Looking for good over-the-ear headphones with mid range soundstage

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I currently own a Philips SHM1900 headphones that's been serving me well for over 6 years. Now it's started to malfunction (losing sound in right speaker). So, I think it's time to retire these and get myself a new pair.

My requirements are as follows:

- These will be my daily driver headphones for the usual gaming, movies and music. So, comfort is needed, but can be compromised for audio quality.
- I am not a basshead, therefore I need something with good mid range soundstage that I can tweak with an equalizer to get the sound I like. Though I would still like for it to have that tight, punchy kind of bass if possible.
- Mic is not mandatory.
- The pads should not be pure foam or velvet but that plasticy stuff (don't know what it's called) so that it's easier to clean. Again, I can compromise on this for audio quality.
- Budget upto 5k INR, can stretch a bit if better options available.

Some of the headphones I have been looking at are:
Samson SR850
Audio-Technica ATH-M20x

Please advise.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check reviews here, they are usually more helpful than reviews on amazon.
*www.headphonezone.in/collections/best-headphones-under-rs-5000

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Looks like the ATH-M20 is the most popular one in that list. Perhaps I'll go with it then unless anyone has any other suggestions to consider.

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
You won't go wrong with ATH-M20 with good Source or amplification.
I myself use Samson SR850 open ended (now always connected to Desktop PC) & its bit more inclined on Brighter Side but very good for the price.
Samson SR 950 close ended would be better here if looking at samson only.
There are option from AKG too if going for brand name.

I recently got ATH - AR1iS (47 ohms Impedance) with mic for laptop use now liking it more when paired with My LG V30+. Its currently best for me even better to Soundmagic E80c which I got it at the same time.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Ok, so I just received the ATH_M20x I ordered and oh boy, it's everything I was expecting.

The bass is tight and punchy and can handle ambient bass decently well. And the mids are sharp enough to cut potatoes.

It's a bit too tight but I think it will loosen up with time. Also, it sounds pretty loud on my phone, so I think my phone can drive this pretty well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom