Looking for a decent laptop with some gaming power

anuroop

Broken In
Hi Guys,

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
Anywhere between 50-90k, can even extend a bit if needed.

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
Gaming - Games like LoL and Dota2 and maybe the newer ones if possible, my current laptop is a 3 year old Asus K53S and it pretty much hangs for seconds while playing LoL.
Browsing - Extensive and long periods, both my current laptops at home actually start becoming ridiculusly slow even with 5-10 chrome tabs open for long time.
Downloading - Might be leaving it on for nights for downloading.
Multimedia - Would be watching movies on this extensively while travelling so a good screen and decent battery would be godsend.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eyeing for ?
As I own an i5/4gb ram from 3-4 years, pretty much want to upgrade to an i7/8 or 16gb if possible. If an SSD is possible in this budget then would love it.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
Nothing like this, am open to all brands currently but would prefer a Windows machine rather than a Mac.

6) Anything else you would like to say?
Would need a decent screen as watching movies and gaming on this lap.
Normal battery backup of 3-5 hrs should be sufficient but extended wont hurt as long as the weight doesn't become too much.
Open to purchase options as well.
The current laptop (ASUS K53S) is actually a bit heavy, something lighter than that would be preferable.

Hope I gave enough info but in case I missed anything due to my lack of technical expertise please do let me know.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Choose one

1. Battery Life, light weight
2. Good screen and GPU

Ask a quote from AZOM SYSTEMS.

Lenovo Y50 still comes with TN panel so keep it as a last option. No other laptop has 960M under 100k. Don't go below 960M for this budget.
MSI has overpriced configs. Not worth buying over similar but much cheaper configs from Asus.

Forget gaming on a crapbook. They don't have dGPU :rofl:

Browsing - Extensive and long periods, both my current laptops at home actually start becoming ridiculusly slow even with 5-10 chrome tabs open for long time.

I would say that the hanging might be due to software issues not hardware, as after opening 10 tabs even my chrome hangs, sometimes lags in rest of the laptop too (Note: My C drive is in a SSD)

I would say that you decide if you want good gaming performance or battery life (you will get less weight laptops)

OP
A

anuroop

Broken In
Choose one

1. Battery Life, light weight
2. Good screen and GPU

Ask a quote from AZOM SYSTEMS.

Lenovo Y50 still comes with TN panel so keep it as a last option. No other laptop has 960M under 100k. Don't go below 960M for this budget.
MSI has overpriced configs. Not worth buying over similar but much cheaper configs from Asus.

Forget gaming on a crapbook. They don't have dGPU :rofl:

Thanks for the inputs.
Any chance you could give me the best options for both 1 and 2, so I could actually know what I will be picking from.
But priority would be the ability to run games like LoL and Dota 2 and a good enough screen.

Went to the local hp store and I was suggested HP Envy ae009tx which apparently had a i7/16gb ram/2 tb hdd/gtx 950 4gb. Had a quick look at it the screen looked OK and the weight was ok as well. They quoted 85k price tag. Is this a good deal, as in can this laptop serve my purposes?

Also went to the Lenovo store for a few minutes, they quoted 84k for that laptop y50-70( which is what you suggested) and they showed another laptop z51 something. But they didn't give me a brochure for the specs so I am not well aware of the same.

Overall the HP Envy one actually fulfilled most of the criteria (i7/8or16gb ram/1-2gb hdd0 only thing it was missing was a SSD(which is not a necessity) and the card(gtx 950) which I am not sure of as I am totally unaware of the naming sequences of the cards.

Last edited:
OP
A

anuroop

Broken In
Anyone with any more inputs? Will have to read up on the HP Envy model and decide on that I suppose.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Anyone with any more inputs? Will have to read up on the HP Envy model and decide on that I suppose.

That HP ae009TX has dual core i7 (which is just a higher clocked ULV i5 IMO). Not worth spending more than 50-55k IMO.

Buy a laptop with proper quad core i7 like 4720HQ. Asus has 2 laptops under 60k with better CPU than that HP envy laptop. GPU is same 950M and you get a M.2 ssd slot in the Asus ROG laptop worth 60k.

Atleast ask a quote from Azom. Nobody is forcing you to buy it. Check out Y50 locally and if you find the screen good enough, it becomes your obvious choice for 80k because of 960M (ask this GPU specifically).

Last edited:
OP
A

anuroop

Broken In
That HP ae009TX has dual core i7 (which is just a higher clocked ULV i5 IMO). Not worth spending more than 50-55k IMO.

Buy a laptop with proper quad core i7 like 4720HQ. Asus has 2 laptops under 60k with better CPU than that HP envy laptop. GPU is same 950M and you get a M.2 ssd slot in the Asus ROG laptop worth 60k.

Atleast ask a quote from Azom. Nobody is forcing you to buy it. Check out Y50 locally and if you find the screen good enough, it becomes your obvious choice for 80k because of 960M (ask this GPU specifically).

Oh I didnt know that. So only ones with HQ on end are good ones.

No Asus show rooms nearby, so I mailed them and they came back with a quote for Asus G551 Dm036H, which has a i7 4720HQ, 16 gb ram, 1 tb hdd, 15.6'' FHD, and a GTX 850M i think for 90k.

Now other than the processor rest everything is inferior to the HP one and Asus is more costly.

Had a look at the AZoM site, will send them a request for a quote. But is it completely reliable? I mean if some problems with the system do they replace it or will they ask me to go to the maker of the products. I was intending to purchase extended warranty with the laptop I would but I don't think any such option is available with them. Will inquire about it with them as well. If I am spending this much I need some peace of mind in case anything goes wrong with it.

acidCow

Broken In
Azom Laptop - Exigo
Clevo Barebone - P750DM
Display - 15.6” IPS Full-HD 1920x1080 16:9 Matte (anti-glare)
CPU - Intel Skylake i5-6500
GPU - NVIDIA GTX 970M 6GB
RAM - 8GB 2133MHz DDR4
Storage1 - M.2 2280 120GB SSD
Storage2 - SATA 1TB 5400rpm HDD
Wireless - Intel Wireless-AC 7265, dual band 2x2 + Bluetooth 4.0
Sound - Sound Blaster X-FI MB5, 2 x Onkyo Speakers
Card Reader - 6-in-1 Push-Push Card reader
Keyboard - Customizable backlit, anti-ghost keys
Camera - 2.0M FHD Video camera
Battery - 8 cell (82Wh)

Operating System - Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

Price - 1,16,600/- plus tax @5% VAT
Warranty - 1 year

Got this quote from Azom today. This is the baseline model (The SSD can be removed ). Also this
includes shipping the laptop to you and also doorstep warranty claim service (not so sure about this, better ask them again).

OP
A

anuroop

Broken In
Got this quote from Azom today. This is the baseline model (The SSD can be removed ). Also this
includes shipping the laptop to you and also doorstep warranty claim service (not so sure about this, better ask them again).

I loved the config but it id kind of 20k over my budget. I wouldnt really need such an advanced graphic card I think.

Garg enterprise one is out of stock but only thing missing on it is a 8gb ram instead of 4gb, other than that its actually not that bad. Hmmm, tough decisions.

Thanks Acid for the config post.

Top Bottom