Mac OS X vs Windows 7

IronCruz

ICE COOOOL!!!
Hey guys I posted this thread just for my knowledge. Windows OS is widely used in the world. But recently I got to know that Mac OS are also not behind. Almost all games and softwares can run in windows. But is it same in Mac?

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Why only about Mac OS X and Windows? Why are you ignoring Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD, Darwin, among others. Particularly why not Linux? :|

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Operating System comparison...

Gaming: Windows > Mac OS X

Everything else: Mac OS X > Windows

OP
IronCruz

IronCruz

ICE COOOOL!!!
Why only about Mac OS X and Windows? Why are you ignoring Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD, Darwin, among others. Particularly why not Linux? :|

Actually im new to Mac. I know something about Linux. And the rest of OS are totally new for me. You can say that im a Noob. I would love to hear features and advantages and disadvantages of Mac over Windows.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
The only disadvantage of Mac OS X over Windows is gaming. Nothing else. However, Apple's hardware is expensive but I think this thread is intended for comparing both he Operating Systems in general.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
We are not discussing Linux here. :p
Yeah only discuss corporate toys here :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

Linux has got same disadvantage.. directx saves MS !!
No offense :)
To be fair Linux also has disadvantage also of the fact that big corporates like Adobe don't port their applications to Linux. :( As for gaming, Mac OS X now also has Steam and some Source powered games, which sadly is not the case in Linux (I hope Phoronix is right though :p )

jayantr7

In the zone
IMO Windows 7 is better if you want to go to Software/Gaming field.I just like Mac OS X because of its Security and Visuals and some other stuffs.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
I think mac is secure only because its market share is low, so people are not interested in making viruses for the platform. The day its market share crosses 20-25% of total computers, it will start getting its own share of virus and malware.
I tried installing mac on a pc once, didn't succeed. Can't say what went wrong, but I'm yet to use mac os.
Linux is still not very friendly for newbies. I had to use tutorials to install programs. Connecting to dataone took my brother around half an hour.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Are by any chance any one is asserting Mac OS X is NOT secure and has more security problems than Windows? :|
I think mac is secure only because its market share is low, so people are not interested in making viruses for the platform. The day its market share crosses 20-25% of total computers, it will start getting its own share of virus and malware.
Windows security has been flawed from the core. *nix based OSes are actually designed from the ground up to be secure. If the implementation of that *nix security has been poorly done, it won't take much effort to fix that as compared to fixing "flawed from the core" security of MS Windows.
I tried installing mac on a pc once, didn't succeed. Can't say what went wrong, but I'm yet to use mac os.
:lol: Mac OS X is NOT supposed to run on a "PC". :rolleyes:
Linux is still not very friendly for newbies. I had to use tutorials to install programs. Connecting to dataone took my brother around half an hour.
Perhaps you didn't keep your windows mindset at home before trying whichever distro you ended up trying.
In case you didn't notice BSNL provided software to run it in Windows but NOT for Linux. How can Linux be "not user friendly" in that regard.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Errr Spare him. He is just reflecting on the general perspective people have all around Mac. :)
He is absolutely correct. Mac OS X >> Windows in terms of security.

One doesn't judge "security" of an Operating System by some blah blab hacking tournament or bleh bleh internet article.

I think mac is secure only because its market share is low, so people are not interested in making viruses for the platform.

The day its market share crosses 20-25% of total computers, it will start getting its own share of virus and malware.
All the *nix based operating systems are 1000 times secure and less redundant than Windows.
You have used Windows for all your life and Linux for only few hours.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Are by any chance any one is asserting Mac OS X is NOT secure and has more security problems than Windows? :|
Nope, I'm not. MAC is more secure than windows, but by how much will only be known once it's market share rises. But yes, it can never be as insecure as windows, but it can't be invincible either.

:lol: Mac OS X is NOT supposed to run on a "PC". :rolleyes:
err... it was hackintosh which is made for running on PCs and there are youtube videos which show you the full installation process

Perhaps you didn't keep your windows mindset at home before trying whichever distro you ended up trying.
perhaps, coz I never intended to use it, was just trying

You have used Windows for all your life and Linux for only few hours.
yes that's true, although I did use it for a couple of weeks but there was a problem of drivers. My motherboard wasn't exactly supporting the Linux Distro (Suse & Mint). Internet speeds were like dial-up.
But you must agree that installing a program by opening a file and clicking next 4-5 times is easier than extracting and then running a few commands manually.

Top Bottom