Looking for 4TB External HDD

OP
vidhubhushan

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
"External connector" like those usb enclosure cases are a big no(no ventilation so case running internal hdd gets hot quickly) but open type hdd docks are acceptable provided room temps are decent & your power supply via ups is good(forget about directly connecting external hdd power connector to wall socket unless you don't care much for your data). Go with backup plus 4TB this time & sell the refurbished replacement WD drive you will get on olx/erodov/techenclave forum for ~4.5-5k.

P.S. I will also suggest not to order internal hdd online as they are very delicate & no matter how good the packaging is,there is still chance of damage(not visible immediately but rather long term which I suspect is the case with your current 4TB hdd) given how courier companies handle the products usually.

i have an old tech-com usb power connector with power adapter but don't know if it is going to work with 4tb or not. i will get external one and later try to get a 4tb internal along with or after new computer. thanks dear.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stay away from such connectors especially for large capacity internal hdd.These connectors are good for may be 500gb/1tb 2.5" laptop hdd but even then I would not suggest using them.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
"External connector" like those usb enclosure cases are a big no(no ventilation so case running internal hdd gets hot quickly) but open type hdd docks are acceptable provided room temps are decent & your power supply via ups is good(forget about directly connecting external hdd power connector to wall socket unless you don't care much for your data). Go with backup plus 4TB this time & sell the refurbished replacement WD drive you will get on olx/erodov/techenclave forum for ~4.5-5k.

P.S. I will also suggest not to order internal hdd online as they are very delicate & no matter how good the packaging is,there is still chance of damage(not visible immediately but rather long term which I suspect is the case with your current 4TB hdd) given how courier companies handle the products usually.

Don't they use proper packaging like those bubble covers? And what about external hdd from online websites? They have a pretty standard packaging from the oem's side.
The shopkeepers also get their internal hdd's in a box via courier/on road transport. No concerns of damage there?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Don't they use proper packaging like those bubble covers? And what about external hdd from online websites? They have a pretty standard packaging from the oem's side.
My 2nd online external hdd purchase was from Amazon recently and bubble wrap was good enough. IIRC, when I bought a powered external drive in 2014, that came with a lot of air packets too.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
The shopkeepers also get their internal hdd's in a box via courier/on road transport. No concerns of damage there?
External hdd are more securely packaged as they are nicely packaged to begin with. As for internal HDD I am not sure but I know that main distributors receive internal hdd in specially designed packaging not available to public. May be that's why internal hdd bought from shops in smaller cities have higher failure rate(if it is true).

My 2nd online external hdd purchase was from Amazon recently and bubble wrap was good enough. IIRC, when I bought a powered external drive in 2014, that came with a lot of air packets too.
But not all sellers are like this & also some courier companies handling may be pretty bad.

OP
vidhubhushan

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
iirc, my 4TB WD came in a cardboard box only, no bubble wrap or anything. inside that was the box of WD.
this time, I am going to buy it from local market.

OP
vidhubhushan

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
bought Seagate 4TB Backup Plus from Local Market for INR8200. ran full test on it and now trying to copy data from the other disk.

right now i am using COPY option. should / can I use CUT option?

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
bought Seagate 4TB Backup Plus from Local Market for INR8200. ran full test on it and now trying to copy data from the other disk.

right now i am using COPY option. should / can I use CUT option?
NO, no CUT!

In case anytime READ fails, due to CUT the data may corrupt.

Try Teracopy and verify post copy (there is a option in Teracopy for that)

OP
vidhubhushan

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
NO, no CUT!

In case anytime READ fails, due to CUT the data may corrupt.

Try Teracopy and verify post copy (there is a option in Teracopy for that)

Thanks a lot for the reply. i am using teracopy. copied some 10-15% of it. it is misbehaving a lot.
on a big folder having a lot of folders and files, i was able to copy some 10% and after that now it started showing CRC error when i clicked on it to expand. i will try again tomorrow.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
One suggestion. Try to copy small amounts at a time.
Like, if a folder has 2-3 sub folders, copy one sub folder at a time.

Top Bottom