Light Gaming Rig

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Installing the hardware took some effort as I have to make do with an old case for now. Motherboard did not come with screws to fix it. There was a single screw which acts like a pillar under the board. I guess it also provides earthing or something like that. There were 2 SATA cables one with a bent connector and one straight.
While installing the CPU, I had to loop the fan cable in order to stop it from fouling with fan because of its length and location.
The cable bundle out of PSU is very thick and takes a lot of room.

I have installed 64 bit Windows 10 Professional. All normal operations are smooth so far. Coming from my previous Athlon X2 3600+ this is like night and day!

I have kept 2 GB RAM for video. 6 GB for Windows. I have installed latest drivers from AMD for graphics.

Installed Alan Wake and went to play. It said my system is low spec and put my resolution to 1024x768 and settings to LOW
In this mode I get 25 to 30 FPS. I have a Full HD monitor by the way.

The motherboard has series of red LEDs at the back and they pulsate nicely when system is on. Also the ADATA RAM too has RGB lighting. Nice to see.
Since you bought an ATX Motherboard what Cabinet did you use to fit it?
In case you want to buy any new Cabinet then go with this:
ANTEC GX200 WITH TRANSPARENT SIDE PANEL (BLACK)
Link:ANTEC MID TOWER CABINET (ATX) - GX200 WITH TRANSPARENT SIDE PANEL (BLACK)

Last edited:
OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I am re-using a 10 year old Zebronics cabinet right now. But I have ordered this today
ANTEC GX200 With WINDOW Blue Led Fan ATX COMPUTER CASE
*www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00XPUTS7I/

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Get this UPS also because it has 2 years warranty:
APC BX600C-IN 600VA, 230V Back UPS
Link:Amazon.in: Buying Choices: APC BX600C-IN 600VA, 230V Back UPS

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
This thread title seems to have been edited by a moderator? But there is no notification/alert about this?

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
I have ordered another 8 GB ADATA 3000 MHz RAM of the same type today. Since so much importance is put on making sure that both sticks are of the same type/latency etc. and if I wait for sometime and ADATA stops producing the same RAM, I will have to replace both sticks then. To avoid that I ordered one today itself. I hope this will in addition make it future proof for at least 4 years.

EDIT: Wait... why did I write that I had bought 2 sticks of 8 GB RAM in my earlier post of the final configuration above? I had only bought one then and just bought the second stick now. I think I had planned to buy 2 earlier but had to bring the budget down to 30ish K level. Anyway I am correcting it now.

I don't think adding one more stick would have made a hell lot of difference. How's the performance now?

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
The RAM is still in transit. MD Computers took 2 days to pack and dispatch it. It has just been picked up by FedEx today and scheduled to be delivered on 15th.

There are some videos on YouTube showing that memory in dual channel configuration actually helps the APUs a lot as much as 40% in some limited cases. I am expecting a 10% gain in practical use because now I will be able to use the additional 8 GB as dual channel RAM. It also allows more headroom for playing with VirtualBox and keeping 179 tabs open in Firefox :blink:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
The RAM is still in transit. MD Computers took 2 days to pack and dispatch it. It has just been picked up by FedEx today and scheduled to be delivered on 15th.

There are some videos on YouTube showing that memory in dual channel configuration actually helps the APUs a lot as much as 40% in some limited cases. I am expecting a 10% gain in practical use because now I will be able to use the additional 8 GB as dual channel RAM. It also allows more headroom for playing with VirtualBox and keeping 179 tabs open in Firefox :blink:
All 179 loaded at same time or just a few loaded while rest inactive until clicked upon?

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Man, don't hit up on some exaggeration. But I do tend to have 50+ tabs open often because I begin with Reddit and Google News, then keep opening links.

There is another user logged in (family) sometimes with tabs open for different e-papers.

Presently I have seen Rainmeter showing upto 70% RAM usage (may be 4.7 out of 6 GB or so).

I have not yet begun using other applications on this machine yet.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man, don't hit up on some exaggeration. But I do tend to have 50+ tabs open often because I begin with Reddit and Google News, then keep opening links.

There is another user logged in (family) sometimes with tabs open for different e-papers.

Presently I have seen Rainmeter showing upto 70% RAM usage (may be 4.7 out of 6 GB or so).

I have not yet begun using other applications on this machine yet.
I just meant to get some info,nothing else.I usually have 500+ tabs open in my browser but at any time only about 50 something are active/loaded but sometimes I do cross 100 open tabs & because of that my browser always crashes after ram usage cross 85% of 4gb ram.I thought may be you are using some "tricks" to successfully running all these tabs at same time which may help me.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Got another 8 GB stick today.

I have installed it in RAM slot A2. Previous was sitting in B2.

How to find if they are actually working in dual channel mode?

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
OK. CPU-Z shows RAM as being Dual Channel. DRAM Frequency is displayed as ~900 MHz. Is this correct or should it be 3000 MHz?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
DDR ram means multiply the ram frequency by 2 to get the rate.I am guessing it is working at 1866MHz.You need to tinker with your mobo settings to make it work at 1500MHz(aka 1500 in cpu-z,3000 in practice).

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
You were right. In the BIOS it was showing at 1866 MHz. I had to select D.O.C.P. Profile #1 to get higher value. Now it is showing around 2900.

CPU-Z shows variable speeds in the 1300-1400 range now.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
how is the performance now .. getting significantly more fps in alan wake and other games ?

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I could not do exact before/after comparison. Partly due to the numerous settings changes done in the meanwhile.

I think there is around 5 - 10 FPS gain now.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
What is this for? It was in the motherboard package.
_20180317_073145.JPG

I had thought this storage pocket had a lid by looking at Amazon images. Turns out this going to be a collection centre for dust.

DSC_0131.jpg

Top Bottom