RGopal

Right off the assembly line
1. Budget? - Max 20K
2. Display type and size? good display - above 6" size
3. Dual sim? - Yes
4. Preferred choice of brand? Any
5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)? Any
6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS,Stock Android etc). Android- 10
7. Preferred connectivity options (Dual 4G,802.11AC/5Ghz(not 5g mobile network) wifi). Duel4G, 5Ghz, NFC
8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)? General
9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration? None
10. Any other info that you want to share-Preferably stock android. (Include upcoming phones). Preferably made in India phone

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
NFC is just a gimmick for now in India, you will be better off with NFC/contact-less credit card. Also stock android is ok but lacks quite a lot of features which you may need.e.g. Almost all stock android roms will be missing call recording & you may have to spend 600-700 on buying a call recorder app which works perfectly fine on stock android 10(a member here did the same). Same with other features like screen recording,call blocking etc.

All made in India phones are just "assembled in India" phones so don't bother about it.

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
^ Call / SMS blocking is present in stock android and faaar better integrated. Call recording API's are being deprecated all across because of security issues.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ Call / SMS blocking is present in stock android and faaar better integrated. Call recording API's are being deprecated all across because of security issues.
Does stock android comes with pattern based call blocking(e.g. block all numbers starting with 140)? Call recording is very important feature for people in certain fields(business,security,legal etc) & google has no restrictions on oem implementing call recording in any country which has no legal rules against it.e.g.in India where every manufacturer rom comes with call recording enabled & will continue to do so.

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Does stock android comes with pattern based call blocking(e.g. block all numbers starting with 140)?
Of course not. This is a fairly fancy feature used only by power users. Lots of features are important for many people in several fields. That does not mean its not a security concern for common folk. A call recording API exposes exploitation by malicious apps

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Of course not. This is a fairly fancy feature used only by power users. Lots of features are important for many people in several fields. That does not mean its not a security concern for common folk. A call recording API exposes exploitation by malicious apps
I disagree, all telemarketing calls in India starts with number 140 & I have seen people getting at least 4-5 calls daily from such numbers with only common thing being starting digits(140) so traditional call blocking is pretty much useless. I never use a phone or recommend anyone to use a phone without having at least this feature via either manufacturer rom or a 3rd party app( Calls Blacklist PRO - Call Blocker – Apps on Google Play only costs Rs.29 btw). An avg person in India is much more at risk getting scammed by upi/otp scam than malicious exploitation of call recording api.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
^why not use DND then?
SMS START 0 to the number 1909. This will activate full DND on your number.
I don't get any tele-calls on Jio.
*trai.gov.in/portals-apps/trai-apps

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^why not use DND then?
DND does not work perfectly for all the people at all times plus companies have started using new ways to bypass dnd, I am now seeing calls from regular numbers(with first 2-3 digits same but rest different) but made by your mobile service provider for things like "notifications" etc about plans ending,data usage & whatnot. It is best to have a pattern based call blocking feature nowadays even if currently you don't feel the need for it. Also dnd has a lot of loopholes so whenever you open any bank acc, take any insurance policy etc you are giving away your consent for many types of calls not covered by dnd.

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
^why not use DND then?

DND is one of the bigest jokes in India. I am on Full DND on all 4 numbers still I continuously keep getting telemarketing calls and SMS on one of them, my second oldest number which I use the most, my public number. Oldest is being used less, not given in most of the places so nothing on it. i keep getting a SPAM Call / SMS once every month or two on the third number. Last one is just 3 years old & i have received less than 10 SPAM SMS on it.

i have been reporting every DND violation but NOTHING was done except these standard replies :
1. "It was a service call / sms not promotional in nature so no action was taken"
2. "it wasn't found in our records"
3. "Opted Preference"

I once confronted Airtel with 2 same SMS - on one they replied opted preference and on second - non-promotional. they said - sir we are helpless as the defaulter network is different. i asked them to act on another originated from their own network and they said we will get back to you but never did.

at present, PNB Metlife & SBI Life are the biggest nuisance creators. BSNL followed by Airtel are the networks from which these originate.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^Precisely why you need a full fledged call blocker with pattern based call blocking whether on stock android or using manufacturer/custom rom.

OrrBitt

Broken In
I've activated DND on my Jio number and still get calls from the 140 series, three to four times a day. I don't know how it works, because some people on Jio don't get such calls and some do, with the same setting for DND.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've activated DND on my Jio number and still get calls from the 140 series, three to four times a day. I don't know how it works, because some people on Jio don't get such calls and some do, with the same setting for DND.
Buy the app I mentioned above for Rs.29, it works well.

DND does not work perfectly for all the people at all times plus companies have started using new ways to bypass dnd, I am now seeing calls from regular numbers(with first 2-3 digits same but rest different) but made by your mobile service provider for things like "notifications" etc about plans ending,data usage & whatnot. It is best to have a pattern based call blocking feature nowadays even if currently you don't feel the need for it. Also dnd has a lot of loopholes so whenever you open any bank acc, take any insurance policy etc you are giving away your consent for many types of calls not covered by dnd.
DND works well for me for some reason, no marketing calls from even airtel. The only useless spam calls received were from actual phone numbers, not a marketing number, those people were usually dealing with jobs as I registered on naukri, etc.

1. Budget? - Max 20K
2. Display type and size? good display - above 6" size
3. Dual sim? - Yes
4. Preferred choice of brand? Any
5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)? Any
6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS,Stock Android etc). Android- 10
7. Preferred connectivity options (Dual 4G,802.11AC/5Ghz(not 5g mobile network) wifi). Duel4G, 5Ghz, NFC
8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)? General
9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration? None
10. Any other info that you want to share-Preferably stock android. (Include upcoming phones). Preferably made in India phone
Wait for upcoming Nokia 6.3 & 7.3 maybe? Maybe there are new Moto phones coming up as well, but its updates aren't as good as it once was, maybe Xiaomi & Samsung are better in that aspect that Moto. They won't be as good as Xiaomi (Redmi or Poco) or Realme phones, but hope that they are at least better than Samsung.

Otherwise I'd say Poco X2 128GB is a great option, don't buy 64GB as phone lacks dedicated SD card slot. Definitely a far cry from stock, but with some tweaking, it will look a bit like stock (Nova launcher). It is one of the best sub 20k phone right now.

Top Bottom