Looking to switch to automation testing guidance required

ubergeek

Journeyman
Hi guys,
After wasting 4 years in a dead end manual testing job I want to switch to automation testing and quit the job in my current company as it is going no where. In my team they are already using selenium, so in order to make myself better at automation testing I started learning basics of Java from udacity(so far it has been great). I'll be taking up another course in selenium from udemy. So am I on the right track? What else do i need to do inorder to establish myself as automation tester?

archananair

Broken In
I think you should get certified in automation testing and then start career in it as it will help you do best in your career.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Hi guys,
After wasting 4 years in a dead end manual testing job I want to switch to automation testing and quit the job in my current company as it is going no where. In my team they are already using selenium, so in order to make myself better at automation testing I started learning basics of Java from udacity(so far it has been great). I'll be taking up another course in selenium from udemy. So am I on the right track? What else do i need to do inorder to establish myself as automation tester?

Hi, learning JAVA is good considering you want to stick to Selenium only.

Please consider 'ROBOT framework' for automation. Its open source, tutorials are freely available in internet. Installing configuring it might be tricky for you.
But, ROBOT comes with very good tutorial. scripting language (for custom functions) used is Python (u may find it easier than JAVA)

b/w if you are looking for automation certificates try SEED : Software Testing
I would recommend getting certification in HP UFT (this is still market champion tool in software automation)

OP
U

ubergeek

Journeyman
Hi, learning JAVA is good considering you want to stick to Selenium only.

Please consider 'ROBOT framework' for automation. Its open source, tutorials are freely available in internet. Installing configuring it might be tricky for you.
But, ROBOT comes with very good tutorial. scripting language (for custom functions) used is Python (u may find it easier than JAVA)

b/w if you are looking for automation certificates try SEED : Software Testing
I would recommend getting certification in HP UFT (this is still market champion tool in software automation)
Thanks man. I bought this 10$ course from udemy which covers almost all the aspects to f selenium. The instructor is also really good. I want to be capable of coding and modifying the framework. That udacity course is awesome and its going good. Being code averse for the past 4 years was my biggest mistake

ajayritik

Technomancer
I think you should get certified in automation testing and then start career in it as it will help you do best in your career.

Personally I'm not big fan of Certifications they will just get you to a certain point and nothing beyond.
Instead of that having a real hands on experience in any of the automation tools will help coz at the end of the day when you face an interview he would be asking technical questions regarding the automation tool in which you have expertise.
I would rather suggest you to take attend some training locally and see how much you can get out of it.

From A Fellow Manual Tester

OP
U

ubergeek

Journeyman
Personally I'm not big fan of Certifications they will just get you to a certain point and nothing beyond.
Instead of that having a real hands on experience in any of the automation tools will help coz at the end of the day when you face an interview he would be asking technical questions regarding the automation tool in which you have expertise.
I would rather suggest you to take attend some training locally and see how much you can get out of it.

From A Fellow Manual Tester
Trainers conducting training in my locale are full of bull ****. And also they cost a arm and a leg. Practical experience is far better than theoretical experience any day.I have already started to code and I'll be diving into selenium full fledged. Thanks for your input.

Pancul

Broken In
But do you really think that automation testing has scope in future? I do not know where you belong to but in Delhi/NCR there are no more jobs. And even if you get a job now whats the scope of automation testing after 5 years. It looks like a dead end to me.

OP
U

ubergeek

Journeyman
But do you really think that automation testing has scope in future? I do not know where you belong to but in Delhi/NCR there are no more jobs. And even if you get a job now whats the scope of automation testing after 5 years. It looks like a dead end to me.
Why do you say that? There are plenty of opening for Java selenium testers in chennai

Pancul

Broken In
May be in chennai but not in Delhi/NCR. Also I am more concerned about the future. Do you think automation testing will be in demand after 5 years?

