Status
Not open for further replies.

zerohourkill

Broken In
my computer crushed while i was working in Suse and then wen i restarted computer KDE didnt load but instead console appeared and it said: Login:
and then i typed my user name and password and after that it said: "Have fun!" or something like that and still didnt load KDE. Im now only able to type in black like night console :cry: ..... help me

by the way same thing happened to Mepis 3.3 when i instaled it...

e-freak

Broken In
What do u mean by your computer got crushed....was there an elephant in your house?!? :p

Neways, the answer ujjwal gave is right...you can also type "init 5" in the boot options that GRUB presents you with (thats in case u r using GRUB and not LILO). init 5 is the boot-in-gui-mode, u can say.

ujjwal

Padawan
Also, if you want to permanently switch to a graphical login screen, check the file /etc/inittab

You will probably find a line like -

Code:
id:3:initdefault:

change it to

Code:
id:5:initdefault:

Assuming that init level 5 is the graphical login mode for your system.

e-freak

Broken In
One query...

I have used the switchdesk command to change between the environments on RedHat using the CLI. Is this command exclusive to RedHat or does it work on all distros?

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
HOw many logins (sessions) can a person have in Linux.i currently have 3
F1,F2,F3.Can a person have more.

sba

Journeyman
Yes but not recommended above 63
*www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Keyboard-and-Console-HOWTO.html#ss7.1

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
If you want to login to multiple GUI terminals, (that is F7, F8, F9 ....)
then use gdmflexiserver command to start a new Login session. Your older GUI session (F7) gets locked by the screensaver and another login screen opens in F8. But this feature is available if you have GNOME installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom