Looking for a good Wifi Range Extender best compatible with an Asus Router !

vishk

Journeyman
Hi Guys,

I have shifted my house and I have for the very first time in my life purchased a smart TV now we all know smart TV only works on the Internet and hence it has to be connected to the internet all the time.

So I have the Asus AC58U Wi-Fi router. In my old house I used to have my workstation in my bedroom where I needed the strongest Wi-Fi network and so I had placed my router there but now in my new house since the smart TV is going to be in my living room, and at the same time I am going to have my workstation in my bedroom I am in a dilemma which would be the sweet spot to place the router ? in the living room or in the bedroom? and in case if I place it anywhere to boost the Wifi network, the Wi-Fi range, should I be using a Wi-Fi extender if yes which is the best possible Wi-Fi range extender that you can suggest which works well with this Asus model?

Also my question is should I connect the TV to main router or I can connect the TV to Wi-Fi range extender also please advise

Thanks.

Last edited:
Maybe make a rough floor plan of your house with potential router spots. Centre of the house is the ideal location in general.

I set this up for a friend, speed from extender will be half. Check his pinned comment for troubleshooting:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq0DQeBN1QA

OP
V

vishk

Journeyman
Maybe make a rough floor plan of your house with potential router spots. Centre of the house is the ideal location in general.

I set this up for a friend, speed from extender will be half. Check his pinned comment for troubleshooting:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq0DQeBN1QA

I do not use the 5GHZ band I only use the 2.4 GHZ on my Router I have disabled it. Do you think even then it will create problems ?

And even then the speed will be half with a Range Extender ?

I do not use the 5GHZ band I only use the 2.4 GHZ on my Router I have disabled it. Do you think even then it will create problems ?

And even then the speed will be half with a Range Extender ?
No, just that I have not seen more than 60Mbps or so on 2.4GHz & higher latency, I use 5GHz exclusively.

OP
V

vishk

Journeyman
Some guys are suggesting connecting a Lan Cable from the router to the Extender in its access point for more Wifi Speed. But how feasible that is ? If I have the Main Router in the Living Room I can't have the Lan Cable going through from different rooms and areas of my house all laying down to the bedroom where I am gonna be plugging in the extender.

Some guys are suggesting connecting a Lan Cable from the router to the Extender in its access point for more Wifi Speed. But how feasible that is ? If I have the Main Router in the Living Room I can't have the Lan Cable going through from different rooms and areas of my house all laying down to the bedroom where I am gonna be plugging in the extender.
Yes, wired connection between different routers/extenders are ideal always. Feasibility depends on you & your house.

For my parents house I asked electrician to put LAN wires along with electrical cables during construction, he messed up the locations though, that's a different case.