OP
U

ubergeek

Journeyman
May be in chennai but not in Delhi/NCR. Also I am more concerned about the future. Do you think automation testing will be in demand after 5 years?
Well I don't know honestly but can you tell me why do you think that there will not be any scope for it

Pancul

Broken In
Technology is not permanent. Do you see C projects now a days anywhere? No, they are not anymore used. Similarly, after a while Java will also fade and new technology will emerge. So it is better to prepare yourself before its too late. Testing field has already got the saturation. There are no jobs for manual testing anywhere. Few jobs which are available in testing belong to automation and performance testing. By the time, they will fade away too. So its better to move towards new technology or new field rather than getting jobless after 5 years from now.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Technology is not permanent. Do you see C projects now a days anywhere? No, they are not anymore used. Similarly, after a while Java will also fade and new technology will emerge. So it is better to prepare yourself before its too late. Testing field has already got the saturation. There are no jobs for manual testing anywhere. Few jobs which are available in testing belong to automation and performance testing. By the time, they will fade away too. So its better to move towards new technology or new field rather than getting jobless after 5 years from now.

Before I answer I want to know if you are from testing background?

I'm in automation testing since past 8.5 years. Worked on HP UFT (previously QTP), ROBOT Framework (With selenium, sikuli, Database and SSH library).
And, I see demand for skilled resources in high always.

Let me tell you why we do Automation.

It conceives from Regression testing. When a product is developed it goes through different level of testing; starting from unit testing to QAT. Testing new features or hot fixes along with existing feature is important to client. They want to be sure that the new enhancement or the fix did not break any additional functionality.
To do this regression testing manual testing used to be done but a human being can't continue doing same thing for a long time, he/she would get bored, efficiency of catching bugs would lower and eventually prove unproductive.
A tool in that case has no such issue. Can run for hours, does not get intimidated with threats from developers and does not get bored.

With automation testing we turn old test cases in scripts and manual testers can continue doing new test cases.

Till the time a company would value to launch quality product in market, testing would live, so is automation testing. What might change is the tool to do that.
In the year 2006 we had WinRunner dominating the market for test automation. At the same time Mercury QTP came up and quickly impressed everyone.
In the year 2011 HP bought mercury and re-branded it as UFT.
Now, not only GUI but API also can be tested by automation (in my present project I'm doing API test automation)

Most of the time you would hear people and some developer humbugs claiming we don't need testing, our testers are avatars of God (of coding if there is). They are flawless. If someone is slightly aware of software engineering he/she won't ever claim the code is bug free.
What we say, there is always a bug, you might not have just found it out yet.

And, manual testing is not dead yet. Thats a hoax. Manual testing is an inseparable part of software development. They filter out the initial bugs and help in stabilizing the system. We, automation testers work with test cases that are signed off by them as stabilized. Manual and automation can't live without each other.

You might have heard about agile development. Even in that, testing is not ignored rather introduced in a very early stage in contrast with waterfall or V-model.

Hope I was able to shed some light on this matter.

kaz

right here
I was trained in Functional Testing and after my training I got into a life science project as a functional tester..Here the domain is decided irrespective of marks we score in the foundation training and is completely random..

Hardly 20 days in Manual Testing and I find it quite boring. I will try to get into something better as early as possible..Glad that I encountered this thread..

- - - Updated - - -

What you are trying to say is that after 5years development alone can help build a perfect product and there won't be any need of testing?

But what I have heard is that a few years back there were no testers and the demand for testers is going up daily..

Pancul

Broken In
[MENTION=870]rhitwick[/MENTION], Thanks for some descriptive knowledge on Automation testing. Just Fyi, I am QA lead in my company and have been handling automation testing projects from last 4 years. I did not get as many chances on different things like you got but I have been working with Selenium from last 4 years. And yeah, we have been using kanban model in our project. So, I know a lil about automation testing too.
[MENTION=121890]kaz[/MENTION], I am not saying that there will be no demand for testers in future but the gap between the demand and supply for testers is huge. There is already a huge supply of testers as compared to demand. Jobs are less in automation testing now a days. Companies are now hiring people who can blend themselves between manual and automation testing. Also packages in testing field are way less compared to other fields. Moreover, there is no organizational hierarchy in testing field. Once you become a lead in testing, there is nothing more that you can achieve. Companies prefer person from development background as the project manager and most of the companies have single manager for testing and development team. When I see myself after 5 years, I only imagine myself working as QA lead in some other company only. No growth prospects, professionally and financially. Even testers are always considered as step-son in any project. We used to call ourselves as backbone of any project but a tester knows well how he gets treated in the project.

You may find me as saturated and pessimist but I am only concerned about my future being in the testing field.

kaz

right here
Hmmm.. that's true, maybe I shall try to get out from this field now..But, don't know how :(

Top Bottom