Lenovo Y50/MSI GS60 or the MacBook Pro?

GiMMiG

Broken In
I have been without a laptop since 2011. I finally took the plunge and bought the Lenovo Y50 in August this year. It started falling apart on day one of purchase so I claimed it as Dead on Arrival. I just got my refund some days back and I am without a laptop once again. I posted about this in the Y50 thread too.

While I haven't played a single PC game since 2011, I still want a powerhouse laptop because I am obsessed with quality. Low/mid configurarion laptop's have failed to impress me.

The way I see it, I have the following options :
1. Give Lenovo a second chance : Do you guys think it would be wise to buy the Y50 again considering the negative experience I already had with it?

2. The MSI GE 60 2PC : I have read the official gs60 thread on these forums and I see that a lot of people are not happy with its price. I feel that this is a solid laptop and the Y50 does not come anywhere close to it. Consider :
- Y50 has 8GB RAM. GS60 has 16GB RAM.
- Y50 has a cheap TN display panel. It didn't feel that bad when I used it but it's lacking the awesome feeling you get when you see something beautiful. GS 60 on the other hand has a superior display panel and I don't see anyone complaining about it.
- Y50 weighs 2.7 kg. GS60 weighs only 1.9kg. Y50 is 23mm thick whereas GS 60 is only 19mm in thickness.
- Y50 has a single color backlight keyboard. GS 60 has configurable backlight colors.

The fact that the GS60 is half a kg lighter but packed with better specs itself makes it worth the price.

3. MacBook Pro 13 inch : While I have been anti-apple all my life, a part of me always wanted to explore the other side. Being a programmer, I use Linux a lot and I have used PC all my life. I have always hated Apple for their way of doing business but never hated their products. Do any of the Mac users think that the Mac would be a better choice instead of the above two options? And why?

Looking forward to everyone's views.

rishi_sethi

Journeyman
For coding and casual browsing, a mac is heaven. No experience will ever come close to it.
But a mac and a powerhouse lappy cannot be used in the same sentence. If you need a powerhouse laptop, the two you have listed are 2 of the best currently available in India. It all comes down to your budget.

1) If you consider the price difference and the cons of Y50 compared to the msi one, do u have the budget to spend that much for those features? If yes, go for Msi one..it is a premium laptop.

2) Wait a minute, if u have that much of a budget, compare the Msi one and the nearest Alienware. Cooling system of msi bows down to that of the alienware. Alienware will stand out in the crowd more and has more of the brand image among Indian Crowd. So you can go for it .

Y50 is value for money. You can have bad experiences with mac too. its all about luck. But if you have the budget both msi and alienware are definately superior with cosmetic things like looks..screen...backlighting and brand but performance wise..won't be that much of an upgrade over y50.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Assuming your budget is around 1-1.2 lakh, XOTIC PC | Sager NP8268-S (Clevo P150SM-A) - 15.6" Gaming Notebook would be a better VFM buy, sans the warranty of course.

I'm agree with [MENTION=289390]rishi_sethi[/MENTION], Its about luck can happen with anyone.
As you haven't played any game since 2011, hence you shouldn't choose macbook.
If you could give Lenovo Y50 second chance that would be great. I have lenovo Y510p and quite happy with it.
[MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION] you always recommend everybody Xotic, but everyone can't afford to ship from abroad....

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Sagers are outright ugly. If aesthetics is a factor then avoid.
Go for MSI if you can afford it.
Macbooks are not worth it.

OP
G

GiMMiG

Broken In
I want a laptop that will last me 3-4 years at the least. Even though the Y50 is value for money on paper, I am not sure if it is value for money with respect to time. My HP laptop that died in 2011 lasted me 5 years with hardcore gaming. Do you guys think the Y50 can last the same if I ever get back to hardcore gaming again? I like the MSI a lot but I also agree that it's kind of stupid spending so much on a laptop. The Mac interests me because a side of me know that I won't be gaming as much as I used to. I am confused and need you guys to help me out to make a decision. :)

I am looking for a hassle free purchase especially after the disappointing experience with the Y50. If importing was not that much of a hassle, my list of laptops would definitely not contain the Y50.

Go with MSI then, and avoid macbook as you love gaming unless you want to flaunt it in front of yours friends...:-D

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
[MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION] you always recommend everybody Xotic, but everyone can't afford to ship from abroad....

@OP's budget allows getting it imported. -_-
I used duty calculator website, the total cost of the pre configured one came close to 1l.

frigus

Broken In
If you can hold up, might be a good idea to wait until diwali and make a purchase. There would be more choices.

- - - Updated - - -

And they have launched GE 60, *www.flipkart.com/laptops/msi~brand/pr?sid=6bo,b5g&otracker=product_breadCrumbs_MSI%20Laptops#jumpTo=627|8

OP
G

GiMMiG

Broken In
Thanks frigus. I checked out the new listing from MSI in Flipkart. The base models from MSI don't seem to be value for money. Only the GS60 seems to justify its price.

vineetpratik

Broken In
Go with Y50 if gaming is your primary concern.
I am using it since 14th of August and facing no problems , apart from missing some keystrokes while typing.
I have finished COD Blackops 2 , COD Ghosts , BF3 , BF 4 , Crysis 2 , Crysis 3 , Max payne 3 . In high or ultra settings , the experience has been nice till now.

MSI is expensive and doesnt have after sales support as of LENOVO and only benefit I see with MSI is better screen quality , although color calibration did improve the Y50 display noticeably. Better save those bucks and Get A SSD, will give much better performance , even replacing the Y50 screen is also easy.

It's highly unlikely you will get bad product this time too.

Macbooks aren't means for gaming so better stay away.

OP
G

GiMMiG

Broken In
[MENTION=277744]vineetpratik[/MENTION] Good to hear that you are having a positive experience with the Y50. Although, gaming is not my primary concern. Like I said earlier, I want powerhouse that has excellent hardware configuration and will last 4-5 years and is not bulky. I might play games for 1-2 months every year and use it for work for the remaining 11 months every year. I loved the keyboard on the Y50 and thought it was flawless. The touchpad on the other hand broke my heart. I don't want to be using an external mouse for non gaming tasks because it's a laptop and not a desktop.

Have you used the touchpad enough? Do you think that this laptop is built in a way to last me 4-5 years? I don't want it to be falling apart even before it reaches the 3 year mark. I somehow feel that the Y50 is more of a use and throw laptop in the sense, it has all the juice but you can't squeeze it out for more than a year or so.

OP
G

GiMMiG

Broken In
[MENTION=277744]vineetpratik[/MENTION] In addition to my post above, I had also provided details about my issue with the Y50 in the Y50 thread. Can you see my post and check if you have the issues that I described?

OP
G

GiMMiG

Broken In
I ended up buying the Y50 again on 3rd Oct. I have to make a DD of 999 rs to avail the extended warranty and get a 1k mAh charger.

I have tried reproducing the issues that I had on my earlier Y50 and I am happy to say that one of the major issues that I had with my older purchase is not present in my new purchase. That being said, I still have issue with the touchpad such that two finger scroll does not work seamlessly. I have to move the cursor to a location on the screen that has minimal text and then use two finger scroll. If I don't do this, the touchpad starts highlighting the text automatically.

I guess I will have to suck up to these issues as I am tired of not having a laptop.

Top Bottom