move to linux but its been bumpy.

Not everyone requires a giganthicc piece of slab to carry around for simple tasks.. Either get a macbook, or the dell xps and install linux

But know this, you are spending so much on a laptop, apple's ecosystem hates piracy and do not think you can just download and install photoshop just like someone would on windows..

The place where I am going to(Germany) is very strict on piracy. They even hold you up at the airport if they see torrent apps on it. So i wouldnt be able to download anything that way. So can't download apps that way anymore.
I want this laptop to last because I will be stuck in Germany and won't have much to live on for at least two years. So I want this laptop to last long as my personal laptop and I have to look up cloud and other apps that work with android. I hate apple phones cos i like to tinker with my phones,but for my laptop, I want it to always work and don't want to tinker with it at all.

Since syncing with my android phones won't work with native apps, would Google photos, drop box, Google calendar be still as good. Are you using an android phone?

I am planning to buy a 1tb ssd too and a hub or adapter too. Any recommendations?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
What do you mean by "syncing with my phone won't work" ?

You can access your phone from the MacBook if you install android file transfer app.

And most cloud providers have app for Mac OS ?

Yes I am using an Android phone. Get a decent hub, can't recommend any because I didn't actively look after I got mine but look for something that has atleast 2 USB 3.0 port, a SD card reader and HDMI 2.0.

Keep the laptop keyboard dust free, reading up reports online, many have stated keyboard switches can die if dust gets inside.

OP
C

chillz88

Broken In
I have heard you can respond to messages and phone calls. Maybe use airdroid but can't reply through those?

Wanted to know what cloud you use for your photos and data storage and calendar.

I heard about the potential keyboard issues amd will keep it dust free. Would buy a 2tb hdd too. Looking also to buy a hub that attaches to the side of the laptop to minimize wires. Hope they would be stable enough. Thanks for the help.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I have heard you can respond to messages and phone calls. Maybe use airdroid but can't reply through those?

Wanted to know what cloud you use for your photos and data storage and calendar.

I heard about the potential keyboard issues amd will keep it dust free. Would buy a 2tb hdd too. Looking also to buy a hub that attaches to the side of the laptop to minimize wires. Hope they would be stable enough. Thanks for the help.
No I dont use any of these, so dont know about it much
I use google drive mostly. If possible get a wired hub instead of one that attaches to the side. Side hubs take 2 usb type c slots and they get pretty loose quickly. Get a hub with a protruding wire, they will work much longer.

OP
C

chillz88

Broken In
Please don't get 2018 models or anything with butterfly switches. They are plagued with crap keyboard issue.

I have heard about that too but he gave me these options..

I have heard that you can buy it from the USA with more customizations and much lesser price. Are there any sites which uses virtual addresses with which you can ship a macbook from usa to India?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I have heard about that too but he gave me these options..

I have heard that you can buy it from the USA with more customizations and much lesser price. Are there any sites which uses virtual addresses with which you can ship a macbook from usa to India?
Additional customs / import duty would make the lower price pointless.

OP
C

chillz88

Broken In
Bought a 256 GB 2019 macbook pro 13 inch one in Bahrain for 1.22L with a free energizer usb 7 in 1 adapter too. . The only con would be smaller Arabic alphabets too on the keys. Now I have to bring it from the middle east to India through my uncle who is coming to India in two days.

Anyone know if i have to open it first there and then bring it in luggage or hand luggage?

Do you guys recommend any good 1tb ssds, usb c pen drives?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Bought a 256 GB 2019 macbook pro 13 inch one in Bahrain for 1.22L
I hope that has 2.4GHz i5 8279U instead of weaker 1.4GHz i5 8257U
Processor Comparison - Head 2 Head
Graphics Card Comparison - Head 2 Head
Do you guys recommend any good 1tb ssds,
I would've bought a normal ssd (sata or m.2 nvme depending on the speed requirements) with enclosure instead.

Last edited:

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Bought a 256 GB 2019 macbook pro 13 inch one in Bahrain for 1.22L with a free energizer usb 7 in 1 adapter too. . The only con would be smaller Arabic alphabets too on the keys. Now I have to bring it from the middle east to India through my uncle who is coming to India in two days.

Anyone know if i have to open it first there and then bring it in luggage or hand luggage?

Do you guys recommend any good 1tb ssds, usb c pen drives?
That price is monstrous for Apple premium. Don't ever pack any electronic/precious item in Checkin/Main Luggage. Use Hand bag/Carry Bag and keep it with you. You never know where it will get stolen.

Top Bottom