Linux and Hard Disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Help!!!!! Help!!!!!I currently have win xp on my comp. But soon i am going to clear my both hdds and load linux in one of my hdds. Also i am going to get another hdd of 40 gb. Let's name my hdds a,b and c. So in 'a' there will the / dir without /home. Now how to mount 'b' and 'c' such that it is avaliable to all users in /home 's space?

Pathik

Google Bot
keep the two hdds attached wen installin linu ... it ll auto mount them...
else use the command
mount -t vfat /home/hdb /dev/hdb (for fat)
and
mount -t ntfs /home/hdb /dev/hdb (for ntfs)
this ll mount the device hdb(ur hdd) @ home/hdb...

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
pathiks said:
keep the two hdds attached wen installin linu ... it ll auto mount them...
else use the command
mount -t vfat /home/hdb /dev/hdb (for fat)
and
mount -t ntfs /home/hdb /dev/hdb (for ntfs)
this ll mount the device hdb(ur hdd) @ home/hdb...

you did not understand. 'b' and 'c' should be the default hdd for /home and not 'a' which is /. i mean that can we hv mount pt /home for both 'b' and 'c'.

Last edited:

Pathik

Google Bot
nope then... i dont think u can hav the same mount point for two diff hdds or partitions...
wait for the linux gurus to come... dont rely on me :D

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I don't have multiple hard disks so haven't ever tried such a thing but one thing you can do is. Keep / on 1st hard disk, ~ on 2nd hard disk and ~/entertainment on 3rd hard disk. entertainment can be anything. Like, it can be the download folder for music and movies. Name it as you wish.

eddie

El mooooo
The Unknown said:
how abt / on 1st, 2nd one on /mnt/drv01 and the 3rd one on /mnt/drv02?
This method will not put your /home partition on a separate drive, rather it will be on first drive only. To get two drives function as one (like /home directory), you need to put them in RAID.

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
eddie said:
This method will not put your /home partition on a separate drive, rather it will be on first drive only. To get two drives function as one (like /home directory), you need to put them in RAID.

Buddy mine is an old comp. p3 wth ide hdds

eddie

El mooooo
Then my friend you can not make your two hard disks to act as one :|

IMO you should keep one drive for / and your bigger drive for /home. You can use your third drive as another partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom