Lost 4 modems this month to lightning strikes!

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I am aflicted by great bad luck now. In the last one month I have lost 4 modem-routers to lightning strike!!

Is there any way to mitigate this other than unplugging? Because we are multi-person household, it is almost impossible to ensure cables are unplugged each time some clouds appear. And 3 times it happened at night when everyone was asleep.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
DataShield In Line Surge Protector Network Phone Lines 2 Line RJ11 RJ45 (DTEL2) | Tripp Lite

*www.amazon.in/Tripp-Lite-DTEL2-Dataline-Protector/dp/B0000512ZX

This seems to be a product to protect your RJ11 ports. But make sure, your power plug is safe as well, i.e. have a stabilizer and a UPS powering your modem.
No way to test the functionality of the product, as "testing" requires a lightning strike.

Again read reviews, some are sayig they actually slow the internet.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I will look into them. Thank you.

The modem power light comes on but no wifi. Also internet LED lights up but does not connect. No LAN too. No power-on light show of all LEDs being on. Will I be able to get it replaced/serviced?

I had the modem connected to UPS earlier but because it needed the UPS to be always on in turn monitor also on, I made it direct. I will go back to UPS power.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Same thing happened to me also, my router got messed up by the modem. Surprisingly the modem itself still worked properly.
Also busted my PC's ethernet port also.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Sorry to hear that. It is now that I learn't not to make fun of uncles who run to pull all plugs the moment they see a flash in the sky!

: -)

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Surge protector helps but in this case fluctuation in electricity comes from the rj11 or cable modem docsis cable itself. Thats why even though i had stabilizer attached, it rekt my older system.
For best results
Stabilizer -> Surge Protector -> UPS -> Good PSU -> PC
That product i mentioned above -> RJ11 jack/RJ45 Jack -> Modem/Router -> PC ethernet

Top Bottom