Lightweight laptop for normal usage

doubleseven

Broken In
1) What is your budget?
<30K INR

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
  • Thin and Light; 12" - 14" screen

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
- Browsing
- Movie watching
- Document editing
- Just normal day to day usage

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
- Lightweight (because I travel a lot with it) - < 2 kgs
- Good battery backup
- Laptop should run for 5 years flawlessly (future proof)
- FHD screen (if possible within budget)
- SSD and HDD option should be there simultaneously (M2 slot too much to expect?)
- Intel only

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Any brand that offers good service + Intel processor
b. Dislike: Micromax, iBall types

6) Anything else you would like to say?
  • Purchase place - Online in India

Some options I have seen:
1) *www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07H7LBXLR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A14CZOWI0VEHLG
(tempted because its 8th gen Intel )

2) HP 14q Core i3 7th Gen - (4 GB/1 TB HDD/DOS) 14q-cs0009TU Thin and Light Laptop Rs.30039 Price in India - Buy HP 14q Core i3 7th Gen - (4 GB/1 TB HDD/DOS) 14q-cs0009TU Thin and Light Laptop Jet Black Online - HP : Flipkart.com

3) *www.flipkart.com/dell-inspiron-14-3000-series-core-i3-7th-gen-4-gb-1-tb-hdd-linux-3467-laptop

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
That 8th gen dell model is good but not light.Dell does have the best after sales support in India though & its build quality is also considered a bit better than hp & lenovo by many.

P.S.you should definitely replace hdd by 120gb ssd(onlyssd.com kingston A400 or adata SU650 available for 1700).Get it done by dell service centre to avoid any risk of voiding warranty.

All your requirements will be met if you buy from USA. In India, its too much to ask for.

I'd say get any 14" laptop with at least i3 6th gen, 4GB RAM, 768p display & Win10(or not). Replace HDD with 250GB SSD & use HDD with caddy.

Found this:
*www.amazon.in/Lenovo-Ideapad-330S-Intel-Core/dp/B07F5LNPP3/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
It has M.2 PCIe slot (no SATA 3) port according to some users. Also has a FHD display & i3 8th gen (equivalent to i5 7200U).

OP
D

doubleseven

Broken In
All your requirements will be met if you buy from USA. In India, its too much to ask for.

I'd say get any 14" laptop with at least i3 6th gen, 4GB RAM, 768p display & Win10(or not). Replace HDD with 250GB SSD & use HDD with caddy.

Found this:
*www.amazon.in/Lenovo-Ideapad-330S-Intel-Core/dp/B07F5LNPP3/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
It has M.2 PCIe slot (no SATA 3) port according to some users. Also has a FHD display & i3 8th gen (equivalent to i5 7200U).
Hi.thanks for your response. Cannot buy from the US sadly. :/

I did see this Lenovo Ideapad laptop you linked to(I want a FHD display if that is possible within budget) but the reviews were quite negative. Especially one detailed review where the guy had mentioned that the display is giving too many problems.

What do you think of this? *www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07H7LBXLR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A14CZOWI0VEHLG

OP
D

doubleseven

Broken In
That 8th gen dell model is good but not light.Dell does have the best after sales support in India though & its build quality is also considered a bit better than hp & lenovo by many.

P.S.you should definitely replace hdd by 120gb ssd(onlyssd.com kingston A400 or adata SU650 available for 1700).Get it done by dell service centre to avoid any risk of voiding warranty.
Hi. Yes it is on the heavier side but the specs are quite good for the price. So tempted. There is an amazon sale that is happening on 20th this month so will keep exploring options till then.

I will definitely get SSD. Is onlyssd.com a reliable site? (sorry a noob here)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
onlyss.com is the ssd selling division of primeabgb so they are quite reliable. For future reference,in India there are 4 major pc components selling websites each operated by a big/largest pc selling store in a major city. Their prices & availability will always be better than amazon if not including big sales/card offers. They are also official distributors of many pc component brands in India.
primeabgb(mumbai)
mdcomputers(kolkata)
vedantcomputers(kolkata)
theitdepot(chennai,bangalore)
Delta Peripherals(chennai,online buying not recommended as site not updated regularly like above 4)

Hi.thanks for your response. Cannot buy from the US sadly. :/

I did see this Lenovo Ideapad laptop you linked to(I want a FHD display if that is possible within budget) but the reviews were quite negative. Especially one detailed review where the guy had mentioned that the display is giving too many problems.

What do you think of this? *www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07H7LBXLR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A14CZOWI0VEHLG
Good enough, replace HDD with SSD if possible. Not exactly light as mentioned earlier.

OP
D

doubleseven

Broken In
onlyss.com is the ssd selling division of primeabgb so they are quite reliable. For future reference,in India there are 4 major pc components selling websites each operated by a big/largest pc selling store in a major city. Their prices & availability will always be better than amazon if not including big sales/card offers. They are also official distributors of many pc component brands in India.
primeabgb(mumbai)
mdcomputers(kolkata)
vedantcomputers(kolkata)
theitdepot(chennai,bangalore)
Delta Peripherals(chennai,online buying not recommended as site not updated regularly like above 4)
Oh nice. I used to buy a lot from Delta. Stopped going there nowadays.

Top Bottom