Linux Q???

Status
Not open for further replies.

casifer

Right off the assembly line
I had this question that is there something in linux called "linuxconf"? If yes please tell me how to access it without any flames or LOLS.

amitsaudy

Ambassador of Buzz
Linuxconf is a powerfull commandline utility for administrators n advanced users for managing your system.
You can do virtually anything related to the system.
eg- manage diffrent services, editing various system files,customizing the boot loader etc.
Using linuxconf is not reccomended for newbies.
Linuxconf is shipped with almost every linux dist. out there.
In most dist. it is installed by default, if not then u can install the package from your source disk.
To run linuxconf type linuxconf at your shells commandline.
If u are not logged in as root you will be asked to enter the root password.
It is always reccomended to brouse the manual pages if you are not confident.
Type man linuxconf to brouse the manual.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
casifer said:
I had this question that is there something in linux called "linuxconf"? If yes please tell me how to access it without any flames or LOLS.
HI casifier, this is one of the good forums you might have come across... nobody flames anyone here...(except for flaming team digit :)

linuxconf utility is just a text based front end for manyother utilities. And you can separately run those utilities. Its important for you to know the names of various utilities because linuxconf is a feature of Redhat. Other distributions like Debian, Slackware dont have linuxconf. Slackware for ecample used to have a utility called setup .

Try messing around with some of these utilities and you might learn a lot about how GNU/Linux operating systems work.

# ntsysv
# sndconfig
# xconfigurator <- not included with new versions
# xf86config
# netcardconfig

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Ricky said:
BTW.. now Linuxconf is usually not shipped with standard new redhat distros
I personally don't like redhat. Migrated to Debian 2 years back... And more importantly, Debian calls its OS as Debian GNU/Linux ... that GNU word makes all the difference.... What do you say Ricky?

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
GNUrag said:
Ricky said:
BTW.. now Linuxconf is usually not shipped with standard new redhat distros
I personally don't like redhat. Migrated to Debian 2 years back... And more importantly, Debian calls its OS as Debian GNU/Linux ... that GNU word makes all the difference.... What do you say Ricky?

About Redhat or Debian or Slack or whtever.. I just need the work to be done in minimal time !!

About GNU/Linux .. mostly people take GNU/Linux as Free software ie.. free to use.. It don't matters that it is free to modify and such.. so Actually when we they say linux then to them it is a only a free software.. GNU doesn't really matters to them...

But when you say GNU/linux then you are saying linux at its best strength as due this we got what we tdday in opensource world of GNU/linux !!

Wht do u say ?

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Ricky said:
About GNU/Linux .. mostly people take GNU/Linux as Free software ie.. free to use.. It don't matters that it is free to modify and such.. so Actually when we they say linux then to them it is a only a free software.. GNU doesn't really matters to them...
I agree with you Ricky... people dont want to get into intricate details but want their work done... However its one's priority that matters.... You might be a Businessman an Entrepruener or whatever... For you its the operating system that is important... since its fits your needs perfectly...

But i come from a research organization... for me the freedom to modify existing package is an absolute necessity... GNU is important for me since it empowers me with the right to modify/copy/redistribute existing softwares.... I am a GNU Enthusiast, and wherever i go, i take my GNU Advocacy with me... Its important for me to tell what they are using is essentially Free Software...

firewall

In the zone
@GNUrag

....GNU is important for me since it empowers me with the right to modify/copy/redistribute existing softwares.... I am a GNU Enthusiast, and wherever i go, i take my GNU Advocacy with me... Its important for me to tell what they are using is essentially Free Software.....

Simply the Best .....!! :)

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom