LG IPS225 Monitor Unboxing and Hands on Review

ajaybc

Youngling
My first review. Here it goes.

I found it high time that I upgrade my 5 year old Viewsonic 1912wb (which was totally awesome for it’s time).
I accidentally stumbled across the 22″ LG IPS225 while browsing for a cheap but feature rich alternative. For around Rs.9000-9500 it is the cheapest IPS (In Plane Switching) monitor available.
The only LG product I have owned till now was our sh1tty refridgerator, so I was really skeptical about buying it.
But I now think it is one of the best buying decision I have made this year.

*img846.imageshack.us/img846/9086/92286663.jpg

*img526.imageshack.us/img526/7692/48508583.jpg

*img23.imageshack.us/img23/2893/12003502.jpg

The package contains a VGA cable, power cable, mounting base and a 2 page product manual. No DVI or HDMI cable was included.

*img192.imageshack.us/img192/8760/99598625.jpg

In addition to a VGA port, a DVI port and an HDMI port the LG IPS225 sports a 3.5″ audio out jack which is a blessing for me when I use my XBOX360 as I can easily connect a headphone as my speakers doesn’t have an HDMI or optical port.

*img210.imageshack.us/img210/3673/73757654.jpg

*img28.imageshack.us/img28/8955/77646568.jpg

The build quality is really good overall. LG has chosen squarer edges against the rounded ones that most monitors these days possess. The base stand although large and beautiful, has a bit of a sloppy build. Due to this the monitor feels a bit too wobbly. Also there is no height adjustment. There is no horizontal tilting and the vertical tilting is limited to just about 30 degrees.

*img9.imageshack.us/img9/9836/53454652.jpg

Dirt 3 looks absolutely stunning.

The colours are vibrant and vivid, and really pop out. This is the best looking display I have seen. The texts are sharp and crisp. Contrast is awesome.After 15 mins of playing Dirt 3, I was already convinced that I was right choosing this display.

*img28.imageshack.us/img28/5442/63334044.jpg

*img189.imageshack.us/img189/4303/89008256.jpg

Viewing angle is really great, thanks to the IPS technology. Thank god I can now watch movies lying in my bed without compromising on contrast or colour richness.
After quitting Dirt 3, I popped in Mission Impossible : Ghost Protocol 1080p.

*img845.imageshack.us/img845/5127/28509390.jpg

*img823.imageshack.us/img823/908/31204693.jpg

*img43.imageshack.us/img43/9317/27412821.jpg

BURJ KHALIFA LOOKED SUPER AWESOME !!

So to summarise

Package Contents
The package contains a VGA cable, power cable, mounting base and a 2 page product manual. No DVI or HDMI cable was included.

Build Quality
The build quality is really good overall. LG has chosen squarer edges against the rounded ones that most monitors these days possess. The base stand although large and beautiful, has a bit of a sloppy build. Due to this the monitor feels a bit too wobbly. Also there is no height adjustment. There is no horizontal tilting and the vertical tilting is limited to just about 30 degrees.

Gaming Performance

The colours are vibrant and vivid, and really pop out. This is the best looking display I have seen. The texts are sharp and crisp. Contrast is awesome.After 15 mins of playing Dirt 3, I was already convinced that I was right choosing this display.

Viewing Angles and Movie Experience
Viewing angle is really great, thanks to the IPS technology. Thank god I can now watch movies lying in my bed without compromising on contrast or colour richness.

Verdict
LG IPS225 is THE BEST computer monitor you can get for under Rs.10,000. The image quality is the best in it’s class. The fact that the next cheapest IPS monitor costs a minimum of Rs.5,000 more makes this a sweet deal. The only problems I could find were the wobbliness of the base stand and the lack of height or tilt adjustments. If you are okay with that, then go for it. You wont be disappointed.

Original Source : *www.ajaybalachandran.com/blog/92/lg-ips225-led-22-inch-monitor-unboxing-and-hands-on-review/

Last edited:

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
great review, but

In addition to a VGA port, a DVI port and an HDMI port the LG IPS225 sports a 3.5″ audio out jack which is a blessing for me when I use my XBOX360 as I can easily connect a headphone as my speakers doesn’t have an HDMI or optical port.

What do you mean by this? Your speakers doesn't have an HDMI or Optical Port? lolwut?

Anyways, the pictures are good, i see viewing angles are great too, but write something more about it apart from the pics too. :)

OP
ajaybc

ajaybc

Youngling
What do you mean by this? Your speakers doesn't have an HDMI or Optical Port? lolwut?

XBox 360 has only a single HDMI port and a RCA out. My speakers are an Altec Lansing VS3251 5.1spkrs which doesn't have an optical audio in (Toslink) or HDMI in. I was using an HDMI to DVI adaptor for connecting the 360 to my old monitor (Viewsonic VA1912WB) and using a RCA to 3.5" adaptor for the audio, which as you can imagine is highly uncomfortable and clumsy.

With this monitor I can just use the HDMI cable to connect the 360 to the monitor and then connect a headphone or speakers to the 3.5" audio out which is like a big thing for me.

Anyways, the pictures are good, i see viewing angles are great too, but write something more about it apart from the pics too. :)

I suck at my English vocabulary and hate writing long essays. But I think I have covered almost all the important topics like picture quality, viewing angle, build quality, ergonomics, available connectors, package contents, price and availability. Please tell me if I missed anything. Thanks.

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
Ohh ok now I understand what you meant to say. Adaptors are seriously a PIA, great now you can enjoy clutter free gaming.

No problem in your language, but try to put your text under appropriate headings. That will look good and give a more professional approach to your review even if you wrote comparitively less. For eg -
Package Contents

Build Quality

Gaming Performance

Viewing Angles and Movie Experience

Verdict
LG IPS225 is THE BEST computer monitor you can get for under Rs.10,000. The image quality is the best in it’s class. The fact that the next cheapest IPS monitor costs a minimum of Rs.5,000 more makes this a sweet deal. The only problems I could find were the wobbliness of the base stand and the lack of height or tilt adjustments. If you are okay with that, then go for it. You wont be disappointed.

See how clutterless it seems now? Look, i don't have any reviews in my profile right now, nor i have any authority over you to point out errors, it's just my suggestion and i like giving it away :)

+repped your review

samiryadav

Broken In
congrats on your purchase.

2 things i would like to know about this monitor.

1.response time? do you feel any Lag while playing @ full HD high bit rate videos(above 10GB ).

2.where do you purchased it?

i am also willing to buy it soon :D

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
Does this monitor have ghosting? I am planning to buy this but am worried about the ghosting in it,if any :(

OP
ajaybc

ajaybc

Youngling
No I didn't notice any ghosting. The base stand is the only stupid thing about this monitor. Everything else has been perfect for me.

Revolution

Wise Old Owl
Thanks for the review!
Can anyone tell me the current price of this monitor in Kolkata ?
I'm LF a cheap monitor for gaming.
Sadly my budget is 8K. :(
Only AOC i2251FW is 8K.

Revolution

Wise Old Owl
23 inch for 8.7k.

23" IPS @8.7K ?
R u sure ?
Which model ?
Cos I already checked MD(Palash) they don't have any LG IPS.
Only have AOC i2251Fwe @8K+,AOC i2353PH @11K+ & Dell U2312HM @15K+.
No Dell Dell U2410 or Dell U2412 were available.

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
Yes I am absolutely sure. And palash himself told me the prices of the 21 and 23 inch. Just a few months back when I bought my own monitor and cabby from them.

And the models are the same too.
Initially he told me too that LG monitors were not available but later called someone and asked him and found out that both monitors were available.

Revolution

Wise Old Owl
Can u confirm the model no of LG 23" IPS which was available @8.7K at MD please ?
AFAIK,no 23" LG IPS available in India currently.

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
LG IPS 236V <= Basically the same as the one in this review. Just with a bigger screen.

Last edited:

Revolution

Wise Old Owl
I still can't believe LG IPS 236V 23" IPS is under 9K. :shock:
Even AOC 23" is 11K+ and AOC monitors are cheaper compare to LG.
I have to check again for LG IPS at Chandni.

Tech123

Broken In
No I didn't notice any ghosting. The base stand is the only stupid thing about this monitor. Everything else has been perfect for me.

what about back light bleed , have you noticed any back light bleeding . Best test would be make your room dark and have a Black wall paper or Full black image on screen , if the black is perfect then there is no back light bleed.

Good to see such a good review of IPS225 after such negative reviews . Check this you tube video LG IPS225V 22 monitor! - YouTube

Also I think LG IPS225 has been changed to IPS225V check this 21.5'' (54.61 cms)LG IPS225V LED Monitor - Revolutionary viewing, Excellence at every angle - LG Electronics IN

so please do let us know about the back light bleeding issue, if any .

Top Bottom