Lightweight Laptop for AutoCad and Simulation related work

debarshi

Otaku
Hey everybody,

I want to buy a laptop for my dad, AutoCad, Pro II, HTRI, and other process-simulation based processor intensive works being the things the laptop is mainly going to be used for.

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
50 to 55k max

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen but thin and light would be preferred in this screen size

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Dell, HP
b. Dislike: Nothing (All are acceptable)

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
AutoCad, Pro II, HTRI, and other process-simulation based processor intensive works.
Light occasional gaming (Fifa 13 and NFS) and movies.

5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?
Standard 1366*768 would do, but 1920*1080 would be an added plus, considering watching movies to be a treat in Full HD

6) Anything else you would like to say? (eg: local purchase, ASS,matte/glossy finish)

Please suggest lightweight laptops, if possible, not above 2.5 kgs as I need to be portable.
Would be purchasing in 2 weeks, ODD not required, a HDD+SSD is preferred and pre-installed OS is must.

tkin

Back to school!!
Non full HD, has a slightly slower GPU(GDDR3 memory) but has a Blue Ray drive, earlier models used to have overheating issues, but some users claim that it has been solved and newer models are better, locally 56-58k:
A. Samsung NP550P5C-S05IN Laptop (3rd Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) - Samsung: Flipkart.com

Full HD, slightly faster GPU(GDDR5 memory), but only DVDRW, has a mildly faster GPU, but has a trackpad issue which some users claim is solved(replaced) by lenovo in a few days max, locally about 62-63k:
B. Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (59-346619) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) - Lenovo: Flipkart.com

If you can't extend budget beyond 55K at all, spec wise looks nice, upgrade ram to 8GB(1.6k for 4GB), slightly lower GPU performance than GT650m given above, but 1366x768 screen only :-?
C. Dell New Inspiron 15R SE Laptop (3rd Gen Ci7/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Win7 HP/ 2GB Graph) - Dell: Flipkart.com

Now, I am not sure about autocad etc, how nVidia and amd gpus fare in those kind of apps, which works best, which is favored by such apps, so I leave that input to other guys, my recommendations are based on pure performance basis.

Last edited:
OP
debarshi

debarshi

Otaku
Thanks tkin for that ultra fast reply. I had been considering Dell New Inspiron 15R SE Laptop and Y500 too (but refrained due to trackpad issue).

I Dont need Blu-ray right now (even not having ODD is alright). And aren't there any lightweight alternatives to these, not sacrificing the GPU, Like HP sleekbook.

tkin

Back to school!!
Thanks tkin for that ultra fast reply. I had been considering Dell New Inspiron 15R SE Laptop and Y500 too (but refrained due to trackpad issue).

I Dont need Blu-ray right now (even not having ODD is alright). And aren't there any lightweight alternatives to these, not sacrificing the GPU, Like HP sleekbook.
No man, you add a GPU, you get heat, you need a bigger battery, you have a i7 quad core, more heat, more cooling equipment, lightweight laptops tend to sacrifice GPU power to decrease weight as well, its just not something you can have, not even for 10lakhs, high end alienware laptops tend to weight like 4-5kgs or more, just due to the cooling equipment. So since your usage is autocad you need a fast GPU, nothing short of what I had given, so no options with the weight.

Except this, this comes in your budget but not sold nor serviced in India: Razer Edge Pro Gaming System: The World's First Tablet Designed for PC Gamers | Razer United States (coming soon)
Razer Edge Gaming System: The World's First Tablet Designed for PC Gamers | Razer United States (available now, slightly slower on the CPU side)

Accessories for both sold extra.

OP
debarshi

debarshi

Otaku
Thanks for that heads-up...

And no chance of importing that....

Guess I will have to stick with Inspiron 15r........ Any chances of prices coming down or newer models?

tkin

Back to school!!
Thanks for that heads-up...

And no chance of importing that....

Guess I will have to stick with Inspiron 15r........ Any chances of prices coming down or newer models?
Nope, a word of caution, Dell 15R SE has 1366x768 screen resolution, not something worth paying 55k, so I'd suggest the Y500 if you want 1080P or at least the Samsung model.

OP
debarshi

debarshi

Otaku
Can you give me a link to that laptop or at least the model number. I somehow didn't find that in Flipkart

Top Bottom